Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:01 AM

4 posts, read 4,772 times

Advertisements

Abs are what make a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 12:07 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
You're making it sound like skinny=feminine/fat=masculine, when it's clearly the opposite - Women need fat in their body to carry babies. Men need muscles or have a slender figure (runners, soccer players, etc).

You're clearly going by the whole women-should-be-skinny mindset. They're the ones who look like boys, ironically. They usually lack definite curves where they'd easily be mistaken for a 15 year old boy from behind.

For me personally, if you want, hugging a chubby man would feel like hugging my flabby grandma. Oh, I take it, hugging a chubby woman feels like hugging a man for you?
I disagree and I think most people look at being fat or being skinny not as a masculine thing or a feminine thing but simply being fat or skinny. According to their preferences people either view fat and skinny as good or bad regardless of gender.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,140,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In popular culture, at least, it seems a man has to have a six-pack, abs.etc to be considered have a hot or sexy BODY (not talking personality, others can be sexy because of non-physical traits but women always talk about non-physical traits), yet average male bodies are just 'meh' to women. In contrast, men find all types of body shapes sexy, some men prefer skinny, some curvier.etc. I know some women do prefer skinny guys, or chubby guys, but they are the minority.
I know a lot of women into those body types.

To me, average means fat nowadays, and I just don't find that attractive. A belly hanging over a man's belt is a big turn-off to me. He doesn't need 6 pack abs, but being very overweight is not attractive to me.

I will take skinny over that, although being bony is not very attractive. I do like very lean men, without them needing a lot of muscle.

Quote:
Do women really find the male body sexy or is it just the idea that he's strong and protective?
I find the male body very sexy, and being strong or protective doesn't do anything for me anyway. What do I need to be protected from?

Quote:
Do you think society makes it so the average male body is not appreciated?

Why are curves naturally so beautiful but the male body seen as ugly/boring?
Because society is still dominated by the "male perspective" and that includes the media and pop culture. So what straight men see as sexy becomes the symbol for sexy, and that's slender yet curvy, young, busty women with tiny noses & big lips (ie. that Franken-Kardashian creature in her plastic prime). Women who don't fit that feel pretty crappy, trust me. They don't feel appreciated either.

So in the media, the male body is dealt with as comical and often shown as something not sexually desirable, because that's how straight men tend to see other men's bodies.

There's this thing called "the male gaze" and it's how moves & TVs are shot from the male perspective - the camera slowly runs up a woman's body or focuses on her as to admire her beauty and sexiness. However, the camera is rarely turned on men in this way, and we rarely see the "female gaze" at all.

In some ways, just be grateful that your gender has less objectification.

As for working out - yes, do it for yourself, but also accept that women do notice looks too, and while you don't need to have a GQ model body, being in good shape for your body will widen your appeal.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:46 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
I like average/lean

Muscles aren't a big deal to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty