U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 10:55 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,111,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I don't want to start thread on this because we have so many threads on this !!! But I have notice Mexicans and Cubans they seem to dress up more than Americans at least that what seems like in Los Angeles and Miami.

Most girls its tight jeans ,tight girly top

Guys its tight jeans ,ten pants , polo shirt ,stripe shirt , collar shirt ,

You almost never see Mexicans or Cubans in plain house /sleeping t-shirt , light blue jeans , Jersey shirt ,sweatpants ,trackpants , sweatsuit ,tracksuit so on.

I don't know if that just culture difference or its the city of Los Angeles and Miami that like that.
In the music video for "Gangsta" by Kat Dahlia, which I assume was filmed in Miami and features Cubans, there are many old people dressed in that sloppy way.

In Los Angeles, Mexican women 25 and older often dress in tee shirts and other I-give-up clothing, except maybe when they're clubbing (I'm not doing that).
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 PM

748 posts, read 1,356,127 times
I live at the beach so for summer there is the usual
Bathing suits
Beach dresses
Flip flops
Bright colors
Khaki shorts with white shirts
Lots of tommy Bahama
State and city pride shirts with the name of the town and state on them

Stuff like that.....

Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 AM

2,385 posts, read 5,567,316 times
In the Philippines, it's mostly just jeans and t- shirts for women. My hubby said he hasn't seen a country with women wearing jeans as much as the Philippines. I can even spot a Filipino woman right away even abroad even just looking at her back because of jeans and t - shirt.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:27 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,437,081 times
In Denver -
Grocery store/picking up kids from school - Jeans
Lunch/coffee with friends - Jeans
Work - Jeans
Dinner/symphony - Jeans
Sunday - Jeans with Bronco shirt

Old 09-24-2013, 03:29 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,576,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
In the music video for "Gangsta" by Kat Dahlia, which I assume was filmed in Miami and features Cubans, there are many old people dressed in that sloppy way.

In Los Angeles, Mexican women 25 and older often dress in tee shirts and other I-give-up clothing, except maybe when they're clubbing (I'm not doing that).

Thing is when people think of guys dress like this they think of Los Angeles or Miami.

This is media myth .This baggy look is on the east coast not the west cost like in Los Angeles same for Miami. This look is what you find in New Orleans , Atlanta , Jacksonville and Philadelphia. Not Phoenix ,Los Angeles or Miami.

People in Phoenix ,Los Angeles or Miami DO NOT DRESS LIKE THIS.

Well there are Gangstas in Phoenix ,Los Angeles and Miami but they dress more like this.

Big on white or black tank tops ,plaid shirts , black jeans ,black pants , dark jeans , ten shorts ,ten pants or dark shorts , Big on tattoos .

I think weather and culture is may be the big reason.In places like South America and Central America it just too hot for wearing clothing .So they are big on tattoos and tank tops and plaid shirts.So when they move to US they take there culture .So the gangs and wannabe thugs took this look.

The baggy look came out of hip hop where you dance more and baggy clothing more appropriate for dancing than tight clothing and was the of set of street hustler.

The rap was never into baggy look like Ice cube or O.G. Original Gangster.

Also I believe weather is other factor in places like Arizona ,Nevada ,Texas and Florida it is 90F to 100 F weather that way too hot . Just look at the two pictures above you can tell they in much cooler Climate.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:03 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,111,724 times
I was talking only about old Cuban-looking people in Miami. Maybe they dress that way because they get cold easily and have trouble using buttons and zippers.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 AM

84 posts, read 86,506 times
Hey dear.. I belong to India. Here we are not influenced completely by western culture. Here girls mostly wear simple jeans tops and traditional wear like suit and sarees. I love to wear both traditional as well as western outfits. I always prefer online fashion shopping In that way my precious time is saved and I get the best fashionable clothes at reasonable price ranges.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:21 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,519,757 times
Coming from NYC, I could go on and on talking about men's fashion (Forget about women's fashion, which changes every hour ):

We basically have very variant weather. I get to wear an enormous assortment of clothes every year. But my basics are:

1. Summer Time: Sandals, T-Shirts/polos/Muscle tees, shorts, and sunglasses
  2. Early fall/Late spring: Jeans, T-Shirts/polos/Short sleeve shirts, sneakers/sandals, belt, sunglasses
  3. Mid Fall/Spring: Long sleeve shirts/Polos/T-shirts, Jeans, sneakers, belt, Mabye sunglasses
  4. Late Fall/Early Spring/Most of winter: Hoodies, Long sleeve shirts/Polos/T-shirts, Jeans, sneakers, belt
  5. January: Winter Jackets, Gloves, Snow Shoes, Long socks, Long underwear, Jeans, Long sleeves, T shirts as undershirts, Hats, belt
I love the fact you can sun bathe wearing muscle tees in July and curl up inside a warm coffee shop with a peppermint latte wearing a woolen sweater during the holidays .

Since the weather changes so rapidly here, I use this application to figure out whether I need warm clothing later on:

https://www.swackett.com/app/html/iw...page=setup.php

Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 AM

11,672 posts, read 13,870,759 times
Austin, Texas.

We have a lot of dirty hipsters wearing skinny jeans, tank tops, and bare feet.

We're also a college town so you see a lot of jeans/shorts and tshirts with flip flops or sandals.

Outside of professional settings, I rarely see people dressed up unless there's an event.

And, on the off chance that we actually get a winter, you'll see a lot of short shorts coupled with parkas.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM

19,237 posts, read 11,133,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I was talking only about old Cuban-looking people in Miami. Maybe they dress that way because they get cold easily and have trouble using buttons and zippers.
A movie ? my gma is 93 Cuban and we had to pry her high heels away at 75-- she still dreses up even around the house. It cultural.. we like to look nice 24-7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty