Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
I thought she looked pretty. They make a good looking couple. I enjoyed watching the dance.
I agree! I've enjoyed watching them dance since the first inauguration four years ago. There is no doubt that this is a couple who truly love each other...and that the Prez adores her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,872,469 times
well, this is going to head south quickly. Would she even be relevant if she wasn't the first lady?

that being said, it's generally best to bite your tongue if you don't have anything nice to say

Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
....it's generally best to bite your tongue if you don't have anything nice to say...
Agreed! However, this site allows us to express our views and opinions on a given subject. So it is not personal and I don't think any of us on this forum know Michelle and we probably will never even meet her.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
There's just nothing dignified or refined about her or how she projects her image. Sure, she's probably a nice enough person, but she is the First Lady, emphasis on lady.
So - was Hilary "less" of a First LADY, because she wore pants suits?

A lady is a lady, regardless of what she is wearing.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
There's just nothing dignified or refined about her or how she projects her image. Sure, she's probably a nice enough person, but she is the First Lady, emphasis on lady.
Oy. Were you outraged when the First Lady dared to touch the Queens shoulder?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,804 times
My OP addressed the effect of the dress. No comment on the woman, herself. I like her and Barack; voted and financially supported both elections. Even though the hair is off topic, I feel compelled to say that I think the bangs are great. It's just that my opinion was that the dress was unfortunate. I've never seen anything uncomplimentary about any of her other clothes, before or since. Let's consider an analogy - wide people shouldn't wear horizontal stripes; tall, skinny people probably shouldn't wear vertical stripes.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
My OP addressed the effect of the dress. No comment on the woman, herself. I like her and Barack; voted and financially supported both elections. Even though the hair is off topic, I feel compelled to say that I think the bangs are great. It's just that my opinion was that the dress was unfortunate. I've never seen anything uncomplimentary about any of her other clothes, before or since. Let's consider an analogy - wide people shouldn't wear horizontal stripes; tall, skinny people probably shouldn't wear vertical stripes.
I think people should wear what they feel they look good in and what makes them happy and confident.

I'm sure I wear a lot of things that people don't like, but that's not my problem.

A body like hers can be very difficult to dress and at some point you just have to say 'eff it all' and do whatever you want. I'm 6'1 and people tell me ALL THE TIME that I shouldn't wear heels, or that I shouldn't wear shirts that go lower than my collarbone (I'm large busted) or that I shouldn't wear skirts above the knee.

You know what? I'll wear whatever I damn well please.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 AM

684 posts, read 1,150,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think people should wear what they feel they look good in and what makes them happy and confident.
You know what? I'll wear whatever I damn well please.

These two excerpts are contradictory.
The second excerpt is patently false for anyone but a hermit.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No. A pear shape by definition means wide hips and a small to average chest. Usually a big butt goes along with it.
I would say a pear is wider at the bottom and narrower at the top. Also has a smaller waist in relationship to her hips. Many pears have small to average sized chests. But you can also be a busty pear. (this is me!)

Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
So - was Hilary "less" of a First LADY, because she wore pants suits?

A lady is a lady, regardless of what she is wearing.

Yes, Hillary's style of dressing is "no" style. I believe she wears pantsuits because her legs are not attractive and she also has wide hips; she badly needs a hair makeover these days. But she is looking more and more like the B**** she is. (She looked great in the 2008 campaign, and it was all downhill from there.)

Jackie Kennedy was pretty much skin and bones, way too thin, and her arms were not attractive in sleeveless outfits most of the time. But she obviously had great dressmakers and listened to them about her image. Well educated, and she fit the First Lady role beautifully -- while being married to a cheating ruthless Kennedy -- had to be difficult.

Poor Roslyn Carter always looked like she had just come in from picking peanuts on the farm. Klutzy, wrinkled, and had that deer in the headlights look most of the time, fawnin' ovah Jimmeee.... she always dressed like a "little girl".

Nancy Reagan wore too much red, tried to make it her "trademark"; but my goodness it was boring and she never looked "relaxed". Always ready for the right camera angle.

Laura Bush was and still is the consummate "lady" in how she dressed and her mannerisms; and always looked composed. Has a lot of class. Well educated, very intelligent, and was not born with a silver spoon in her mouth. Read her book, it's excellent.

I don't believe a lady is a "lady" regardless of what she is wearing. There are plenty of lady/females around who don't have a clue about actually being a lady, and weren't brought up to be one.

Not saying Michelle is not a lady, far from it. She's just klutzy looking, and doesn't seem to want to polish up her image; maybe has the wrong designers, makeup people, certainly needs a better hairdresser !

Every First Lady gets scrutinized, criticized, both by the public, the news media, magazines etc. Just because someone expresses an opinion or a suggestion, doesn't mean she isn't well liked. But they have a duty when in office to project a proper image in public.

No need to be so sensitive about Michelle, she is very smart and has her "path" all set up. She just needs to walk it a bit more gracefully.

There 'ya go; just spreading the love around ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty