U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,316,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Tweezing most certainly is an option. Reign in the indignation.

I have PCOS, and would have quite a moustache if I did not tweeze for about 10 minutes daily. I will occasionally wax, and will eventually pay for electrolysis, but I could get along for the rest of my life concealing the 50 or so dark coarse hairs on the upper lip (plus double that in fine hair) with nothing but a pair of tweezers.

If one has never done anything, then starting off with a pair of tweezers would be time consuming, but that is not the case for daily maintenance.

IMO, I would say that many women do not view tweezing their mustache as an option because it can be painful and time consuming (like you said), not mention irritating to certainly skin types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM

26,873 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
IMO, I would say that many women do not view tweezing their mustache as an option because it can be painful and time consuming (like you said), not mention irritating to certainly skin types.
And causes discoloration and scarring if you are darker skinned.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:28 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,120,147 times
Tweezing no longer hurts me even slightly. I do admit I sometimes forget that it is uncomfortable for the first couple of years. But it is incredibly cheap, and you can miss a day or two and not look like a dude (the downsides of depilating or shaving.)

Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,120,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And causes discoloration and scarring if you are darker skinned.
Is this the case if you aren't digging around, damaging the skin?

A clean pull with a magnifying mirror and a skilled hand truly should not discolor or scar.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 PM

26,873 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Is this the case if you aren't digging around, damaging the skin?

A clean pull with a magnifying mirror and a skilled hand truly should not discolor or scar.

course curly hair + darker skin tones = not easy to tweeze. Some people are more prone to ingrown hairs so it isn't exactly and easy process to remove the strays.

It takes very little to get hyper-pigmentation and dark spots if you are darker. Dry patches cause discoloration for me half of the time.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM

106 posts, read 161,129 times
Why tweeze every individual hair when you can wax and get rid of the whole shebang in a few rips?

I wouldn't recommend shaving - when hair grows back it could appear darker and thicker.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,984,874 times
I saw a woman recently with full facial hair. She was sporting quite the beard. I didn't get the impression she kept it because she was trying to start a new trend. If I had to guess, dealing with it was probably difficult for her. I couldn't imagine how she'd ever tweeze it away.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,520,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Honestly, I see more white women and hispanics with the mustache. I feel I see more black women with hairs around the chin region.
My observation, too.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM

472 posts, read 884,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

It's apparent you do not have this issue, otherwise you wouldn't even think about suggesting this kind of self-abuse. You either have to endure painful electrolysis, or irritating chemicals or waxing, and those are the best options. Tweezing is not an option, nor is shaving.

So for all of you men and any of you women who don't have facial hair, I suggest you hold your ignorant comments to yourselves because you have no idea what it's like to try to get rid of it.
Well,We know who else gets facial hair and feels insecure about it.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:41 AM

7,458 posts, read 11,124,274 times
I've only seen it once or twice. Find it disgusting and highly unattractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty