Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,355 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am seriously considering getting a tattoo, it will be my first one and a horoscope symbol. I'm a guy and I don't want anything stupid and I want it in the right place. I work in a white color job, so putting it on my forearm, would probably be a no no haha. I was thinking about putting it on my back, or my arm. I reallly don't know at this point what would be best. I want it in a place where it won't look bad if heaven forbid I gain weight...is there anyone that can advise me on what I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,502 times
I worked at a tattoo shop for a few years. I got a Scorpio symbol on my inner ankle. So that's what I'd recommend to you. Of course I have large ones all over me, but that one is about 3/4"-1" and is outlined in black and filled with red.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuraud View Post
I worked at a tattoo shop for a few years. I got a Scorpio symbol on my inner ankle. So that's what I'd recommend to you. Of course I have large ones all over me, but that one is about 3/4"-1" and is outlined in black and filled with red.
Hi thanks sjuraud for your response. I have two questions, doesn't the ankle hurt really bad when you get a tattoo there like the ribs? and isn't that kinda girlish to get it on your ankle as opposed to your back chest, arms(no offense if you are a guy). thanks!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,502 times
No problem. To me the ankle was a breeze as far as pain as well as were my arms and legs. Yes, the ribs and chest will have you thinking what the hell you got yourself into. I don't really see too much of how a tattoo would be considered girly because of the placement. Maybe a tramp stamp or one around the navel. That sort of thing really has more to do with what you get though. I've tattooed plenty of ankles on guys and girls. I'd say who gives an f what other people think as long as you like it.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,456 times
I think you should have it done on your shoulder. Do you mind sharing which sign you are?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
The ankle was very painful with the tattoo that I have that goes around my leg in that area. The skin is very thin, no muscle or fat, right at bone. PAIN.

I would find a good artist and know what you want to get. Placement and how it flows on your body is very important. You can't put anything anywhere and have it look right. Maybe the shoulder or upper arm? How big are you talking?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I think you should have it done on your shoulder. Do you mind sharing which sign you are?
I am a gemini, and that's kind of the problem, i have seen some decent tattoos for my sign and then i have seen some really feminine ones with roses butterflies, two musuclar guys..obviously i don't want that haha.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
I can tell you this much; I have seven tattoos and three are on my back. I forget I have those! I would probably not do that again, or I'd go for a huge back piece next time because it's kind of like, well, what's the point? Since I rarely see them unless I make a point after the shower to go look in the mirror.

I think you should get some sort of temporary tattoos (doesn't matter what, just approximately the same size and color of what you are planning) and place them in various parts of your body that you are considering, to see how you like the various placements.

Also, I am tattooed on my upper arm, my left inner forearm, and my right wrist. I am heading into a professional career and just plan on wearing long sleeves and a watch to cover them. I wouldn't base a tattoo decision on how much it will hurt, honestly, because they hurt and that's a fact. If I were doing a larger piece on a particularly sensitive area I'd just plan to spread it out over more than one session.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
You should get a pic of an outline of a shadow head then another one mirroring it. Or you could get an air symbol. Such as an air swirl.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Lower back of your neck? It would be covered by a button up shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty