U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM
 
457 posts, read 962,006 times
Reputation: 569

Advertisements

I honestly think that some people don't even see it. They're living in denial. I have a friend who has always kindof had one and I've never been able to say anything to her about it, because it's just SO awkward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM
 
457 posts, read 962,006 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
Oh My! I can't believe people think shaving and tweezing are good solution to facial hair. Those are the worst things you can do for facial hair(except for the eyebrow area). The hair will go thicker and ingrow hairs will come sooner or later.

Waxing or laser are the solutions. Bleaching is also better than nothing. Please don't recommend something that will make the problem way worse.
I would say laser is the #1 solution. Everyone should get that done. And electrolysis, if your skin is too dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Greater LA area
15,746 posts, read 11,757,357 times
Reputation: 30583
Laser is not always good. I have a friend who had her mustache lasered. Now every time she goes in to the sun, she gets tan in her face, but the mustache area turns light pink.

Why is shaving not an option???

1. hair doesn't grow back thicker (if so, why doesn't it work on the top of your head where you need full hair??). It just SEEMS thicker because it is growing STRAIGHT out of your pore until it is long enough to lay down.
2. even IF it would come back thicker, you shave it off again anyway, so who cares??

I don't have a thick mustache but some facial hair and shave since 3 years about once per week. No biggie. I don't use foam or anything, just a pink girly $1 razor on my fresh washed skin.

If the word FACE and SHAVING sounds weird to you as a woman, you can also go to the salon and get them threaded, they remove it with a string. It may last a little longer but actually is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 AM
 
457 posts, read 962,006 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Laser is not always good. I have a friend who had her mustache lasered. Now every time she goes in to the sun, she gets tan in her face, but the mustache area turns light pink.

Why is shaving not an option???

1. hair doesn't grow back thicker (if so, why doesn't it work on the top of your head where you need full hair??). It just SEEMS thicker because it is growing STRAIGHT out of your pore until it is long enough to lay down.
2. even IF it would come back thicker, you shave it off again anyway, so who cares??

I don't have a thick mustache but some facial hair and shave since 3 years about once per week. No biggie. I don't use foam or anything, just a pink girly $1 razor on my fresh washed skin.

If the word FACE and SHAVING sounds weird to you as a woman, you can also go to the salon and get them threaded, they remove it with a string. It may last a little longer but actually is the same.
Because some people have blonde hair that will turn black once they start shaving. UM YES that's a big deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
13,441 posts, read 15,050,919 times
Reputation: 11924
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
Because some people have blonde hair that will turn black once they start shaving. UM YES that's a big deal!
Do you also throw salt over your shoulder if you spill some? I always found that one weird. Let's avoid any bad luck associated with wasting salt by... wasting more salt.

Shaving hair: Does shaved hair grow back thicker? - MayoClinic.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,465 posts, read 22,713,045 times
Reputation: 45139
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
Because some people have blonde hair that will turn black once they start shaving. UM YES that's a big deal!
How would blonde hair turn black by shaving? Cutting a hair off above the follicle isn't going to affect how it would grow out of the follicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Greater LA area
15,746 posts, read 11,757,357 times
Reputation: 30583
my hair is dark anyway. Shaved or not shaved. And my skin is very pale. No stubbles visible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
13,441 posts, read 15,050,919 times
Reputation: 11924
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
my hair is dark anyway. Shaved or not shaved. And my skin is very pale. No stubbles visible.
Maybe shaving would make it turn blonde then? Or purple? Conversation starter if nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 02:17 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
212 posts, read 317,243 times
Reputation: 319
Trust me, there are also white women w/facial hair. I recently went a Clear store to deal w/some internet situations and the lady in there had some horrible facial hair. Mustache and beard!! She was really ugly and rude. Maybe she figured she was already so ugly that it didn't matter. She may have been right. I know if I had all that going on, I would do whatever necessary to get rid of it. I do, on rare occasion, get a little hair that grows out of my chin. As soon as I notice it, I pluck it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,265,030 times
Reputation: 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
I would say laser is the #1 solution. Everyone should get that done. And electrolysis, if your skin is too dark.
Yeah, because laser hair removal and electrolysis is SO affordable, everyone can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top