U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 PM

8,552 posts, read 11,879,563 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed a certain type of guy who likes to wear this combination?

Are they trying to present an image of some kind I wonder. They are showing that they are both sophisticated and "hip" at the same time, or something like that. They will look like an English teacher who is popular with his female students. Or maybe a working musician. Or just a guy who understands being the underdog, sensitive in that way, while at the same time being successful in some regard. It's not a new phenomenon. I suspect this particular style has probably stayed constant this way since the 70's at least.

No tie of course, but an open necked collared shirt most likely.

What do you think of this style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,124,493 times
Fine depending on the jean, shirt, shoes, blazer combo.

I wear a modern herringbone blazer/jeans combo and I look nothing like an liberal arts english teacher.

I like to wear different blazers with lots of combos because the help with conceal carry.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,430,462 times
if it's done with a t-shirt then it's a riff on the hip/rocker Miami Vice, David Hasselhoff look, which looks really bad & dated. But with button-up shirts it's just a way of making business casual appear more dressy.

Since the Internet revolution of the 90's and the growing social significance of start-up & tech culture in the business world, the 9 to 5 uniform of men's suits has largely been tossed out the window. Nowadays a guy has to learn to vary his dress, not only depending on his firm & sector, but his position or role, who he supervises, the clients he meets, the geographic locale he's situated in, and whether he commutes by car, train or even bicycle. In my dad's era, you just had to wear one suit and you were set to meet everyone from sales reps to execs to factory foremen. No one would question why you were dressed up.

Today it's not that simple and business casual really encompasses the whole gamut between polos & jeans to ties without blazers. I wouldn't really read into a guy's outfit without knowing his story... it's often much more than wanting to impress ladies or trying to present a "sophisticated" image.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,320,900 times
I started wearing this look when Gloria Vanderbilt started making designer jeans in the 70's so pretty much my whole adult life. Navy blazer, jeans and boat shoes or loafers, often with a t-shirt.
The look is still classic today and still so comfortable, particularly traveling.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 AM

1,033 posts, read 3,238,513 times
I find that people who wear that get-up tend to be......

Yale students, Yuppies, or have rich parents and mooch off their success. if your one of them, your probably all of them.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM

5,533 posts, read 8,190,931 times
I actually like that look, and wear it myself on occasion. It can only be done with a certain type of jeans, and it's important to wear casual leather shoes with it, preferably loafers.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 AM

571 posts, read 947,490 times
I the blazer with jeans - so long as the jeans aren't blue. Denim in navy, black, khaki, even a super dark wash. It's casual but nice.

Men don't have a whole lot of fashion choices. I'm not about to knock something that shows a little more effort than ripped jeans and a t-shirt (or flannel shirt).

Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM

505 posts, read 757,477 times
I've seen guys do this off-and-on over the years. What makes me laugh is when you see several guys all wearing the "uniform" when they are out together. There is always one or two of them that didn't have a true blazer, and ended up using a black suit jacket instead in order to blend in.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,320,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
I the blazer with jeans - so long as the jeans aren't blue. Denim in navy, black, khaki, even a super dark wash. It's casual but nice.

Men don't have a whole lot of fashion choices. I'm not about to knock something that shows a little more effort than ripped jeans and a t-shirt (or flannel shirt).
Actually it only works with bluejeans and it shouldn't imply an effort was made. Any other kind of pants and you become Moose, the football jock.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM

5,533 posts, read 8,190,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Actually it only works with bluejeans and it shouldn't imply an effort was made. Any other kind of pants and you become Moose, the football jock.
I think it works best with softer denim that's a medium color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty