U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:39 AM

947 posts, read 1,109,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlebugsMama View Post
Thanks so much!
Just make sure you and the jeweler are understanding each other as to what the piece will look like. Don't know if the jeweler could do say do a drawing or a computer graphic.

You don't want to have a MO earrings situation like on Hardcore Pawn occurring after all. It's where the customers didn't understand what Diamond Cut meant and refused to take the earrings they had paid in advance for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 09:32 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,763,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlebugsMama View Post
I have a tanzanite ring I was given over 10 years ago. I was not told at that time that it was a soft stone & wore it often. I recently took it to have all the settings checked to be sure they were secure, and was told that "one more significant knock" & the stone might break in half. I was devastated, as this is a very special ring I had hoped to pass on. Is there any kind of treatment, resin coating or such, that could be used to strengthen & protect the stone? (I'm guess not, but hoping new technology is out there to help). I appreciate your assistance!
The short answer: no.

Wearing it as a pendant will reduce the chance of it chipping or breaking.

I am curious about the warning "one more significant knock, etc." Is the stone already cracked? If so, it may already be too late.

On the other hand I know people who have worn tanzanite rings for years with no problems. Just don't be careless - treat it like an opal. It can be worn as an occasional ring, not for every day. BTW on Moh's Scale of Hardness, it rates 6.5; rubies and sapphires are 9 and diamond is 10.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,341 times
The Today Show just did a segment on mined diamonds as well as lab created diamonds. DiamondAura is in fact a very precise means of creating that which is normally "mined". Stauer depicts not only in their catalogs, but online as well, that their "DiamondAura" sets are NOT mined diamonds but an exact replica of such. And unless you were to take it to an expert gemologist, no one would know the difference. However, there is one difference in between the two; "lab-created" diamonds that Stauer sells, tend to have more clarity and fire, than those of their more expensive counterparts, "mined" diamonds. So DiamondAura, will shine more bright and be that much more appealing to the human eye, than "mined". Not everyone in today's society can afford those luxe and huge diamonds that sell for thousands of dollars. But if you want something that has more fire and more clarity, without sacrificing your 401K and everything else to your name, DiamondAura is a great substitute! (unless of course, money is of no obstacle for you) "Crafted in a complex process that involves heating rare minerals to temperatures of almost 5000 degrees, DiamondAura delivers unbelievable clarity for a fraction of the price of mined diamonds." - Indicted inside their catalogs, Stauer. But their rings, like the one I ordered are set in sterling silver. (which is what I only buy) -- A real gemologist would not have made such a profound negative remark, such as the person who started this online conversation. Hell, I could sit here and claim to be someone I'm not as well. Stauer is a pretty exceptional company with great products! They also have the real deal on a lot of pieces, if you wish to go take a loan out. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Old 12-23-2014, 03:50 PM

Angry Not the truth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheJ4Truth View Post
The Today Show just did a segment on mined diamonds as well as lab created diamonds. DiamondAura is in fact a very precise means of creating that which is normally "mined". Stauer depicts not only in their catalogs, but online as well, that their "DiamondAura" sets are NOT mined diamonds but an exact replica of such. And unless you were to take it to an expert gemologist, no one would know the difference. However, there is one difference in between the two; "lab-created" diamonds that Stauer sells, tend to have more clarity and fire, than those of their more expensive counterparts, "mined" diamonds. So DiamondAura, will shine more bright and be that much more appealing to the human eye, than "mined". Not everyone in today's society can afford those luxe and huge diamonds that sell for thousands of dollars. But if you want something that has more fire and more clarity, without sacrificing your 401K and everything else to your name, DiamondAura is a great substitute! (unless of course, money is of no obstacle for you) "Crafted in a complex process that involves heating rare minerals to temperatures of almost 5000 degrees, DiamondAura delivers unbelievable clarity for a fraction of the price of mined diamonds." - Indicted inside their catalogs, Stauer. But their rings, like the one I ordered are set in sterling silver. (which is what I only buy) -- A real gemologist would not have made such a profound negative remark, such as the person who started this online conversation. Hell, I could sit here and claim to be someone I'm not as well. Stauer is a pretty exceptional company with great products! They also have the real deal on a lot of pieces, if you wish to go take a loan out. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
MISINFORMATION ALERT !!!!!

JtotheJ4Truth, I do not know where you are getting your information from ... only that you come on City-Data and post a single solitary post that is basically false and deceptive.

Are you an employee or spokesperson for Stauer ???

You say DiamondAura is not a mined diamond, but "an exact replica" of a diamond. NONSENSE. It is, in fact a Cubic Zirconia. Diamond is pure carbon crystalized. CZ is a dioxide of zirconium. They are not the same.

Cubic Zirconia is a good substitute for diamond, just as moissanite (which is a natural stone, btw) is. Both approximate the dispersion and scintillation of a natural diamond - fancy words for the "fire" and "sparkle" a gemstone has ... but they are not exact. If one's budget precludes the purchase of a real diamond, a CZ or moissanite can be satisfactory substitute.

For your information, I am a real gemologist and I am a graduate of the Gemological Institute of America, back in the days when that institution was located on Stewart Avenue in Santa Monica, CA before they moved to their new campus in Carlsbad, CA. (As an alumnus they are always hitting me up for money!) In fact my career as a gemologist was so distinguished that I was employed by one of the world's foremost jewelry houses in their 5th Avenue location in midtown Manhattan, and was promoted to be the "house" gemologist/jewelry shop manager and full time lecturer on the legendary RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) ... for four years 1994 - 1998. For what it's worth, my Dad's lifetime career was in the wholesale pearl and diamond business.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,284 times
Any reviews on the Diamondaura Ziara Ring? I have been eyeing it for sometime now and the price was close to $300 and now $99. I just want to make sure I'm making a good purchase

Old 06-19-2015, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,094 times
Unhappy rings

I bought a ring that was from that company and they charged me over 100.00 for them. I just found out they were were nothing but fakes. Thanks for the notice even if it was late. To late.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 974 times
They claim that even a jeweler can't tell the difference between DiamondAura and real diamonds. I call BS. I can see that they're fake when I open the box. Very over-priced cheap looking junk.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:42 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,382,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

For your information, I am a real gemologist and I am a graduate of the Gemological Institute of America, back in the days when that institution was located on Stewart Avenue in Santa Monica, CA before they moved to their new campus in Carlsbad, CA. (As an alumnus they are always hitting me up for money!) In fact my career as a gemologist was so distinguished that I was employed by one of the world's foremost jewelry houses in their 5th Avenue location in midtown Manhattan, and was promoted to be the "house" gemologist/jewelry shop manager and full time lecturer on the legendary RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) ... for four years 1994 - 1998.
I realize Mr. Park is long gone from this thread, but I believe I met him on QE2 in 1995.

Small world.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I realize Mr. Park is long gone from this thread, but I believe I met him on QE2 in 1995.

Small world.
Oh, I still post regularly on C-D!!!

Old 09-16-2016, 04:39 PM
Status: "I'm late because I don't want to be here." (set 23 hours ago)

986 posts, read 539,796 times
To the original topic I was a bit surprised Smithsonian magazine would sell out for a hyped-up CZ advertisement. I mean, I can see Redbook with an ad like that, but Smithsonian Magazine? Just seems like nothing is sacred anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or