U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:40 PM

18,549 posts, read 13,688,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I saw a woman recently with full facial hair. She was sporting quite the beard. I didn't get the impression she kept it because she was trying to start a new trend. If I had to guess, dealing with it was probably difficult for her. I couldn't imagine how she'd ever tweeze it away.
Was it Chaz Bono?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 03:51 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,265,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Was it Chaz Bono?
Chaz Bono is actively taking hormones and transitioning from female to male.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:47 PM

511 posts, read 690,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why isn't shaving an option? Is women's facial hair different to men's??

Men who have no facial hair whatsoever would be in the minority, me thinks lol.
Shaving is an option! I've been doing it successfully for years!

Old 03-10-2014, 04:07 PM

168 posts, read 253,620 times
I have a little bit of facial hair, like most, and I hate it! So I use an epilator about once a month. My 12 year old daughter's is really bad, so now I'm trying to talk her into using the epilator, but she's scared because I explained that it is a little painful. :-)

Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 PM

706 posts, read 912,576 times
I know a woman with a mustache, but it's a white woman. Doesn't help that she looks like an Ooompa Loompa AND has a mustache.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:05 PM

286 posts, read 373,411 times
In my area I see a lot of Cambodian women with mustaches. A few non-related girls in my high school had them. No one ever teased them about it.. that I know of.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:26 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,282,375 times
For reference, here is a photo of a 110-year-old woman with both a moustache and with a beard:

Source: http://www.edp24.co.uk/polopoly_fs/i...1217408799.jpg

Old 03-10-2014, 07:38 PM

541 posts, read 692,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think just about any woman can afford a $2 pair of tweezers and figure out how to operate it.
Yep, what I was thinking. That picture on page 1 is strange. I mean, the woman had to know she's got a thick mustache, but appears content enough to take a picture with it?

Then again, I remember constantly seeing this one woman shopping and hanging around in a town I used to live in, with a full and very noticeable mustache. She was always dressed very nicely (like an elegant woman), but that hairy upper lip seemed so out of place for her. I guess I don't get how some women will ignore that one thing above their upper lip but take care of everything else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
For reference, here is a photo of a 110-year-old woman with both a moustache and with a beard:

Source: http://www.edp24.co.uk/polopoly_fs/ib_6_florence_green_109_2010_1_1201369!image/1217408799.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/1217408799.jpg
Holy Cr*p! I have no words!!

Old 03-10-2014, 07:39 PM

3,263 posts, read 2,840,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think just about any woman can afford a $2 pair of tweezers and figure out how to operate it.

LMAO Gawd, that's funny. * laughing so hard, i'm crying *

Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,720,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
People don't like to talk about facial hair on women, so women don't know how to deal with it if they so choose. Removal options are painful. And things like permanent laser treatments don't work for darker women (not enough contrast between hair color and skin color.)

It is a very taboo topic.
True. The only time I've ever heard or seen anything in the media about facial hair on women was an advertisement on TV for a prescription cream called Vaniqa, and Eddie Murphy's "Aunt Bunny" bit in Delirious. Most people aren't going to broach the subject of facial hair on women with someone who happens to have it.

All women have facial hair; it's just more pronounced in women of certain ethnicities and older women, due to changes in hormones, I think.

I knew a Greek girl in high school that had a noticeable mustache, and a friend of mine gets curly hairs on her chin. We talked about it because she was the one that brought it up. She said that it's due to a hormonal disorder that also makes it touch for her to lose weight and affects fertility, but she doesn't know what.

When I was a server years ago, there was a customer whose wife had perpetual 5 o'clock shadow.

I think some women are hesitiant to shave because "that's what men do", or they believe that the hair will grow back thicker, like what was mentioned upthread. (Of course it doesn't, but what woman wants stubble on their face?) Chemical depilatories stink and they can irritate the skin. Waxing works, but can cause irritation and ingrown hairs. This one girl I worked with had a scab on her upper lip because she waxed it and it got irritated. The irritation with waxing, anyway, can be alleviated by washing the face first, applying cornstarch or baby powder, taking care that the wax is the right temperature, not waxing the same spot over and over in the same session, and using something like Tend Skin afterwards, which helps prevent ingrown hairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty