U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I don't understand the "no waist" comment. These women have little fat around their waist and defined abs. The biggest difference between the size of women's hips is how much fat they are carrying on them. The majority of women are carrying way too much fat, and their hips and butts are where it accumulates.
Generally speaking, while their waists are small, there is little difference between waist and hips. Hence the idea of "no waist."

Also, some people store fat mostly around their hips (which is not a health problem) and other people also have wider pelvises/wider hip bones, giving them an "idealized" waist hip ratio.

In terms of fat accumulation, around the waist is a problem. Hips, thighs, and butt have limited health impact and can also be protective according to many studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM

2,224 posts, read 2,866,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Generally speaking, while their waists are small, there is little difference between waist and hips. Hence the idea of "no waist."

Also, some people store fat mostly around their hips (which is not a health problem) and other people also have wider pelvises/wider hip bones, giving them an "idealized" waist hip ratio.

In terms of fat accumulation, around the waist is a problem. Hips, thighs, and butt have limited health impact and can also be protective according to many studies.
I wish I could rep this post four or five times, and more people need to realize the last part.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM

4,670 posts, read 5,832,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

So this is protective?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM

8,578 posts, read 5,113,105 times
Default Appearance

The next time you walk down a crowded street, start looking at ALL the women you see. The young, the old, the fat, the thin, the attractive and unattractive, but JUST THOSE WALKING with a man.

The fact is that most women have "average" appearance. What they don't understand is that genetically speaking average is appealing to many, many men. There are more "average" looking women with men, as drop-dead gorgeous ones. But women have allowed themselves to be caught up into the craze of trying to attract men using bigger boobs, face lifts, nose jobs, and now even "butt" enhancements. At the same time most of those same women want their man to see "beneath" their surface to the "real" person that they are.

How can a man see a real person if that woman has already shown she will stoop to artificial means to latch onto him? Yes, my eye is still drawn to attractive women, and I'm 66 years old. But I've been married to the same "average" woman for almost 42 years, and would not trade her for half a dozen of the most beautiful models in Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue (seven or eight, maybe, but not half a dozen! )

The point is that a woman can have an inner beauty that goes beyond any physical beauty she may be lacking. And if she can't find a man to look for that inner beauty, she's not really looking for someone to love her the way she really wants to be loved anyway.

Whenever someone uses "false" anything--false promises, false language, false smile, false appearance-- what they are likely to attract is something shallow and maybe even a little stupid.

A truly "confident" woman doesn't need bigger boobs or whatever, she needs will and determination and the kindness and pleasantness that make others want to know her better.

Best of luck, ladies.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
So this is protective?
Other people already mentioned there is a target waist size. Typically it is under 35 inches (at the high end) for women. And/or 50% of height. Or under 32 inches. So if your waist is under 32-35 the studies seem to show you have limited risk of accumulating fat around your organs. Which is the biggest risk factor for heart disease, diabetes etc.

Now if I recall, that woman is the owner of the world's largest hips. And she did post her measurements. She does have extra weight and her waist size is above the magical threshold. But she is better off than someone of similar weight who stores it mostly around her waist.

There are some pretty recent studies about women with bigger hips and thighs living longer and having lower risk of osteoporosis.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 AM

6,056 posts, read 7,956,243 times
I think everyone can work out, eat right, and be fairly fit. But being fit still doesn't look the same on everyone. I could eat the same diet and do the same work out as another 29 y/o woman and our bodies wouldn't look the same. I'm not sure what women the OP knows who aspire to look like 12 y/o boys. No woman that I know wants to look like a 12 y/o boy. As far as the boobs, women can't help how big or small they are. Mine are small and short of getting a boob job that isn't going to change. Seems like as women we just can't win. If you're very small then you get told you look like a boy and you need to eat something. If you're curvy then you're told to go on a diet because you're too big. I personally do the best I can, though in another thread I guess some people decided it was deceitful for me to wear a padded push up bra. Maybe women should just stop shaving, stop doing our hair, stop wearing makeup, or caring if our clothes look nice. 100% natural. Seems we can't win either way.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,696,893 times
Got me. I'm married to a black girl with a backside that causes men to walk into lamp posts.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM

195 posts, read 285,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The term "athletic build" when applied to women often is a euphemism for thin and flat-chested. There are a lot of men to don't like that.
LOL I didn't know that, I knew about "curvy"

Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
So this is protective?
BBC News - Having a big bum, hips and thighs 'is healthy'

^ There you go. Obviously that woman is on the "extreme" end of things. But lets put it this way, if you are female, having waist-hip measurements of 30-42 is healthier than 34-40, if you are average american female height. Even though one of those women might appear bigger than the other one.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM

195 posts, read 285,782 times
There are different type of curves. There are youth curves and excessive fat curves in the wrong places. Most people like the first, and many don't like the second.

Well as we women get older we lose our curves. We also start accumulating fat in the wrong places and go from hourglass, chunky or stick figures to mother and granmother bodies. So enjoy it while it last, whatever you think it is beautiful. For me curves look more youthful(therefore pretty, fertile) that is because there is more contrast from those bodies to the older ones.

I know some people don't like hips but when I see then I see youth. The same with faces, losing fat in your face is a huge sign of aging.

As far as implants, well I don't know who wants to be the 75 year old granma who needs to replace their implants? Is that even covered by Medicare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or