U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM

262 posts, read 400,286 times

Advertisements

We have people who either dress very nice and "swag" or very are very much on trend. Then we have people who don't care what they wear as long as it's clean and it fits.

I have my own style. With of course, inspirations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 11:37 AM

19,237 posts, read 11,141,888 times
From S-FL to Tampa the dress went completely down hill, I was in shock. no nails, no haircut, no makeup, no jewerly, no nice clothes - pjs pants- reg jeans, torn jeans and Tshirts galore and shorty shorts like they all going to the gym. and worse NO shoes!!!

Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,813,014 times
here in the woods it's camo or walmartian style, pajama pants, ick. The tween girls are pulled together unless they're obese. Once they preg up it's all over.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:33 PM

324 posts, read 492,878 times
Denver Colorado Lululemon yep, thats about it. Laziest women in the US.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:51 PM

[quote=Be Free;28323672]Here in central NH, it's lots of LL Bean, Eddie Bauer and whichever Coach bag is big enough to hold your makeup and your side arm (I can fit the Redhawk in mine).

quote]</p>
now THAT made me smile!

Old 10-29-2013, 03:13 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
here in the woods it's camo or walmartian style, pajama pants, ick. The tween girls are pulled together unless they're obese. Once they preg up it's all over.
Wait What Upstate NY is not a whole lot different from NYC, except for thicker winter coats, thermals, and better snow boots. Maybe I am wrong, but most women were dressed in shorts (or) miniskirts with T-shirts (or) tank tops and sandals when I went over to lake George 2 summers ago. Same held true when I visited Cornell last year. Buffalo has more of a Jeans culture during the summer which is noticeably different from NYC. This is probably stemming out from its history as an industrial hub during the late 19th till mid 20th Century (NEW YORK CENTRAL RAILROAD ERA AMONG US RAIL FANS ). It also gets pretty chilly up there at night, so its recommended that you wear jeans.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:19 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
You have to be kidding if you don't think people dress differently in rural upstate NY than they do in NYC.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You have to be kidding if you don't think people dress differently in rural upstate NY than they do in NYC.
Well, I know that they don't follow fashion trends as closely. But a poster earlier described as if it was some weird &quot;werewolf land&quot;, which is far from the truth. T shirts and shorts are a staple across most of America during the summer, and Winter jackets are used in most northern states to combat the harsh winter. You could add in more traditional clothing into the mix if we are talking about rural areas like plaid shirts for men and full length skirts for women. But in upstate cities, its not a whole lot different from what we wear in the suburbs of NYC. I have been there several times, and am just narrating my experiences. Since the posters location says Upstate NY, how am I supposed to know if she lives in Potsdam or Syracuse.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 PM

Adi, have you been to Warrensburg? Fort Edward? Lake George is waaaay more civilised, and in the summer it's full of downstate tourists. You will see locals before Memorial Day and after Columbus Day, in the country towns it's scary. We are near Lake Luzerne.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Adi, have you been to Warrensburg? Fort Edward? Lake George is waaaay more civilised, and in the summer it's full of downstate tourists. You will see locals before Memorial Day and after Columbus Day, in the country towns it's scary. We are near Lake Luzerne.
Unfortunately, no. The one feature I did not like about lake George in July was the excessive concentration of tourists. Way too crowded for me and my family. We did make a trip to Glenn Falls and thought the town was quaint and beautiful. A nice escape from the crowd into real upstate NY. Fort Edward, just minutes from Glenn Falls would not be a whole lot different. I really wanted to visit Ticonderoga as well, but my parents (in their early 50's) were too tired and wanted to go home. They once again made a trip up to the same area this year (without me, I was doing my intern in India) and visited Ticonderoga, Lake Champlain, and took the barge across to Burlington and St Albans. What you think as scary is actually my source of enjoyment . On occasions, I get sick of endless traffic congestion and stressful work. Sometimes, I love a quite relaxing vacation, and upstate NY offers that option. Be Proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty