U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:49 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,972,682 times

Advertisements

Why are most Boomers opposed to trimming or even shaving body hair. My MIL was horrified when she found out that her daughter shaved her arms (I could only imagine her opinion if she knew what else). It seems that most Boomers feel this way. Generation X seems to be on board with overall body hair control while the Gen Y seem to just be shaving everything away. But back to the initial point, why are Boomers so opposed to at least basic grooming. I swear whenever I use the mens room I see hair in the urinal that is longer than my head hair. Pretty gross if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM

3,687 posts, read 3,922,089 times
Why are the newer generations so preoccupied with removing all of their hair? That's what I don't get. I think the older generation says that they groom and trim when necessary but removal of all of your hair is weird. I don't mind saying it. I think don't think these people are not concerned with hygiene and/or appearance, it's just that you learn to accept who you are, make adjustments as necessary and then go on with your day. All this shaving is itchy and time consuming. I'm not saying you should go around be unkempt (although if that's your preference...)but from my perspective, some of that stuff is just weird and unnecessary.

As a personal preference, the smoother the guy is, the more pansy I think he is...because he went out of his way to be hairless. I'm not talking about the face...but everything else? It's weird and slightly un-masculine. I'm not judging anyone though...if they want to take those steps, then by all means...your MIL probably just doesn't see the need for shaving arms.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,829,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Why are most Boomers opposed to trimming or even shaving body hair. My MIL was horrified when she found out that her daughter shaved her arms (I could only imagine her opinion if she knew what else). It seems that most Boomers feel this way. Generation X seems to be on board with overall body hair control while the Gen Y seem to just be shaving everything away. But back to the initial point, why are Boomers so opposed to at least basic grooming. I swear whenever I use the mens room I see hair in the urinal that is longer than my head hair. Pretty gross if you ask me.
What does shaving or trimming body hair have to do with grooming?

I think the razor bumps on women who shave their pubic area is pretty gross if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Why are the newer generations so preoccupied with removing all of their hair? That's what I don't get. I think the older generation says that they groom and trim when necessary but removal of all of your hair is weird. I don't mind saying it. I think don't think these people are not concerned with hygiene and/or appearance, it's just that you learn to accept who you are, make adjustments as necessary and then go on with your day. All this shaving is itchy and time consuming. I'm not saying you should go around be unkempt (although if that's your preference...)but from my perspective, some of that stuff is just weird and unnecessary.

As a personal preference, the smoother the guy is, the more pansy I think he is...because he went out of his way to be hairless. I'm not talking about the face...but everything else? It's weird and slightly un-masculine. I'm not judging anyone though...if they want to take those steps, then by all means...your MIL probably just doesn't see the need for shaving arms.
You stated this much more politely compared to what I was thinking.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM

27,427 posts, read 17,619,243 times
My mom(s) and auntie's are all pro "grooming" and they are in their 60s and 70s.

Not so much waxing and stuff though. They are very aware that we remove hair in a variety of ways. The only thing that surprised my mom was that guys do their nether regions too, and all she had to say was "it's about time!"

Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Maybe the next generation will think we are all weird for being opposed to removing our eyebrows. Because hair is sooooooo groooooooosssssssss, right?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
Reminds me of the anal bleaching conversation.

Man o man could this thread go south quick.

Nothing wrong with a little fluff in my book.

Not big on the hirsute look either so I'd vote for high and tight.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,420 posts, read 16,677,475 times
New born babies and children before pubertry are hairless. Adults aren't. Hair does not preculde grooming or we'd all be shaving our heads.

Guys that shave it all off just look plastic. If I was going to date, that would be a total no no. Those who need it all shaved away would make me wonder about them. Women who save their *arms* need some body image therapy. Give me a furry chest. Certainly other places.

I like hairy chins too.

Men that waste time turning themselves into 'babies' are not real men in my book.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM

31,157 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Reminds me of the anal bleaching conversation.
Holy mother of peroxide!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Moderator cut: image removed

This was a fashionable look in the 70s.

This was a generation that let it 'all hang out.' I kind of like the natural aesthetic of the 60s btw. I do think it's taken a bit too far these days, not that I find a smooth body unaesthetic.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 11:30 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
New born babies and children before pubertry are hairless. Adults aren't. Hair does not preculde grooming or we'd all be shaving our heads.

Guys that shave it all off just look plastic. If I was going to date, that would be a total no no. Those who need it all shaved away would make me wonder about them. Women who save their *arms* need some body image therapy. Give me a furry chest. Certainly other places.

I like hairy chins too.

Men that waste time turning themselves into 'babies' are not real men in my book.
Actually babies in the womb have a fine coating of hair which falls off prior to birth. Interestingly baby girls are hairier than baby boys. Babies and children are not completely hairless, and their hairiness depends on genetics. I once saw a 6 year old boy with very noticeable back hair (he was of Middle Eastern background) was surprised me since I thought that sort of hair was a post-puberty thing! I've also seen some girls and boys with noticeable hair on their arms and legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty