U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 PM

25,575 posts, read 23,811,177 times

Advertisements

I live in farm country here in Wisconsin so fashion, or playing 'dress-up' is not the norm. We're pretty much jeans and baseball caps, for the most part, but there are a few who dress kinda dressy, but its not often we see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 11:30 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,950,478 times
I have noticed that the NY/NJ metro area has a lot more people wearing leather than in other parts of the country. Leather jackets, hats, gloves, boots and even skirts (on the ladies) are more common here than in the Midwest. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:43 AM

1,580 posts, read 4,141,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've always felt the same way when women wear a full face of makeup, have their hair perfectly coiffed and are wearing a sweat suit or yoga pants and running shoes.
that's how alot of American women are...great makeup, teeth and hair all dolled-up-...til you get to the outift.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 AM

1,580 posts, read 4,141,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I have noticed that the NY/NJ metro area has a lot more people wearing leather than in other parts of the country. Leather jackets, hats, gloves, boots and even skirts (on the ladies) are more common here than in the Midwest. Has anyone else noticed this?
i like to wear leather garments but kinda rare in Southern CA...you see more of this in SF or in the Northern states though

Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,615 times
Default Interesting to Observe Children's Fashion As Well

How does the clothing for your kids reflect the balance between your style and your child's style? Have you noticed a difference in the children's clothing from region to region? Clothing for kids is usually a reflection of a parent's style. Just wondering how region also plays into their style.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:09 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,048,150 times
I live in New Jersey horse country. Most people are conservative and wear classic, preppy clothing--think of the LL Bean or Ralph Lauren look. Lots of wool pants, khakis, corduroys, wool or cotton sweaters, blazers, ballet flats, loafers, docksiders, Bean boots, riding boots, down jackets. In the summer, lots of simple shorts, jeans and cotton shirts.

Sports are big here, especially on the weekends, so you'll often see people dressed in golfing, riding, tennis, hiking, or ski gear.

It is not a creative look, but it's neat. Hairstyles are simple. Most women have chin-to-shoulder length hair which is not really cut in any particular style. The women are usually made up.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 PM

217 posts, read 254,904 times
I live in the heart of Hollywood Hills so people really dress up, even when you go to the gym/supermarket/starbucks/etc. High and expensive brands, of course not everyone, but most people dress up just to go out walk their dogs.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,342,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenion View Post
I live in michigan and it's pretty sloppy here. Common day when going to campus you'll see most people in just jeans, sweatshirt& boots or similar to that. I like to dress up sometimes; Just all formal. About once a week; To see what I can drag in
Other then that you'll see the common people just wearing holster shirts, A T-shirt under it with some slacks sometimes. I'll admit I do it once or twice. Just plain (Usually Dark blue) long sleeve with a White-t under.
I too am in Michigan....the dress code in our area......camo.....trimmed with a little orang.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...FdOHMgodGVsAFQ

Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 PM

818 posts, read 1,893,394 times
Here in central NH, it's lots of LL Bean, Eddie Bauer and whichever Coach bag is big enough to hold your makeup and your side arm (I can fit the Redhawk in mine).

Actually, most people past their teens seem to dress decent here, kind of conservative, I'd say. There's a good mix of LL Bean/J Crew/Talbots and all the other stores that are around this area. And we have the Coach outlet not far away, so Coach bags are around, but not overly common. People here aren't showy for the most part, but not slobs either. Haven't noticed any Prada or Louis Vuitton bags at all and not many women in yoga pants or sneakers. It might be different farther downstate, I haven't spent any time there.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 AM

41,258 posts, read 32,939,551 times
I live in northeast Texas. Generally the style here is casual. Lots of layering for women, and from March till the end of October, sandals and cute toes are a fashion prerequisite. Also, hey, we're in Texas so we like our bling - statement necklaces or several strands of delicate, coordinating necklaces. And don't forget the bracelets! I don't recall the last time I saw a woman in a business suit - women wear cute separates a lot in the workplace.

Men dress very casually here, even in professional work environments. You will see very few suits or blazers. One Texas stereotype is very true - men often will wear boots and jeans with a nice shirt and nice belt, even in professional environments (the jeans must be starched and pressed!).

Casual dress is VERY casual, due to the weather (very mild winters and hot hot hot summers). We take every opportunity to wear cute boots and scarves (women) because it's not cold very often.

Around here, cowboy boots and jeans, for men and women, are always appropriate attire for just about any occasion - church, company picnic, shopping, funeral, you name it!

As far as makeup and hair goes, we really don't have a lot of big hair, unlike the stereotypes of Texas. I'd say we're just average about the hair thing, though I will add that I think more Texas women opt for long hair vs short hair or bobs. As for makeup - in general, Texas women WILL NOT walk out of the house without putting on mascara and lipstick or lip gloss!

And our Texas men are grateful for our attention to the small details!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty