U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:40 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,872,496 times

Advertisements

Looks fine as long as nothing wacky is thrown in, like a floral shirt, athletic shoes, or some clashing color combination.

IMO, leather shoes (non athletic) are a requirement. Out here in the west, it looks fine with nice boots. This look has been around forever, and advertisements featuring variations of it, crop up every single season. This season the edgy version is probably painted on blazers and highwater skinny jeans revealing bare ankles or mismatched socks. Next season is anyone's guess.

This, like any fashion, could work well, or be entirely butchered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 PM

5,531 posts, read 8,188,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Looks fine as long as nothing wacky is thrown in, like a floral shirt, athletic shoes, or some clashing color combination.

IMO, leather shoes (non athletic) are a requirement. Out here in the west, it looks fine with nice boots. This look has been around forever, and advertisements featuring variations of it, crop up every single season. This season the edgy version is probably painted on blazers and highwater skinny jeans revealing bare ankles or mismatched socks. Next season is anyone's guess.

This, like any fashion, could work well, or be entirely butchered.
True, it's all in the details. Athletic shoes definitely don't work with a blazer. Some type of casual but slightly dressy shoe is best. And as I said, the jeans need to be softer denim, not the really hard denim, and preferably not super dark, IMO. Plus the shirt should have a collar, but no tie.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:53 PM

1,654 posts, read 6,604,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
I find that people who wear that get-up tend to be......

Yale students, Yuppies, or have rich parents and mooch off their success. if your one of them, your probably all of them.
I find this to be one of the most ignorant statements ever. I'm not trying to pick on you, but you're seriously stereotyping. Some guys just have style.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM

29,597 posts, read 31,914,576 times
My son dresses like this fairly often when he goes out with friends. He has a couple sport coats he likes to wear but the best one IMO is a blue/grey tweed one. He usually wears a tight fitting tee in a solid color under it. It's a little more grown up and dressed up than the usual jeans/band tee or plaid shirt attire he and his freinds tend to go for, and he looks more put together.

People are reading so much into a sport coat with jeans I can only assume they can't afford a sport coat, had their gf stolen by a guy in a sport coat, or maybe their mama was scared by a guy wearing a sport coat when she was pregnant. Seriously guys, it's a fracking sport coat, not a comentary on social issues or life as we know it.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,058,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
True, it's all in the details. Athletic shoes definitely don't work with a blazer. Some type of casual but slightly dressy shoe is best. And as I said, the jeans need to be softer denim, not the really hard denim, and preferably not super dark, IMO. Plus the shirt should have a collar, but no tie.
This. Classy and sexy, IMO.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM

648 posts, read 897,193 times
One of our local colleges has a "Black Tie & Blue Jeans" fundraiser every year. Dress suit jacket, black bow tie, blue jeans and cowboy boots are de riguer for the gents!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Are they trying to present an image of some kind I wonder.
Casual but polished, perhaps?

I like the look, on women and men, with any color of jeans. It's versatile and fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
I find that people who wear that get-up tend to be......

Yale students, Yuppies, or have rich parents and mooch off their success. if your one of them, your probably all of them.
I imagine, though, that people who cannot differentiate between "you're" and "your" don't "wear that get-up".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
True, it's all in the details. Athletic shoes definitely don't work with a blazer.
Try telling that to David Letterman, LOL; although I haven't watched his show in ages, so he may have given up the sneakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
People are reading so much into a sport coat with jeans I can only assume they can't afford a sport coat, had their gf stolen by a guy in a sport coat, or maybe their mama was scared by a guy wearing a sport coat when she was pregnant. Seriously guys, it's a fracking sport coat, not a comentary on social issues or life as we know it.
Heh. That's tellin' 'em!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,611,706 times
It's a great look.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:29 PM

204 posts, read 677,698 times
I've frequently worn this look since I was 14 (in my 30s), it is fairly simple without looking too dressed up or down. I went to private schools where blazers were required, so I'm used to it. I prefer the way jeans fit to most other pants, plus I like having a jacket in case it is cold or I'm going someplace where a t-shirt is too casual.

Navy blue with a dress shirt (white, blue, or pink), Grey flannel with a dress shirt (white,blue, lilac), Khaki cotton duck/camel or chocolate corduroy (white, blue or brown). I also do short or long T-shirt, spring green, bright pink, baby blue, any shade of Grey, chocolate, or lilac. Mostly dark denim, sometimes tan or grey.

Very versatile especially if you add a sweater. One trend that was short lived, maybe 5 to 10 years ago, was to wear a hoodie under a blazer. I did it, looked kind of stupid, but it was really warm/versatile for Chicago weater
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty