U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:19 AM

8 posts, read 11,159 times

Advertisements

I am from Delhi, India and here you can see so many variation of dresses that people wear here. As both traditional and western clothes are worn here. But still now-a-days Kurtis and leggings, colored pants or trousers with a trendy top or shirt are the daily fashion wear here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,576,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I guess it depends. I'm as southern as any other poster here, but I don't know anyone who would wear jeans to the symphony.
So what are you saying it myth that people in south dress more casual? And in reality it is the other way around?

Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 PM

6,108 posts, read 6,199,648 times
Quote:
I mean, why jeans at the symphony, though? They probably wear jeans every day, but can't change for one such event? Why are people so anti-dress up?
People here are just more casual. The people I have personally seen in jeans at the symphony were wearing very nice, pressed jeans, usually western style. It's not like they just roll in from a day of working cattle. Like I said, it's ranching country. A lot of people do dress up, but nobody really seems to care either way.

Last edited by TheBeagleLady; 05-03-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 01:05 PM

6,108 posts, read 6,199,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I don't know if I read it and misinterpret it wrong but I thought it was other way around ? Many people here saying that people in south dress more casual than the North ?With the exception of Boston ,Baltimore and Philadelphia dress more casual than North?
I think you're misinterpreting, or I'm just doing a poor job of explaining. The southerners (women) I personally know here are horrified that people are more casual in their clothing choices. They are the only people I've heard criticizing and complaining about what other people choose to wear. Most people just don't care. I used the example of the symphony because that's one nicer event I have attended here, and I saw people dressed up super formal, people in jeans (though like I said in my previous post, I haven't seen anyone in dirty or sloppy jeans...they are still clean, presentable and nice looking) and people in between.

Personally, if I'm going to a nicer event I prefer to wear a nicer outfit. However, I couldn't care less what other people wear.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:05 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,320,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
So what are you saying it myth that people in south dress more casual? And in reality it is the other way around?
It varies, but, for the most part, I'd say most southerners are dressy when the situation calls for it. We balance things out. Men still wear suits and ties for certain gatherings, and women still step out in heels, dresses, and makeup.

As for busting any myth, I have never heard that southerners are supposed to be more casual than most of the nation. I'm pretty sure the Midwest and West Coast have us beat.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
As for busting any myth, I have never heard that southerners are supposed to be more casual than most of the nation. I'm pretty sure the Midwest and West Coast have us beat.

I read it on one of those threads on the most and least preppy city or place in the US.

I may have misinterpret it.May be the east coast and north west part of the US in Washington and Oregon over take south has most dress down casual.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:17 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,574,741 times
Have to disagree with the description of what Seattle's wear (in the OP). Was this person on the college campuses only? Many folks in Seattle and surrounding areas dress very fashionably! Nordstrom is big there, too.

The closest "city" to us is Gallup, NM. The younger women usually wears jeans, tees, and tanks 3 sizes too small. Middle aged wear jeans and tops that are either too tight or right size but wrong style. Stacey London and Clinton Kelly would go nuts there. The local men all wear jeans, western or tee shirts, cowboy hats. Only the very old Navajo ladies wear skirts--long, broomstick style with long sleeve tunic blouse and decked out with thousands of dollars worth of gorgeous turquoise necklaces and bracelets.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Have to disagree with the description of what Seattle's wear (in the OP). Was this person on the college campuses only? Many folks in Seattle and surrounding areas dress very fashionably! Nordstrom is big there, too.

The closest "city" to us is Gallup, NM. The younger women usually wears jeans, tees, and tanks 3 sizes too small. Middle aged wear jeans and tops that are either too tight or right size but wrong style. Stacey London and Clinton Kelly would go nuts there. The local men all wear jeans, western or tee shirts, cowboy hats. Only the very old Navajo ladies wear skirts--long, broomstick style with long sleeve tunic blouse and decked out with thousands of dollars worth of gorgeous turquoise necklaces and bracelets.
Townandcountrygal I think you bit right Seattle more hipster now some people preppy grunge or hipster grunge in the city and core . Only to you go suburbs it bit more grunge and casual.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,379,685 times
Here in the small town I live in its really casual, I see a lot of t-shirts and jeans or sweatpants.

The youth have like 4 different types, skater, gangster or churchy, mostly churchy. By churchy I mean polos, gelled hair, shirts tucked in etc, think duggar children.

I get stared everywhere I go. Usually I'm in a tank top and shorts or tank top and leggings.
I don't dress like anyone else really. My style is very very mid-west, trendy, edgy, etc.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:05 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
What you call "churchy" I think of as preppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty