U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM

571 posts, read 946,613 times

Advertisements

It'd be interesting to know how people dress in different cities. Let's not make this about slamming anyone, but more about noticing trends. Having lived in different regions of the U.S., there's been something to take from each city.

!) Washington D.C. - ultra conservative, but very sharp business dressing. Loved the dark colors and ability to accessorize with touches of color.
2) New York City - absolutely love the originality, mixing of fabrics and textures. I love all the looks - the funky, the sharp upper east side. After I left there, I definitely had to rid myself of too many black clothes.
3) Miami - it's all about tight, colorful clothes. Love the tropical vibe. (But some of these looks don't translate well in other cities. What is fine in Miami can really be regarded as trampy elsewhere )
4) Seattle - the grunge / plaid look is strong, but I did learn how to make the outdoorsy mountain look fashionable.
5) San Francisco - this is probably my favorite city for fashion. But let's face it, the weather is PERFECT for having on enough while not being too bundled up. Great, great, sharp style all over the streets!
6) Phoenix/Scottsdale - love the flowy, sexy clothes that make the heat more bearable. Here, I've learned how to make hiking / gym clothes more fashionable (a little bling here and there, with an awesome fit goes a long way)

What stands out in fashion where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM

634 posts, read 783,871 times
West San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles.

What I notice while in Woodland Hill Starbucks or Calabasas Commons entertainment/shopping complex:

LOTS of Lululemon Athletica tights/yoga pants and matching shirts/jackets.
Kardashian like hair.
Women getting all dolled up just to go to the mall. I love this.

Did I say LOTS and LOTS of Lululemon Athletica?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Boston here.
For women:
Coach bags
North Face jacket
skinny jeans and knee high leather boots or Sorels.

For men:
Slacks with nice shoes
Peacoats
scarves
super sexy

Back in CA near the coast
Overly expensive namebrand stuff to make you look 'special'
Overly made up
On the flip side,college students who don't give a crap what they wear, so lots of ugg boots and sweat pants.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,043,938 times
I'm in Southeastern PA & NJ, in the Philadephia area. Seems that what I mostly see every day is athletic clothing:
--sweats, baggy or tight
--big sweatshirts/hoodies
--fleece pullovers
--yoga clothes
--tacky sweatpants with a word across the rear-end
--ostentatious sneakers
--trademarked jerseys, tshirts, baseball caps, or sweatshirts of Philly sports teams

I seems that many people even consider this proper work attire (I'm the oddball who does not).

Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
It'd be interesting to know how people dress in different cities. Let's not make this about slamming anyone, but more about noticing trends. Having lived in different regions of the U.S., there's been something to take from each city.

5) San Francisco - this is probably my favorite city for fashion. But let's face it, the weather is PERFECT for having on enough while not being too bundled up. Great, great, sharp style all over the streets!
Hahahahahahahaha! Stylish people in SF aren't all that common. Well these sharp dressed people you speak of.

It varies a lot by neighborhood in the city as well. (And let's not mention the other cities in the region).

If you are out by Union Square, there are more conservative stylish people. Many are tourists. Other people work in the financial district, and are wearing their suits.
Head over to SOMA? We've got tech worker chic: jeans, sneakers, fleeces or hoodies. Some people look a bit more put together than others. And are generally more stylish than their Silicon Valley counterparts.
In the mission? Hipster central.
Marina? Yoga pants!
Noe Valley? Moms in yoga pants!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 PM

571 posts, read 946,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm in Southeastern PA & NJ, in the Philadephia area. Seems that what I mostly see every day is athletic clothing:
--sweats, baggy or tight
--big sweatshirts/hoodies
--fleece pullovers
--yoga clothes
--tacky sweatpants with a word across the rear-end
--ostentatious sneakers
--trademarked jerseys, tshirts, baseball caps, or sweatshirts of Philly sports teams

I seems that many people even consider this proper work attire (I'm the oddball who does not).
Yeah, I've seen a lot more athletic wear allll over. I blame Victoria Secret's PINK line (and Juicy) for making this ultra casual sweat thing "cool".

Old 01-31-2013, 04:24 PM

4,868 posts, read 7,127,447 times
I'm originally from NYC area (staten island) and even though I was a small child, I still vividly remember that people dressed really well. I wore dresses every day and always did my hair.

when we moved out to AZ, people looked at me crazy when I wore dresses/skirts. I live in southern AZ so its more jeans/t shirts..sometimes you'll see lots of cowboy hats and plaid button ups with huge belt buckles. Now its lots of sundresses with boots/skirts and jeans everywhere. men wear jeans/sneakers or boots of some kind and t shirts. People do dress up here though when they go out. Its like a big event.

when I lived in LA I saw lots of athletic wear too and tons of make up and hair all done up. I don't see athletic wear as an invitation to wear lots of makeup..but that's me. I also went to the fashion school there (FIDM) and so I saw a lot more variety in style. It was super cool.

I've been to Texas-San Antonio and Corpus Christi and I would say people just wear jeans and t shirts there. Nothing special. But that's from my short time there that I observed that type of style.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,258,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Yeah, I've seen a lot more athletic wear allll over. I blame Victoria Secret's PINK line (and Juicy) for making this ultra casual sweat thing "cool".
For the longest time, since I don't shop at VS and am rarely in a mall, I had no idea what was up with all these t-shirts and sweats that said "Love Pink" and so forth. It's kind of ridiculous, really, it's everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I'm originally from NYC area (staten island) and even though I was a small child, I still vividly remember that people dressed really well. I wore dresses every day and always did my hair.

when we moved out to AZ, people looked at me crazy when I wore dresses/skirts. I live in southern AZ so its more jeans/t shirts..sometimes you'll see lots of cowboy hats and plaid button ups with huge belt buckles. Now its lots of sundresses with boots/skirts and jeans everywhere. men wear jeans/sneakers or boots of some kind and t shirts. People do dress up here though when they go out. Its like a big event.

when I lived in LA I saw lots of athletic wear too and tons of make up and hair all done up. I don't see athletic wear as an invitation to wear lots of makeup..but that's me. I also went to the fashion school there (FIDM) and so I saw a lot more variety in style. It was super cool.

I've been to Texas-San Antonio and Corpus Christi and I would say people just wear jeans and t shirts there. Nothing special. But that's from my short time there that I observed that type of style.
I live in San Antonio and grew up near Corpus Christi. I hesitated to post on this thread because it is hard to say something nice... but yeah. Most of the time I see jeans, t-shirts, Spurs team stuff, and pajama pants. Lately lots of skinny sagging jeans. And lots of muffin tops, too-tight pants and shirts that don't' fit at all.

I don't go clubbing anymore but when I did, "dressing up" was jeans and a too-tight tube top or spaghetti strap top, the same as everyone else in the club. When I drive by the clubs on a Saturday night (several near where I live) it seems that the dress "code" hasn't changed much.

To be even more snarky, when I am around local business areas during lunchtime and see women dressed for work, a lot of times they are dressed up in a work-appropriate way, but in something I might have worn in an office in 1995, ill fitting, dated, and frumpy. Like a uniform someone handed them, as if they have no choice in the matter. I don't get it.

I am a full time student so I see lots of sweats and hoodies and skinny jeans there too. I like to dress up, or at least dress with "purpose" and I think about what I am going to wear... I generally get compliments on what I wear but I'm very aware that I look different from the crowd since I don't wear sweats and hoodies except at home, or when I am feeling absolutely crappy but still dragging myself to class. I wear dresses and skirts a lot, which seems to be more and more uncommon.

Ok now I feel like one of the high school "mean girls" but it's just what I have observed.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times
All I know is I miss Paris.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:35 AM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times
oh let us see pajamas and sweats seem to be the order of fashion here where I live and thanks to God Im moving away in two months ... somewhere people can wear shorts and nice tees and nice shorts I mean . My legs are ugly they have alot of varicos veins and so I wear peddal pushers instead .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty