U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 AM

20,715 posts, read 15,475,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Holy freak, what is wrong with you? Since when is a woman only a woman if she fits a certain body type? The body you describe isn't that of a 12 year old or a bird, so I would thank you to stop using such ignorant, hateful, offensive terms. The body you describe is that of a normal, adult woman who may not fit into what you consider the way a woman should look, but who gave you license to decide what an entire gender should and should not look like? Shockingly, women do not exist merely to turn you on so STOP treating us like objects.

I know you get a kick out of making a thread out of every fleeting thought that passes through your head, but maybe next time pause and actually think for more than ten seconds what you're saying because this thread is the most vile, sexist POS that I've read in awhile.
If you think this is, "vile, sexist POS", you've heard nothing.

And he does have a point, I know plenty of women who want to be stick thin and then go and get breast enlargements. It's not being sexist, it's asking WHY do they do that? Why do they go hungry all day, counting out every single bite they eat and then get enlargements?

I've never understood it, I never will. And I'm also female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,661,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Those things come on with age and poor care. I see people complain about them up and down all the time.
Why can't men complain about that if you note on the offensive look of a big forehead? You can tend to the flaws you noted the quote above.

Big foreheads(a negative visual aspect that affects attractiveness according to your preferences earlier in the thread)..not really. Just like people that have naturally narrow hips and are top heavy. Why would you select being with someone romantically if you were not attracted to them?
I never said anything about big foreheads. You have me confused with someone else.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM

1,699 posts, read 3,379,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post

Size 18/20 isn't hot, it never has been and never will be. Cellulite isn't hot, hasn't been and never will be.
Some cultures around the world prefer fat and even obese women. A huge, fat body really is their idea of beauty. Also, cellulite was celebrated in art at various times in history. Rubenesque bodies were the cultural ideal.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 AM

634 posts, read 785,892 times
Quote:
I will just say this since no one else will. The attacks on athletic and slim/slender body types is clearly coming from overweight or "curvy" people. I cannot stand to read the amount of nonsense spewed by people claiming men prefer curvy this and that, women think people who work out don't look their best.

This is utter ignorance, I would take the body of a gymnast, track athlete, runner, natural slim/athletic over some hog that has cellulite in her late teens or 20s. If looking good was as easy as doing nothing, eating garbage and then putting tight clothes on you so you look like a sausage then everyone would be a supermodel.

Size 18/20 isn't hot, it never has been and never will be. Cellulite isn't hot, hasn't been and never will be. Don't slam people who workout from afar because you are too lazy to workout and/or eat right.

a beautiful body is one that is not fat or curvy, of course there are some exception but for any man especially to say they prefer overweight women to an athletic build is lying or weird.
Thank you!!! Finally another voice of reason.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM

946 posts, read 790,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Some cultures around the world prefer fat and even obese women. A huge, fat body really is their idea of beauty.
Where exactly is this preferred?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,149,199 times
Quote:
Where exactly is this preferred?
Top 10 Countries Celebrating Female Obesity | TopTenz.net

Personally I don't think size or shape matters much. I've seen beautiful women who are skinny, chunky, curvy, fat and obese. I've seen women in all of those same categories who from my point of view were not attractive as well. There is no ideal in terms of what is beautiful as it is subjective. It's really a non-issue.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM

946 posts, read 790,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Top 10 Countries Celebrating Female Obesity | TopTenz.net

Personally I don't think size or shape matters much. I've seen beautiful women who are skinny, chunky, curvy, fat and obese. I've seen women in all of those same categories who from my point of view were not attractive as well. There is no ideal in terms of what is beautiful as it is subjective. It's really a non-issue.
Most of those countries aren't even civilized, so considering they probably believe in myths that have been disproved hundreds of years ago they have zero credibility. A sign of health they claim? Well I am going to side with the medical community on this one and leave the Afghanistans of the world to believe that being overweight is healthy.

So how exactly do you judge beauty? You must solely base it off the face, because how can one person be very fit, lean and in shape and also be ugly and pretty? That doesn't pass a test of logic, unless it has no bearing on your assertion of the beauty of the specific subject in the first place.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Most of those countries aren't even civilized, so considering they probably believe in myths that have been disproved hundreds of years ago they have zero credibility. A sign of health they claim? Well I am going to side with the medical community on this one and leave the Afghanistans of the world to believe that being overweight is healthy.
The point is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and standards of beauty are shaped by culture and they change over time.

Quote:
So how exactly do you judge beauty? You must solely base it off the face, because how can one person be very fit, lean and in shape and also be ugly and pretty? That doesn't pass a test of logic, unless it has no bearing on your assertion of the beauty of the specific subject in the first place.
Someone can be fit, lean and in shape with an ugly face. Someone can be overweight and out of shape with a pretty face. I have no idea why you think I said that a person can be ugly and pretty because I didn't. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What one person finds ugly, another might find attractive. Some people are very narrow in their views and only find slender women attractive or overweight women attractive. I think that woman in all shapes can be attractive or unattractive and that beauty is not limited to one type over another. I'd say the same holds true for men.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 AM

I'm adding a link to a brief article about how ideal body types are shaped by culture:

The Body Project
Quote:
Such variations in ideals of beauty often reflect the roles women and men are expected to fulfill in a given society. For instance, in contexts where women are valued mainly for their fertility—their ability to bear and nurture children—often full-bodied women with broad hips and ample breasts are considered the most beautiful. In societies such as Fiji, large bodies are a symbol of one’s status and power. It is not surprising, therefore, that individuals who would be classified as obese in the US are considered the most attractive and desirable members of this culture.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM

634 posts, read 785,892 times
Quote:
Someone can be fit, lean and in shape with an ugly face.
And still be considered sexy and/or hot. She will never be "dateless" or have trouble finding men who would be interested in her physically to want to date. I know a LOT more "buttaface" chicks who are happy with their bodies, lives, love life, etc. than women who are overweight/obese with pretty faces.

Quote:
Someone can be overweight and out of shape with a pretty face.
And will be considered unattractive by most. Overweight/obese is just the dealbreaking / breaking point for the majority of men when it comes to women. As I have said above, the majority of buttaface women I know are happy with themselves and their love lives. The overweight/obese women I know with prett faces ALL have difficulty attracting guys and getting dates, plus a lot of them WISH they could do something about their bodies and many of them ARE doing something to improve themselves, their lives, their health, etc. Instead of just standing pat.

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What one person finds ugly, another might find attractive. Some people are very narrow in their views and only find slender women attractive or overweight women attractive. I think that woman in all shapes can be attractive or unattractive and that beauty is not limited to one type over another.
This may be true to you, but for most of the WORLD, there is a standard of beauty when it comes to women and being overweight/obese does NOT fit that standard.

I challenge you to come with a couple of names of overweight/obese women that MEN generally would find attractive. Adele? No way. Christina Hendricks? Maybe. Kim Kardashian? Well, she's no where near being overweight/obese but accoding to most women who post about her here on CD, she is "Fat", but she and her NATURAL (i.e., non siliconed) body is universally recognized as being a sex symbol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or