U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

In popular culture, at least, it seems a man has to have a six-pack, abs.etc to be considered have a hot or sexy BODY (not talking personality, others can be sexy because of non-physical traits but women always talk about non-physical traits), yet average male bodies are just 'meh' to women. In contrast, men find all types of body shapes sexy, some men prefer skinny, some curvier.etc. I know some women do prefer skinny guys, or chubby guys, but they are the minority.

Do women really find the male body sexy or is it just the idea that he's strong and protective? I guess i'm talking the average woman. Do you think society makes it so the average male body is not appreciated? Truth to told, it's probably happening to women too (where average is seen as 'ugly') but I'm so SICK of hearing people tell me I need to go to the gym before i can get a girl. If I go to the gym again it'll be for my own health and fitness, not solely to get a girl just because she likes muscles. Why the obsession with muscles and strength anyway? Is it all about strength and dominance?

Why are curves naturally so beautiful but the male body seen as ugly/boring?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Reputation: 16226
I don't like guys that work out religiously.

Six packs? Eh, I could take em or leave em, they don't make a difference to me. Heavily muscled? No thanks. I still watched the movie Magic Mike and giggled and oohed and ahhhd the men, but I wouldn't expect a guy to look like that nor would it make me any more attracted to him relationship wise.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,269 posts, read 12,474,250 times
Reputation: 13422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why are curves naturally so beautiful but the male body seen as ugly/boring?
Because our bodies are primitive tools. Compared to the work of art that the female form is, we just don't compare.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 AM
 
Location: East coast USA
35 posts, read 61,431 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In popular culture, at least, it seems a man has to have a six-pack, abs.etc to be considered have a hot or sexy BODY (not talking personality, others can be sexy because of non-physical traits but women always talk about non-physical traits), yet average male bodies are just 'meh' to women. In contrast, men find all types of body shapes sexy, some men prefer skinny, some curvier.etc. I know some women do prefer skinny guys, or chubby guys, but they are the minority.

Do women really find the male body sexy or is it just the idea that he's strong and protective? I guess i'm talking the average woman. Do you think society makes it so the average male body is not appreciated? Truth to told, it's probably happening to women too (where average is seen as 'ugly') but I'm so SICK of hearing people tell me I need to go to the gym before i can get a girl. If I go to the gym again it'll be for my own health and fitness, not solely to get a girl just because she likes muscles. Why the obsession with muscles and strength anyway? Is it all about strength and dominance?

Why are curves naturally so beautiful but the male body seen as ugly/boring?
This is very interesting actually. I personally could care less if a man has muscles. I've dated men on the skinny side, men on the heavier side, men on the muscular side, etc. I do believe it's all about preference. I think it's a standard that society has set for men. Society thinks muscle brings sex appeal when in reality, that's not so. Everyone may have their preferences. I'm more attracted to men that are taller than me, and bigger than me, gut or not, I actually think guts are kinda cute in a fun way. I'm kind of a small girl so a man being bigger than me isn't that hard to find. But don't get me wrong, if I met a skinny guy with an awesome personality, I would definitely give him the time of day and see where it goes. But I'm not superficial. I don't know how or why American society has become so superficial. It's just a false way to go ya know? And men can be just as superficial as women which for me is a turn off. I can't stand to hear a one hour lecture about how that woman over there minding her own business is so "fat" and "gross." And yes, I've heard that said by a man before! I was insulted for her.
I do think I prefer men to be bigger than me because of that strength and dominance thing you spoke of but muscles doesn't make a guy a man and if a guy isn't careful, muscles can turn him into a superficial jerk.
At the same time I do think it's good to go to the gym to boost confidence for your own self, not for the sake of anyone else, and it is also good for the health. No one wants a guy with self esteem so low that they have to treat a pretty girl like damaged goods to make themselves feel better either. Just saying Been there, done that, got out lol.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Because our bodies are primitive tools. Compared to the work of art that the female form is, we just don't compare.
Eh, I've seen many women who are far from 'works of art.' The male and female forms are beautiful in their own ways. There's no female body that can compare to Michelangelo's 'David', and no male body that can compare to the Venus de Milo.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,269 posts, read 12,474,250 times
Reputation: 13422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Eh, I've seen many women who are far from 'works of art.' The male and female forms are beautiful in their own ways. There's no female body that can compare to Michelangelo's 'David', and no male body that can compare to the Venus de Milo.
lol well, that's the truth. I just think when it comes down to healthy people, women just have more graceful lines, and men are all rectangles and "V" shapes. There's nothing wrong with either, women are just more appealing to look at, to me anyways. I don't say that as a guy, but as someone who appreciates lines and figures.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In popular culture, at least, it seems a man has to have a six-pack, abs.etc to be considered have a hot or sexy BODY (not talking personality, others can be sexy because of non-physical traits but women always talk about non-physical traits), yet average male bodies are just 'meh' to women. In contrast, men find all types of body shapes sexy, some men prefer skinny, some curvier.etc. I know some women do prefer skinny guys, or chubby guys, but they are the minority
I think you're observation is wrong on this one. Note I said *think* because I'm not too sure. What you're saying may be factual with many women pretending it's not because they either feel they can't get guys that look like that, are intimidated by them, or they just don't care about looks enough and want a guy for other reasons too (balance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do women really find the male body sexy or is it just the idea that he's strong and protective?
^This is a brilliant question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you think society makes it so the average male body is not appreciated? Truth to told, it's probably happening to women too (where average is seen as 'ugly') but I'm so SICK of hearing people tell me I need to go to the gym before i can get a girl. If I go to the gym again it'll be for my own health and fitness, not solely to get a girl just because she likes muscles.
I think that has been happening to women a lot longer than guys, where average women are sort of 'left out' in favor of 'hot' women. Women in general are known to be less visually oriented.

You need to either isolate the folks who are telling you that you need to go to the gym to get a girl as a minority group that just thinks that way or acknowledge that you could get into shape if that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why the obsession with muscles and strength anyway? Is it all about strength and dominance?
Another interesting question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why are curves naturally so beautiful but the male body seen as ugly/boring?
I think you're wrong on that one too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't like guys that work out religiously.

Six packs? Eh, I could take em or leave em, they don't make a difference to me. Heavily muscled? No thanks. I still watched the movie Magic Mike and giggled and oohed and ahhhd the men, but I wouldn't expect a guy to look like that nor would it make me any more attracted to him relationship wise.
Would it make a difference in a raw sexual wise?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Would it make a difference in a raw sexual wise?
I'm not sure. I don't have sex until a relationship is established, so by that time there are far more things in play than what he looks like.

As for just the visual from a purely sexual viewpoint, I find many different men attractive and have found myself attracted to mostly overweight men, but I've never been drawn to the 'muscly' look on men.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 AM
 
1,601 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Reputation: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do women really find the male body sexy or is it just the idea that he's strong and protective? I guess i'm talking the average woman. Do you think society makes it so the average male body is not appreciated? Truth to told, it's probably happening to women too (where average is seen as 'ugly') but I'm so SICK of hearing people tell me I need to go to the gym before i can get a girl. If I go to the gym again it'll be for my own health and fitness, not solely to get a girl just because she likes muscles. Why the obsession with muscles and strength anyway? Is it all about strength and dominance?
It really depends.

I'm not terribly attracted to sculpted physiques - they look very hard and unappealing, to me. But if I see a male body of medium build, I definitely find that to be sexy. There are aspects of the male body that I find to be sexier than others, and they're pleasant to look at, so I would most definitely not call the male body boring.

To me, the average male body is much more appealing than a well-muscled, fit one.

I haven't ever really thought about the protection and dominant aspect, so that might be a factor on some subconscious level. But, on the whole, I doubt it.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top