Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Sorry I meant to say if some/many black women, but of course individuals of all races vary. I guess what I'm saying is I don't really dig the extremes too much. Large hips are seemingly more preferred (so the scientists tell us) but I've noticed right now they're not that fashionable.
Why don't we start easy? Citations of any evidence that small hips are preferred over wide hips? If you're going to ru. Around making such wild claims, you should have plenty of examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Sorry I meant to say if some/many black women, but of course individuals of all races vary. I guess what I'm saying is I don't really dig the extremes too much. Large hips are seemingly more preferred (so the scientists tell us) but I've noticed right now they're not that fashionable.
I think we are on the same page,but using different words.
When I say large hips,I mean large hips in relation to a small waist. The 0.7 ratio.
So, 24 inch waist and 36 inch hips. 36 inch hips aren't large,but in relation to a small waist they are.
While 34 inch waist and 36 inch hips are considered big in relation to the waist.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Why don't we start easy? Citations of any evidence that small hips are preferred over wide hips? If you're going to ru. Around making such wild claims, you should have plenty of examples.
Wide hips are a feminine secondary sexual characteristic, science recognizes that, but I'm not sure overly or disproportionately-wide hips are 'supposed' to be attractive. Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian? I don't really see the appeal, nor understand the hype.

Just the same, actual 'narrow hips' are a masculine secondary sexual characteristic.

Trimac20- you should link to pictures of women with who you believe have narrow hips and who illustrate what you believe is widely considered attractive.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Wide hips are a feminine secondary sexual characteristic, science recognizes that, but I'm not sure overly or disproportionately-wide hips are 'supposed' to be attractive. Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian? I don't really see the appeal, nor understand the hype.

Just the same, actual 'narrow hips' are a masculine secondary sexual characteristic.

Trimac20- you should link to pictures of women with who you believe have narrow hips and who illustrate what you believe is widely considered attractive.
Actually I don't really notice hips that much unless they're really wide. I'm not a fan of the pear-shaped look, yet also don't want a woman who looks like superman with really broad shoulders. I guess it comes down to proportion.

Moderator cut: image removed

This isn't really a skinny vs fat debate, but I'm curious as to whether Unexpected Error or anyone else would think the model above is an okay weight.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 AM

945 posts, read 968,382 times
Quote:
I know some black and latino women especially embrace the more busty, womanly figure, but it seems the majority of white and asian women want to have skinny legs, skinny or slightly toned arms, and even narrow hips, with the only concession to curviness is perhaps boobs: but to have this figure and main a large bosom one needs enhancements, unless one is 'blessed' as they say. Of course a toned, slim and tucked tummy is still the ideal, and a slim waist. Narrow shoulders and a bony, weak looking upper body is also the order of the day.

I see not only models but women with this body type being held up as the ideal. Women who are talk and lanky, for instance, are often seen as sexy or beautiful. Decades ago they would've been considered unattractive. It seems the ideal shape in the 90s was more curvy/more womanly. A lot of the Miss Universe contestants look like skinny hairless birds in the swimsuit comp, although they are sexy, I think I prefer a bit more flesh on there, although if it's your natural body shape you can't help it.

I personally like skinnier girls, those who are more toned versus curvy. I think a lot of guys worry that a girl that is "busty" or "curvy" especially in her 18-30 year old years is going to fall apart faster than a girl who is more athletically built. When you think about athletes, a slender, smaller and tone figure is the common denominator. That is sexy to me, and most guys I know personally. In my eyes, this is genetic superiority, not only will they be less apt to change over time (sexual desire), they will also have more athletic traits for children and also less of chance for an obese child.

Something else from a man's point of view, and again most of my male friends. I think the scary part like I'm sure it is for women and men, is change. If you have a guy or girl in their twenties that is already even slightly overweight, not tone and a bad metabolism you can guarantee that they will be much worse later, to the point of almost a transformation. Someone that holds their body type for extended periods of time, seems to be women with thinner legs, arms and not a giant "booty".

I would take Gisele over Kim Kardashian any day of the week. Gisele will age much better than Kim, she will fall apart in 10 years where as I bet Gisele will look much better over time. Kim wiell be avoid the beach, showing off her legs and butt by 35-40, heck you can already tell she is getting kind of gross back there.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 AM

That's a good point. Being athletic and toned is also indicative of a healthy lifestyle, which if they keep up, will mean them looking fitter as they age.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Actually I don't really notice hips that much unless they're really wide. I'm not a fan of the pear-shaped look, yet also don't want a woman who looks like superman with really broad shoulders. I guess it comes down to proportion.

This isn't really a skinny vs fat debate, but I'm curious as to whether Unexpected Error or anyone else would think the model above is an okay weight.

Bones of Contention - UK - YouTube

That is a special on the size zero ban and shows those sizes in a healthy form. The one model they talked to (marina - dark hair) ,who is a size zero, is NOT shaped like that and looks healthy. It also covers the fact that they use females as young as 13.The model marina mentioned an 11 year old from brazil as the youngest she encountered at work.

The girl you have posted looks unhealthy to me. Not because she is skinny but her legs look flaccid like a skinny fat starvation diet. If she was super young and just had a growth spurt he leg muscles would not look so flaccid and underfed. Her skin/hair color is dull too.

I have seen this flaccid dull look in people who are heavy as well. People are just deluded to think that weight stats somehow equate to health. Your health and diet can be absolute crap at any weight.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

Bones of Contention - UK - YouTube

That is a special on the size zero ban and shows those sizes in a healthy form. The one model they talked to (marina - dark hair) ,who is a size zero, is NOT shaped like that and looks healthy. It also covers the fact that they use females as young as 13.The model marina mentioned an 11 year old from brazil as the youngest she encountered at work.

The girl you have posted looks unhealthy to me. Not because she is skinny but her legs look flaccid like a skinny fat starvation diet. If she was super young and just had a growth spurt he leg muscles would not look so flaccid and underfed. Her skin/hair color is dull too.

I have seen this flaccid dull look in people who are heavy as well. People are just deluded to think that weight stats somehow equate to health. Your health and diet can be absolute crap at any weight.
Isn't that more evidence that the ideal look is pubescent or pre-pubescent girls? I didn't even realise so many of the models were so young. These are fashion ideas that are mostly followed by GROWN ADULT WOMEN. You think all this obsessing about sizes isn't a little OCD? I just feel pity for those who have been caught up in something so stupid.

You seriously don't think the girl in the pic is too skinny? That's pretty much what you'd see in some of the concentration camps in World War II. Pretty much zero body fat. I'm sorta worried about your eyesight, or maybe the fact you have anorexia if you can consider that a healthy weight.

While I and many others personally don't find them attractive, that's the least important thing, the most important thing is it's not healthy. But I guess they'll get sucked into it and pay the consequences, and of course a lot of the people who are interested in it will continue to promote it and try to downplay it.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I have big boobs and porportionate hips with a small waist. The typical hour glass figure. 36-24-36. Women would kill for my figure. I'm very lucky and I maintain it well. Thanks mom and dad!!! (except I bought my girls)

Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Isn't that more evidence that the ideal look is pubescent or pre-pubescent girls? I didn't even realise so many of the models were so young. These are fashion ideas that are mostly followed by GROWN ADULT WOMEN. You think all this obsessing about sizes isn't a little OCD? I just feel pity for those who have been caught up in something so stupid.

You seriously don't think the girl in the pic is too skinny? That's pretty much what you'd see in some of the concentration camps in World War II. Pretty much zero body fat. I'm sorta worried about your eyesight, or maybe the fact you have anorexia if you can consider that a healthy weight.

While I personally don't find them attractive, that's the least important thing, the most important thing is it's not healthy. But I guess they'll get sucked into it and pay the consequences, and of course a lot of the people who are interested in it will continue to promote it and try to downplay it.

I don't see many grown adult women trying to look like that. Maybe younger women under 25?

Yes I think obsessing about sizes is stupid because there is no global standard when it comes to that plus with how things are cut for women it can be more about body shape type that will change what size you are. There is a wide range of sizes to be healthy and look good. Thin as possible does not look good on all types.

I said what I saw in the pic. People automatically think: "gain weight" when they see that.
But what this model would be doing by eating more would be getting more nutrients.
It looks to me like someone who had a growth spurt and went on a crash diet and keeps starving.
I would not hire her. If I was her agent I would send her to a nutritionist.
She doesn't look like she has zero body fat because she would be dead. You need essential fat to live.
Body fat percentage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
She hardly looks like a concentration camp victim. But she doesn't look healthy either.
Anorexia is a clinical diagnosis of the state of the body and a series of continual habits.
Im way too fat to be anorexic. I eat way too much as well. So sorry to worry you.

Male athletes have an extremely low body fat yet no one complains about that.
Visible abs is a very low body fat for a man. Think about that one.

Also worked in the fashion industry and when girls would look like this it was usually due to eating a crappy diet and not many calories in it.

Like the death of the model mentioned in the video.... She was living on lettuce and diet coke. THAT looks like crap if you see her last few jobs. But then you see the lovely italian girl who is the same size and her muscles are well fed and smooth. Not gaunt and hanging. The visual "ideal" to me would be the italian. not the picture you posted.

This (the picture you posted) is the skinny version of how fat people can be.
You have your super soft couchers and then you have your hard at work bear like shapes that have muscle under that fat.

This chick is a skinny coucher.

Make sense?

They both are unhealthy. One is just smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty