U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
How do you guys know its pretty privelage vs personality privilage?
My best friend growing up was very nice, but ultimately had a fairly bland personality. Never really spoke unless spoken to, was slightly shy and always seemed to have a bitchy look on her face. She was very pretty though and I saw the oreferential treatment she received. On the other hand I've always been fairly extroverted and am often described as having a 'great personality (which for Women = unattractive in most cases). Like another poster mentioned, my friend was always offered help, given things and even won a speech competition in which a lot of people were angry abot because she in no way deserved to win. I remember when we were in 4H she won a county award she never actually applied, or was qualified for...and it definitely wasn't based on personality or acckmplishments.

It was really eye opening growing up with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,770,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I have. This McDonalds I used to go to a few years ago had nothing but stunning women from Central and South America.
Me to. When I worked at McDonalds as a kid we put the good looking womens on the registers and drivethrough. Ugly guys in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
And I'm a guy, so watch the winks
Strangely makes me want to wink more.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,967,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Really, no one is curious as to the circumstances that led to a free pair of pants for me?

I most certainly am , but just haven't had the opportunity to ask why until now. Enlighten me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

Oh, c'mon, TIW. We all know you're a statuesque model.

Awww shucks. It's not my "good looks" that get me freebies. It's my kindness (and generous tips. )

Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,198,795 times
Quote:
Personality plays a huge role. Being physically attractive surely helps socialize people into having good personalities and social skills. But then there are people who aren't as objectively/conventionally attractive who have great personalities and appear more attractive because of that. In school, I recall a few chubby or rather mediocre girls who fell into the 'popular' category and were involved in sports and such. Because they were confident and they were always smiling and their faces were always full of life, they were more attractive. The same very girls, if they had been down on themselves, would have appeared much less attractive. Personal psychology can shape your physical appearance! Then there are fairly good looking people who are held back because they are glum, which is probably the category I fall into.

As far as people receiving more attention and better treatment because of being attractive, I'm thinking it's difficult for most people to realize something like that is going on with them if it's something they've always experienced! It's just normal to them. It seems like only particularly astute individuals who have a lot of social experiences with people different than themselves are likely to notice the differences in the way people are treated, like maybe a really good looking girl with a slightly off looking or chubby best friend.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,443,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I most certainly am , but just haven't had the opportunity to ask why until now. Enlighten me.
Well since you asked...

I was at a casting for a runway show and after I walked one of the other models came up to me, thrust a pair of jeans at me, said something about how she doesn't have any tall skinny friends, and then walked away.

They're a bit big, but pretty expensive (at least compared to what I normally spend). I'm torn between selling them and keeping them in case I gain weight.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,967,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Well since you asked...

I was at a casting for a runway show and after I walked one of the other models came up to me, thrust a pair of jeans at me, said something about how she doesn't have any tall skinny friends, and then walked away.

They're a bit big, but pretty expensive (at least compared to what I normally spend). I'm torn between selling them and keeping them in case I gain weight.

How big and what's the inseam?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM

8,273 posts, read 10,516,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
I eventually got tired of working so hard to be above standard, and decided to fall back in love with my natural so-so-standard self. I'm not a gym slave, I don't blow cash on my hair/hands/face like a few years back, but I have time now to do stuff that fulfills me, like garden, craft, walk through the woods and enjoy the planet instead of the gym and spend time with my baby and hubby!
Happy for you, as long as your husband does not get a wandering eye.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,262,662 times
Quote:
Well for me personally? Cuz I was always the sort who gives off a bitchy vibe. I've been told a thousand times that I am "kinda scary" or that I look mad or unhappy. I am not at all extroverted or bubbly. I am overall a nice person but you'd have to get to know me to know that. So for me it couldn't have been personality privilege. Like what JetJockey described earlier.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,770,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Well for me personally? Cuz I was always the sort who gives off a bitchy vibe. I've been told a thousand times that I am "kinda scary" or that I look mad or unhappy. I am not at all extroverted or bubbly. I am overall a nice person but you'd have to get to know me to know that. So for me it couldn't have been personality privilege. Like what JetJockey described earlier.
Holy cow. Maybe the other person felt intimidated and robbed?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,262,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

As far as people receiving more attention and better treatment because of being attractive, I'm thinking it's difficult for most people to realize something like that is going on with them if it's something they've always experienced! It's just normal to them. It seems like only particularly astute individuals who have a lot of social experiences with people different than themselves are likely to notice the differences in the way people are treated, like maybe a really good looking girl with a slightly off looking or chubby best friend.

You definitely notice when you are the former "hot chick" who gets fat or old (or both). BTDT.

Honestly I about had a breakdown in my early 20's over this. I had always been "sought after", and I hate to type this because it sounds so awfully conceited but I only say it because I heard it numerous times; in the small town I grew up in (about 10,000 people) I was commonly referred to (in my teens) as "one of the hottest" or "one of the prettiest" in town. I was in beauty pageants and later on bikini contests and all that jazz too. (and won!)

Well, I got pregnant and had a baby and gained way too much weight. My pregnancy was followed by a deep depression where I gained even more. I had never really struggled with weight aside from being chubby in my pre-teen years which went away when I hit puberty, and turned into awesome curves. All of a sudden I was feeling like a stranger in my own body. I went from a size 7 to a size 20 and at first reacted by wearing huge tent dresses, staying home, and crying. To make matters worse I developed acne as a result of post-baby hormones, acne like I had NEVER had in my teen years.

So much of my self worth was wrapped up in being physically attractive that when that was no longer the case, I felt totally worthless.

I eventually got the weight off but I still struggle a little and I have never been really able to maintain a "slim" figure since then. I fall in the range now of average to slightly above average in weight and size.

Now I am 41 and my "hotness" has diminished for other reasons. I consider myself to be reasonably attractive still but it's not like it was, obviously...

Anyway I have seen first hand what it is like to be treated differently based on appearance from my own experiences. The good thing about all of this is that I learned a lot about myself and learned a great deal about my own worth OUTSIDE of looks. I started to care more about my personality and my intellectual abilities and really it made me a lot less shallow. I will freely admit that I was a very shallow young woman for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty