U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,251,574 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
This isn't about an opinion, this is about your sexist and insulting tone. There's a thread on the exercise board asking why so many women want to have slim hips. Not insulting, not demeaning to any one body type, just a question. What's not okay is referring to one of the many normal variations in the female form as prepubescent or bird like. It's rude, objectifying, and you should know better. This question is no different than asking "Why are so many women shaped like whales?" Or "why do so many men shave their faces to look like little boys?" Or "why do so many men want to look gay by wearing purple shirts?" It's idiotic and it's not okay.
Look I wasn't even demeaning that look, like I said if you're naturally like this and still healthy (that includes a balanced diet and not starving yourself to be a shape you're naturally not) then great. This look can look good on some women, for sure, even though many models are naturally like that, probably the vast majority will have to have uber-strict diets, and well, I don't think a skeletal looking for a normal healthy adult woman , a type that represents a minority, should be held up as an ideal. I just think being so skinny but wanting big boobs is ridiculous. I guess at least the modelling industry doesn't care so much about the ****, and underwear models are a bit bustier. But even those are getting skinnier and skinnier than the 80s and 90s, I notice.

You're free to start any of those sort of threads you like. I won't get offended. I'm sorry but you're bound to insult some people going through life, and this is nothing to do with sexism...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 PM
 
145 posts, read 184,196 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think you are ignoring the whole Kim Kardashian booty phenomenon. Jennifer Lopez started it. .

I think black women started it loooooooooooooooong before J-Lo.


But if you're only exposure to other races is from TV, I get your point.




RJK,
Bootyologist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 PM
 
449 posts, read 704,964 times
Reputation: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
I think black women started it loooooooooooooooong before J-Lo.


But if you're only exposure to other races is from TV, I get your point.




RJK,
Bootyologist
True. Black women started that long ago but JLO got credit for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,453,041 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Look I wasn't even demeaning that look, like I said if you're naturally like this and still healthy (that includes a balanced diet and not starving yourself to be a shape you're naturally not) then great. This look can look good on some women, for sure, even though many models are naturally like that, probably the vast majority will have to have uber-strict diets, and well, I don't think a skeletal looking for a normal healthy adult woman , a type that represents a minority, should be held up as an ideal. I just think being so skinny but wanting big boobs is ridiculous. I guess at least the modelling industry doesn't care so much about the ****, and underwear models are a bit bustier. But even those are getting skinnier and skinnier than the 80s and 90s, I notice.

You're free to start any of those sort of threads you like. I won't get offended. I'm sorry but you're bound to insult some people going through life, and this is nothing to do with sexism...
Are you really this dense? It's not about what you like or dislike, no one cares what kind of woman you fantasize about. It would be totally reasonable to have a discussion about the dichotomy of the small body/large breast "ideal" (though I have no idea where you get that image, it's not a reflection of actual praised body types in the media).

Regardless of what you claim your intentions were, using terms like "12 year old girl" and "hairless bird" or describing a body as stick thin with balloon like breasts show just how little you think of women, that we are nothing but images to you that either fit what you think they should be or they don't and should be ashamed of that fact. You clearly set this thread up just so men could say "Well that's not what I like. I want a REAL woman." And so women can say "I love my curves, I would never want to look like those stick figures in magazines!" Everyone happily puts themselves above these women because you've objectified them.

You could have actually had a great discussion about the disconnect between what men say they want, what the media features, and how women deal with these pressures but no, it's easier to cast out this group of women to be mocked and disposed of without bothering to consider that they're actual human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,251,574 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Are you really this dense? It's not about what you like or dislike, no one cares what kind of woman you fantasize about. It would be totally reasonable to have a discussion about the dichotomy of the small body/large breast "ideal" (though I have no idea where you get that image, it's not a reflection of actual praised body types in the media).

Regardless of what you claim your intentions were, using terms like "12 year old girl" and "hairless bird" or describing a body as stick thin with balloon like breasts show just how little you think of women, that we are nothing but images to you that either fit what you think they should be or they don't and should be ashamed of that fact. You clearly set this thread up just so men could say "Well that's not what I like. I want a REAL woman." And so women can say "I love my curves, I would never want to look like those stick figures in magazines!" Everyone happily puts themselves above these women because you've objectified them.

You could have actually had a great discussion about the disconnect between what men say they want, what the media features, and how women deal with these pressures but no, it's easier to cast out this group of women to be mocked and disposed of without bothering to consider that they're actual human beings.
I'm speaking in a detached, observational sense: maybe the imagery/comparisons aren't totally original, and while slightly derisive are not intended to de-humanise (although I can understand if it comes across that way), but I'm just using graphic imagery to try to get my point across. No, this thread was not set up as a bash-fest or to elicit those kinds of responses, I did want to have a deeper sociological dig, but maybe the subject elicits too much strong emotions from people/is too controversial to be discussed rationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,453,041 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm speaking in a detached, observational sense: maybe the imagery/comparisons aren't totally original, and while slightly derisive are not intended to de-humanise (although I can understand if it comes across that way), but I'm just using graphic imagery to try to get my point across. No, this thread was not set up as a bash-fest or to elicit those kinds of responses, I did want to have a deeper sociological dig, but maybe the subject elicits too much strong emotions from people/is too controversial to be discussed rationally.
Then time to attach yourself and start treating women as human beings (yes, even celebrities and beauty queens) instead of theoretical objects. Because, again, despite your intentions your words tell a different story. It's likes starting a thread on the obesity trend and referring to overweight men and women as piggies or whales or cows that can't stop swallowing chicken wings whole.

Next time be more responsible with your words and put some thought into their implications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,251,574 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Then time to attach yourself and start treating women as human beings (yes, even celebrities and beauty queens) instead of theoretical objects. Because, again, despite your intentions your words tell a different story. It's likes starting a thread on the obesity trend and referring to overweight men and women as piggies or whales or cows that can't stop swallowing chicken wings whole.

Next time be more responsible with your words and put some thought into their implications.
Obviously, you don't know how I behave in real life or treat women. I don't think any of my threads were disrespectful to women as a whole, they just happened to offend you so you pull out that card. Well it won't work with me.

I'm talking in this way because these are the 'tropes' that are popular with society. You just feel threatened when people attack your precious modelling fraternity which glamourises something that others don't automatically go gaga about. Well it's time to accept that people have other views that you might feel uncomfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,934 posts, read 6,591,320 times
Reputation: 5456
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,453,041 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Obviously, you don't know how I behave in real life or treat women. I don't think any of my threads were disrespectful to women as a whole, they just happened to offend you so you pull out that card. Well it won't work with me.

I'm talking in this way because these are the 'tropes' that are popular with society. You just feel threatened when people attack your precious modelling fraternity which glamourises something that others don't automatically go gaga about. Well it's time to accept that people have other views that you might feel uncomfortable with.
And by "other views" you mean "women who are thin aren't real women. Eeeew, they're skeletons who like like prepubescent stick insects" because that's all that threads like this elicit (which you should know, you've made near identical threads in the past).

FYI I don't fit the physical standard you described and yet I'm still capable of being sensitive to those who don't look like I do. I don't know anything about your offline persona but your online behavior is sexist and insensitive. If you don't want to be perceived as such then realize it and fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,251,574 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
And by "other views" you mean "women who are thin aren't real women. Eeeew, they're skeletons who like like prepubescent stick insects" because that's all that threads like this elicit (which you should know, you've made near identical threads in the past).

FYI I don't fit the physical standard you described and yet I'm still capable of being sensitive to those who don't look like I do. I don't know anything about your offline persona but your online behavior is sexist and insensitive. If you don't want to be perceived as such then realize it and fix it.
That's how you're seeing it...for a start I'm just asking a question, as i've done in all my threads. I haven't said 'most of these models are just gross'. The strongest I've said is I don't find it appealing or i think it's an unnatural standards. I've even said slim women can be attractive. In other threads I cited actually underweight women. I know I might not be sensitive enough for those more emotionally inclined, but I'm criticising societal attitudes more so than the individuals, we're all humans underneath. My original premise, before my message got muddied, was that the idea of being very thin and having big boobs is what MANY women aspire to. Of course, most other posters could just answer the proposition without having to go on the attack... Maybe comparing some women to 12 years might seem insensitive and wasn't the best way to be objective...I'm sorry if I offended you personally, not my intent, I hope you can see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top