U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,128,726 times

Advertisements

Monogram/logo handbags & accessories. The entire point is to show off. I carry all weather leather Dooney, buttery soft leather Coach with nickel hardware, some of the constructed Via Spiga bags are lovely. Logos splashed everywhere are tacky, and the companies are laughing all the way to the bank that people are paying $200 and up for laminated cotton.

"Urban" clothing. Flat brimmed caps, pants below the butt cheeks, Apple Bottoms anything.

Open toed boots. It is as if someone decided to design the least practical, most hobbling, to be bought only by those absolutely enslaved by fashion shoe EVAR. What is next? Crotchless pants for the office? Cars with 6" holes gashed in the tires? HOUSES WITH NO ROOFS?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,199,890 times
Sorry but when I bought my $2000 LV purse from LV in NYC I was dam proud to let it scream "Look at me!! Look at me!!" I worked hard for that purse. I won't apologize for working and buying the stuff I want. Sorry if you can't afford it.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM

748 posts, read 1,361,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Sorry but when I bought my $2000 LV purse from LV in NYC I was dam proud to let it scream "Look at me!! Look at me!!" I worked hard for that purse. I won't apologize for working and buying the stuff I want. Sorry if you can't afford it.
Right on sister, you tell em! I feel the same way.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,128,726 times
It isn't a matter of being able to afford something (although if you have to scrimp and save for a status piece, that can't feed or clothe you, you can't properly afford it, either.) The logo phenomenon extends down into much lower price points. It is a mindset that you'll spend astronomical sums on an item simply because of the way you believe other people perceive it.

If my income quadrupled, and $5k handbags became easily accessible, I'd buy land. Lots of land. Never, ever a bauble.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,302,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Monogram/logo handbags & accessories. The entire point is to show off. I carry all weather leather Dooney, buttery soft leather Coach with nickel hardware, some of the constructed Via Spiga bags are lovely. Logos splashed everywhere are tacky, and the companies are laughing all the way to the bank that people are paying $200 and up for laminated cotton.

"Urban" clothing. Flat brimmed caps, pants below the butt cheeks, Apple Bottoms anything.

Open toed boots. It is as if someone decided to design the least practical, most hobbling, to be bought only by those absolutely enslaved by fashion shoe EVAR. What is next? Crotchless pants for the office? Cars with 6" holes gashed in the tires? HOUSES WITH NO ROOFS?!
LOL, I got a pair of "Apple Bottoms" jeans at my baby shower for my infant daughter. Straight to the GoodWill box...

Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 AM

6,087 posts, read 6,568,052 times
Quote:
It is a mindset that you'll spend astronomical sums on an item simply because of the way you believe other people perceive it.
Yes, indeed. The issue for ALL of us is: ....is there a deeper more psychological reason we want to buy a material possession we don't need -- just because -- just for its enjoyment. Especially when 'affordability' is a factor.

For example I like Michael Kors designs -- but how much of liking that is the DESIGN -- versus the subconscious messages we get that THESE ARE THINGS WE SHOULD DESIRE. The STATUS part of it. I have no doubt I like Michael Kors because I've been CONDITIONED to like it.

It could be anything, but the question really becomes interesting when it's a higher price point item. And obviously the price point would be different depending on the income of the person in question. If Milania Trump buys Louis Vuitton who cares. But -- when a person who makes 30-thousand a year -- is already in credit card debt or even if not -- or perhaps has no retirement savings started and lives paycheck to paycheck -- buys one -- THAT is where the psychology is interesting.

Also there are some things (as another thread asks) -- that many of us could have Donald Trump money and we STILL wouldn't buy. Because those aren't "OUR thing" -- but perhaps there's something WE'D buy, that another person wouldn't.

How many people would like Louis Vuitton if it was 20.00 instead of 2,000. To me, it's NOT THAT pretty a design as designs go.
A friend LOVES Burberry. Which when you think about it really is just a lot of plaid stuff. Plaid -- not some great design -- PLAID. But people will pay those prices for it. If an Hermes bag costs 60.00 would people want it like crazy?

The only response my friends has is: yeah, but Burberry, or Hermes, or LV items would never be that "cheap." Sure they may not be as inexpensive as some handbags or scarves -- but just because they're not that inexpensive -- doesn't make them WORTH THE HUNDREDS and THOUsands that people WILL pay for them.

Are Michael Kors, Celine, Burberry, Hermes and LV BETTER made, sure maybe -- but worth thousands?

Now ALL THIS is talking about people who buy the real thing.
You talk about a mind game.....what about the people who buy the KNOCK OFF -- because they want a Louis Vuitton. It's not even a REAL LV! and people will still buy it...because they want a Louis Vuitton...uh but it's NOT a LV! Try having THAT discussion with someone who's designer or logo drunk.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,597,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I agree with you on both points.

I sell on eBay, and I learned about Vera Bradley that way, while thrift shopping with a fellow ebay seller who was hunting for Vera Bradley stuff. I remember her showing me a bag and I just asked "Why??" and she wasn't keen on it either but it sold well so she bought it to re-sell.

I also don't see the appeal of the patterns, to me it really looks like something your Grandma made for you with leftover fabric from a quilt project, and seems very "old" looking but not in a good way. Yet all the 18 to 22 year old females I currently attend school with have Vera Bradley backpacks.

On #2; I am a couple sizes bigger than I should be and I also don't get why anyone would wear things that obviously don't fit. It looks bad regardless of if you are heavy or skinny. My 15 year old will occasionally get lazy and try and "borrow" someone else's t-shirts (in the family) when he hasn't planned out his laundry accordingly... and he is a string bean kid, so everyone else's clothes are huge on him and he looks like some poor homeless kid living under a bridge.

Other things I don't get:

Huge brand names on your clothes. I feel like the company should be paying ME to advertise for them if I am going to wear stuff like that.

All of the Victoria's Secret "Love Pink" and "Pink" stuff. Honestly when I first saw these shirts and jackets and sweats I was totally confused (since I don't shop at VS) and thought it was referring to the singer. Then I thought maybe it was some sexual euphemism? I guess it's not but I still don't get it.

Skinny jeans, because they look bad on probably 75% of the people who wear them.

UGG boots. I love boots, and I love boots with fur, and I love comfy/warm boots, but UGGs, to me, look like caveman shoes. Even the name sounds caveman-like. I hate their primitive shapeless-ness. They look, to me, like someone took a basic "boot making class" and that's what they ended up with.

Ok, the one I will probably get the most flack for: big "fancy" designer purses, especially those with the logo splattered on every possible surface. I just feel like it is screaming "Look at me! Look at me! I have a $1000 purse!!" and I don't understand that. Sorry. Just don't. I understand the need for an attractive, quality purse or two (or three? four?) that is well made and will last. I just think that spending on a purse what some people spend on a good used car is kind of, well, I don't know. I just don't get it.

Now I will gladly find and sell any/all of these things to you on ebay, gently used, regardless of my own opinions.
I hate those sweatpants that the girls wear that say PINK on the rear end or Princess. Seriously! To me, it's tacky looking. I also have a hard time with the Vera Bradley handbags and I'm an older woman. They are extremely expensive for quilted handbags! Some of the pattern are pretty, but only on a quilt or pillow.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,597,709 times
I am currently living in a little Balkan country and the women dress up to the 9's even going to the grocery store. High heels and all. Right now it's winter, so they all wear basically the same type of boots..either the leather style up the calf or those funny looking furry big foot type boots. I suppose they do not garden or have yards to take care of, so they are use to dressing up all of the time. I rarely see any of these women in athletic shoes or the LL Bean, Lands End, Eddie Bauer type of style. I will dress up when the need calls for it, but other than that, I am going to be neat, clean AND comfortable when I go shopping or out for a walk or errand.
Also, why is it so important to have a name brand handbag? My secretary almost had a fit one day talking about Coach. For me, I do have to wear name brand perfumes...

Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,289,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
It isn't a matter of being able to afford something (although if you have to scrimp and save for a status piece, that can't feed or clothe you, you can't properly afford it, either.) The logo phenomenon extends down into much lower price points. It is a mindset that you'll spend astronomical sums on an item simply because of the way you believe other people perceive it.

If my income quadrupled, and $5k handbags became easily accessible, I'd buy land. Lots of land. Never, ever a bauble.

Yes, this exactly.

To assume that others don't like the logo stuff because they are "just jealous"? That's a rather juvenile assumption. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I wouldn't shift my opinion one bit. In fact, I am so NOT attracted to the logo-plastered items that you couldn't pay me to carry or wear them.

I just don't see anything at all appealing about them, period, and since this thread is titled "I just don't get it", I am as entitled to that opinion as anyone else is to theirs.

It's not as if we are just discussing paying for quality. I DO get paying more for quality. I have some $300 shoes (I did not pay that price) and they are the only heels I can wear comfortably, and they continue to look "new", the quality is impeccable. They are sublimely comfortable and the leather is supple beyond belief. I get that. I have owned other items in the past that were worth it to me for reasons of quality, something I knew I'd get a LOT of use out of and enjoy wearing.

What I don't get is paying to advertise for free for a company. If I were ever inclined to spend $2000 on a bag, it would be because I personally LOVED the look, the quality was exceptional, the bag was versatile, and classic. The logo-splashed stuff seems, TO ME, to be about status and just status.

I might buy a Chanel suit at some point in my life, for the construction, tailoring, and quality. It's not an "anti-designer" thing. It's more about what I perceive to be blind consumerism to the point that 75% of the people I see have a similar bag (I don't know how many are real vs fake). While my opinions on Uggs, VS Pink, and logo stuff may be a rant against what "99% of people like", I will still say I don't get it, because I think it's better when people create their own unique style that reflects their own personality, vs looking like everyone else.

But maybe people DO find the "alphabet soup" logo wear attractive (shoes, purses, t-shirts). I just don't and that's what I "don't get".

Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,087,512 times
To add what I said earlier. I don;'t care what people wear as long as they are neat, clean and stain free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty