Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times

Advertisements

Just was watching How i met your mother last episode, and Robin (a beautiful woman) had some clip showing all the privileges she had for being beautiful, like getting free stuff, not having to wait in line for anything, not having to pay for anything, not even rent, and so on.

Of course it was a hyperbole to make people laugh, but i do think Beautiful people get a lot of advantage in real life.

Is there anyone here that have had this sort of treatment?
Like being able to not wait in line due to being pretty, or getting free stuff, or whatever. I bet they are a lot of examples. I have a model male friend who is EXTREMELY beautiful and the other day he was telling me and my friend all the advantages he haves and we were like .

I have had some advantages here and there, but very small ones (like when i was in Paris in October, the clerck of an internet point didnt wanted to charge me and keep asking me how i was doing and where was i from, etc. Also when i was younger, guys gave me free stuff in bars, etc), but i think there are more related to being a woman (most women get free drinks in pubs/bars at one point in their life) than to being beautiful. I ve never got any strong advantage for my physical beauty. Of course im just average. But maybe the beautiful people here can share their stories

ps: oh, well i just remember one boss i had a few years ago told me, after i started working, that he hired me cause of my resume picture, and cause i was beautiful. But he was more teasing with me than being truthful, i think. Thats the closest to "beautiful privilege" i got, and i dont think it was even true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
An attractive woman will always have a job. It may not be glamorous, but there will be something available to tide her over until she finds something else she'd rather be doing. My sister has never been unemployed for longer than a month.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I'm not beautiful, but I get free stuff/discounts pretty often (from men and women). Maybe because I am smiley and bubbly. Or because I am oddly memorably.

I bought some jewelry last week, and the clerk took $40 off my order, for no reason. (The final total was $120). I have probably spent $350 there over the course of 5 years, I am not a regular customer by any means.

Pretty typical behavior? Free treats at the coffee shop, extra stamps on frequent buyer cards, free dessert at restaurants, random discounts or coupons. Usually 3 times a month. It mostly happens with men or women from ages of about 18 to 45 or so.

I definitely believe in pretty privilege, but there are some other types of privilege too.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
This really is a tough question to answer without sounding conceited.

There are advantages AND disadvantages to being "pretty" or "beautiful". I have been offered jobs without even completing the interview process and offered huge sign on bonuses, etc (particularly when I was in my 20s). Men offering expensive gifts, trips, and to "keep" me etc. But I have also had a stalker, have been assaulted (in a situation that was partially based on my looks) and had a few male bosses (and one female boss) be "extremely inappropriate" (in ways that I won't get into here)

Trying not to sound whiny but it can be a double edged sword.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This really is a tough question to answer without sounding conceited.

There are advantages AND disadvantages to being "pretty" or "beautiful". I have been offered jobs without even completing the interview process and offered huge sign on bonuses, etc (particularly when I was in my 20s). Men offering expensive gifts, trips, and to "keep" me etc. But I have also had a stalker, have been assaulted (in a situation that was partially based on my looks) and had a few male bosses (and one female boss) be "extremely inappropriate" (in ways that I won't get into here)

Trying not to sound whiny but it can be a double edged sword.
Agreed. But I'd still take being good looking over being ugly.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
I've gotten free stuff, but I'm pretty certain it's unrelated to looks.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
Prettier women always get help, even when they don't need it.
A friend of mine and I were traveling. She would be considered the pretty one - actually because of her thinner frame. I was carrying a heavy suitcase, she had a smaller bag. But people came to her, asking if she needed help with her baggage. Noone ever asked me. She ended up accepting to have her bag carried in order to help me with my own luggage as I was struggling down a staircase!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
People care more about your problems and are more willing to help you.

I remember when I was in HS my teacher let me out 10 mins earlier because I had a baseball game to go to. I met up with a friend and while I was walking to my locker I saw this really attractive girl who was just crying next to her locker. When I came back from the otherside of the of the floor(took Maybe 3 mins) there was no lie around 30 people around her trying to console her. It was crazy lol. I guarantee if she was ugly there wouldn't have been that level of response, DL hughley referenced a situation like this in a joke too

Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 AM

741 posts, read 1,287,970 times
I am of "standard" looks, when I was younger my parents had no idea how to groom me etc so I fell into the "ugly" category (not overweight, think frizzy hair, dirty clothes etc). I learned VERY QUICKLY as a child about this difference between people. I figured out who the pretty ones were and observed them playing with the "choice" toys, sitting in the "choice" spots in the classroom. I was not angry or really jealous, I was just observing this pattern. Later the "pretty ones" went on to lead sports teams and social clubs. I've always wondered, was it because over years of being picked on my confidence was around zero, so I never "put myself out there", just looked for ways to fade into the background, and that's why the "pretty ones" were in the social positions they were, because us "ugly ones" had been trained by our peers to take a back seat? Any way, once I started grooming, being more active, learning how to dress etc, I suddenly found I was "promoted" from ugly to standard, and it was shocking! When a guy approached me and said hi or I was given a free coffee, I would get nervous and scared, wondering if this was the start of some elaborate prank to humiliate me. After awhile I began to get more accustomed to being "standard", and decided to dabble in becoming "above standard".
I spent money to do my hair and nails, spent money on treatments to keep my acne at bay, but the number one thing...I became a gym slave and kept myself at an artificially low weight. I started having ALOT more guys talk to me at random times, like in the gym or grocery store, but I also attracted the attention of a crazy stalker who followed me to work.
Anyhoo, I eventually got tired of working so hard to be above standard, and decided to fall back in love with my natural so-so-standard self. I'm not a gym slave, I don't blow cash on my hair/hands/face like a few years back, but I have time now to do stuff that fulfills me, like garden, craft, walk through the woods and enjoy the planet instead of the gym and spend time with my baby and hubby!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 AM

This thread begs for some radiohead. Nothing like a good self esteem boost to start the day off right!

Radiohead - Creep - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty