U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,724,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Summers in Texas demand flip flops!.
How about cute sandals? So much nicer. I mean flip flops don't work unless you're at the beach... I hate it when, for instance, I go to the spa or hair salon and some employees wear flip flops... Looks way too casual and not work appropriate.
Sorry, that's the way I see it! (I live in a hot and humid climate by the way...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM

4,230 posts, read 5,908,417 times
1.) Flats in a corporate work environment.

2.) Pairing a nice outfit with a horrendous jacket.

3.) Unkempt fingernails

Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,459,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
How about cute sandals? So much nicer. I mean flip flops don't work unless you're at the beach... I hate it when, for instance, I go to the spa or hair salon and some employees wear flip flops... Looks way too casual and not work appropriate.
Sorry, that's the way I see it! (I live in a hot and humid climate by the way...)
Aren't sandals just flip flops with an extra strap? Or is it specifically the flip-flopping you dislike?

As for me, I don't understand the appeal of those heels and other fashion shoes adorned with silver spikes. It was like all the department stores got Hot Topic's inventory by accident and decided to just go with it.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 AM

748 posts, read 1,361,083 times
I use Vera Bradley bags and got into them when they was popular around where I live. Now the trend has kind of died out here and I think the only reason I like them anymore is that I can wash them. I can wear them and throw whatever I want in them and not ruin it. I've had everything from wet seashells, to shampoo bottles, to food in mine. I'd never do that with my more expensive designer bags for fear of ruining them. I'd never carry a non designer bag and Vera Bradley is about as low as i go. That is simply because I can throw it all in the wash and it comes out looking new again, and that is what keeps me buying Vera over and over again. I think I bought my first in either 06 or 07 and they are still going strong. In fact i'm packing the first one I ever bought this week with my shampoo, soap, and other items for a trip.

To be honest there isn't a lot of cute or nicer clothing options for larger women. Unless you want to look like a old woman you try and find cuter styles that fit to some extent. Given that I think bigger ladies want to feel stylish and trendy so they try and fit into the more stylish option, even if at times it is way too tight. However it don't bother me, it's them wearing it not me. If they are happy, let them be, totally none of my business.

Love my Ugg boots, I just bought a pair of them this past Nov I believe it was. I had bought the knockoffs for years and finally decided to pay the money for real Uggs. I adore mine but rarely ever wear them unless I know for sure it will be sunny, don't want water spots. Everyone has them because it's a trend, same reason I have them. At first I thought they was ugly, then I tried them...it's all I've wore in winter for like the last three years. Now I can't imagine wearing anything else during winter time. So warm, and comfy and they never put blisters on my feet. I even go walking in them during the winter....no problems.

I love, love, love me some designer logo bags. It's all I've ever bought and it's become so much of a thing with me that I simply can not stand plain leather bags. I bought one plain leather bag from Coach...only carried it once and it's sit in my closet for three years. I just find plain leather so blah and boring. There is nothing more classic then the LV mono print, especially in the Speedy. It's just one of those things I got into when I first started designer bags, that was the "in" thing at the time was monogram prints so it's what I bought and got comfortable with buying. I doubt I'll ever change when it comes to that, just what I like. Apparently the logo bags are more popular then the leather bags for any designer. When I'm out that is all I see is logo, it's a rare thing to see a all leather bag that is actually a designer purse, I don't think people much care for the all leather bags.

When it comes to fakes I don't see those any more where I live. It was a trend for a little while around here to have the fake bags, esp. the Chanel Cambon knockoff totes. Just like most trends it died out as well.

Also the LOVE Pink brand is a VS brand aimed at Teens or Tweens. However from what I can tell the adults seem to get into it as well. I have not bought anything from the PINK line but have eyed a few pieces in the past. Nothing to really "get" about it, it's just an extension of the VS brand.

Also love me some flip flops, at one time I wore them year round and it's the only shoe I wore. Granted no job came into play and I learned the hard way you can't wear them in the snow. Which is like one of those duh moments, however I was hard headed and never wanted to wear anything but flip flops. I have a whole collection of flip flops now and only wear them in the summer. I don't live in a beach environment but will be soon enough.

Truthfully I think a lot of the is seriously just knit picking about things. Most the the things being hated on are things that 99% of the population likes. Obviously it's what is trendy and well liked for whatever reason. Every one to their own notion, but I don't see the big deal about anything listed on this forum.

Last edited by CarolinaDreams; 02-05-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,302,219 times
Quote:
All of the Victoria's Secret "Love Pink" and "Pink" stuff. Honestly when I first saw these shirts and jackets and sweats I was totally confused (since I don't shop at VS) and thought it was referring to the singer. Then I thought maybe it was some sexual euphemism? I guess it's not but I still don't get it.

All the Pink stuff does is make me miss the beautiful lingerie that VS used to sell 20 some years ago.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Summers in Texas demand flip flops!
Girls under the age of 8 in the color BLACK. WHY????
Charm Bracelets on women. can't stand the "jingling" everywhere they turn!!!!!
Permanent makeup. WHY????????
Women who wear foundation and their face color does not match their neck.
I love my charm bracelets. I have two pandoras, a sterling one given to me by my great-grandmoter when I was a young girl. And a few others.
My mother has a charm bracelt started by my father on their first aniversary with all heart charms. I don't think she wears in anymore but it's a beatuful peice and I'd love to have it someday.

I have one my husband started with charms during my pregnancy (he gave me charms when we found out I was pregnant, a "girl" one when we found out what we were having, one when she was born, one on my first Mother's Day, etc.... I plan on giving to my daughter someday.

I've asked for a Jay Strongwater bracelet for Valentines Day (had friend drop hints to the hubby)

Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
1.) Flats in a corporate work environment.

2.) Pairing a nice outfit with a horrendous jacket.

3.) Unkempt fingernails

THIS - it's one of the first things people notice and makes a huge impression. It's also one of the cheapest and easiest grooming routines. A couple bucks for a nail clipper, a cuticle stick, nail file and a decent buffing stick and you're set. Throw in a bottle of clear nail polish and you're done.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 AM

5,467 posts, read 4,603,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
1) I never have understood why people will pay those outrageous prices for QUILTED bags. Not LEATHER. Quilted fabric!

36.00! for a cell phone/ID tote mini wallet - are you serious? More than 100 for a weekend tote bag?

2) Fat -- no, OBESE -- women who were clothes where you can see every roll. I'm all for accepting one's body type -- but geez, people, do you honestly not see how you look? You think that looks good or flattering? Boob popping out, buttons popping off, fabric stretched to its limit (I fell for the poor fabric).
A girlfriend of mine used to sum it up in this rather crude way: It looks like 10 pounds of s*** in a 5 pound bag.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,515,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
1) I never have understood why people will pay those outrageous prices for QUILTED bags. Not LEATHER. Quilted fabric!

May of the higher priced bags aren't 100% leather. They might just have leather trim and straps, and are priced much higher than Vera Bradley.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 AM

9,213 posts, read 18,119,052 times
Ugh! I hate those Vera Bradley bags! I didn't even know until recently that they had a name. I just noticed like 5 years ago people carrying these hideous flowered quilted bags that looks like some Girl Scout or home-ec craft project. I had no clue they were some designer high fashion item. I don't need super-expensive bags, but I have very nice leather and even cloth bags that are much more useful and much less painful to the eyes. I understand buying a bag that's inexpensive and looks expensive, but not buying a bag that's releatively expensive and looks totally cheapo.

I also never knew about the costume jewelry charm bracelet phenomenon until recently either. I would just see these gaudy bracelets on people and think, "wow, that looks old-ladyish." My mom (in her 60s) and all her girlfriends started wearing them, a combination of the Pandora ones, which I guess are actual precious metals, and the Brighton ones, with are more costume jewelry and a little cheaper. But I even see young women wearing them. All those colored stones and mixed metals just look tacky to me. Someone gave me a Brighton charm for Christmas 2 years ago, and I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. It's still in the box in a drawer.

Something else I've noticed on TV in the past year: women wearing a belt over a shirt or sweater, but the belt is worn high, like above the actual waist and under the boobs. I think most bodies look better with the beltline just below the actual waist, not super-low like the low-cut jeans that end right above the pubic bone, but not high-waisted, like mom jeans or little-old-man high-waisted pants. But this belt thing just looks weird to me, and not attractive at all. I haven't seen it in person very much, just on TV with supposedly very fashionable people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty