U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM

91 posts, read 145,920 times

Advertisements

I decided a long time ago that if I didn't like something about my life, body, etc., I either had to accept it or address it. There is way more to "beauty" than the outside shell. Given a choice, I would pick intelligence over a model perfect face/body every time. I'm not totally against cosmetic procedures, especially procedures like cosmetic dental work or removing excess skin after a major weight loss, but time will always catch up.
-izzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,490,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Oh you know your not the only one. I remember when had just turned 21 and was starting to hit the scene and taking group pictures KILLLED! Yes I was the one who said 'Can we take that again' and everyone looking exhausted and the hot people would just do it again and friegn NAIL the shot again and go back to being as hot as they normally were. Mind you this is what evoked 'the change' and I HAD to get myself together.

Its good you said that because I was gonna ask that well know question. Would you rather be hot and dumb as rocks. Or ugly but very smart. Its been asked before but its always interesting to hear what people say in replies. I also find it interesting how people here have down the wants and needs in solid bullet points.
i am smart.. but that didn't really work in my favor after college.. how you look and who know matters about how you can succeed.. i use to say i wold never trade my intelligence to look better..but now i think i would.. just some of it..

Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM

2,960 posts, read 4,688,674 times
28 male here. Other than beginning to lose my hair in my early 20s I am happy with everything else. I've been told I have great bone structure in my face many times and I was lucky that my parents encouraged me to play lots of sports and eat healthy growing up because I still do that and have stayed in great shape. The hair thing still bothers me some because it is one of those things out of my control. Whereas I can control what I eat, drink, how I work out, how much sleep I get, how I groom, how I dress, I can't control that at all. I've had to learn to just control the things I can and not worry about the rest.

I still wouldn't even consider trading in any part of who I actually am to be physically "more attractive" though

Old 01-23-2013, 01:34 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,260,665 times
For the most part I am satisfied. My spouse tells me I am beautiful every day. I am 41 and I know I look younger, so that is nice. My teeth need some help and that bugs me and even though I look younger, I am still a bit bothered by the fact that I can see age creeping in. I try to just focus on my goals and accomplishments and family though. I got a lot of attention when I was younger for my looks, so sometimes it's weird to know that I am no longer in that category I guess. I just remember when I was considered "hot" but I also remember when no one took me seriously for that same reason so I guess it is a trade-off.

Mostly I wish that I had inherited my parent's dark hair. Seriously. I was a blonde as a little kid and then it turned "dishwater". Yuck. I have been coloring my hair in some fashion ever since I was a teen to cover the nondescript mousy dark blonde awfulness. These are my parents, back in the day (yes, my dad was losing his but he was 11 years older than mom so keep that in mind).. but note the rich dark brown, and you can't tell from the pic but my mother's eyes are green and Dad's were hazel. My oldest son got that rich chestnut brown hair that is to die for (with pale gray-green eyes too!) but not me! At least I got the green eyes, but my hair is also nowhere as thick as my mom's... it's baby fine and fairly straight. My younger son has inherited my hair color, poor thing.

Last edited by Sally_Sparrow; 01-23-2013 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: trying to re-size image

Old 01-23-2013, 03:15 PM

6,056 posts, read 7,956,243 times
I'm mostly satisfied. I think I can clean up pretty good. I want to lose 5 more pounds and I wish my boobs were bigger...but oh well.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
I hate the way I look.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM

5,258 posts, read 7,788,820 times
I'm okay with how I look, but I always strive for self-improvement in all facets of my life. There are a few physical areas here and there that I would like to improve on, or that I wish were a little different.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 PM

124 posts, read 233,480 times
Very content, although it does take a lot of self control at the grocery store... and the bar, too.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,888,570 times
I'm very comfortable with how I look. It took a long time to get here but I'm here. There are still things I need to do and that I work on but they are more for health reasons than vanity. I am satisfied. Now if you ask if I'm satisfied with my internal make up I'd have a completely different answer.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM

8 posts, read 13,772 times
I'm years overdue for a haircut, and I could wear a little makeup to cover certain "imperfections," i.e. skin blotches here and there. (I'm light-skinned and irritate easily from the cold, which it certainly is where I am.) I'm a little overweight and have some paunches here and there, but I'm not "fat," and for that, Spanx is a wonderful thing. If I could I'd do a little lipo to get rid of my double-chin, which isn't really that bad but still visible (and a genetic thing rather than due to the overweight -- even family members who I've seen in pictures as being rail-thin have a wattle, and I don't like it). A pick of the right clothing choices is better than deluding oneself into squishing into a size 0 when you're a 6 or 8. If I did any/all of these things I'd be, well, nobody is a 10 IMHO but better than what I'm at right now. I am one of the umptillion people with a flu right now and don't feel/look all that attractive, but who does when you're sick?

What I REALLY hate is not my appearance necessarily but my personality and my intelligence level. Or I do have issues with my appearance but hate the latter MUCH more. I utterly hate myself for being a wretched combo of BOTH Deschanel sisters: Zooey for the indie-chick colorful-ness and Emily for being, well, "Bones." (Which I doubt she is in real life, not in the sense of unintelligent but in the sense of insufferable "genius.") Don't get me wrong; they're pretty and all, but not what the American man who isn't Sheldon Cooper would probably find "attractive." Nobody likes a walking Encarta -- a "Chickipedia" who actually gets things accurate -- especially if it's a female compendium of useless knowledge or even useful knowledge. In other words, females who use words like "compendium."

Every so often I watch a little bit of Bill O'Reilly, and while I don't agree with everything he says politically, I always make sure not to miss the "Factor Word of the Day." I love words and factoids and abstract theories and trivia about popular culture, and have my own sort of unique way of wearing things. All of this, of course, doesn't exactly lend itself to a great deal of prospects on the friends or dating front. Add to the fact that I have one of those Marilu Henner photographic memories and you've got yourself a bona fide she-geek. Granted, I don't play video games and haven't since maybe Sonic or Star Fox were en vogue, but I've always felt ashamed of being someone who as a child watched Bill Nye The Science Guy and knew that the dude from Reading Rainbow was also on Star Trek TNG and played the slave hero from Roots. Really puts the "She" in Sheldon, no?

Nobody likes Lisa Simpson because Bart is the fun-loving sociopath and Homer's the hilarious idiot. And nobody likes Brian Griffin because he's an "intellectual," while Stewie is the hilarious sociopath and Peter is the fun-loving idiot. And probably nobody in real life would be able to tolerate more than 5 minutes of Zooey playing tambourine to some obscure indie-band karaoke while Emily gets into her role as Bones and drones on about astrophysics. If I could keep the physical genetics and have different mental genetics, to be Jessica Simpson instead of Lisa, you bet I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty