U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times

Advertisements

1) I never have understood why people will pay those outrageous prices for QUILTED bags. Not LEATHER. Quilted fabric!

36.00! for a cell phone/ID tote mini wallet - are you serious? More than 100 for a weekend tote bag?

2) Fat -- no, OBESE -- women who were clothes where you can see every roll. I'm all for accepting one's body type -- but geez, people, do you honestly not see how you look? You think that looks good or flattering? Boob popping out, buttons popping off, fabric stretched to its limit (I fell for the poor fabric).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,078,780 times
HA when I moved to PA burbs from Miami, I started seeing those everywhere. Tacky colors, and tacky designs.
BUt after a while, I start seeing charm in them. But again I am a man.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,258,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
1) I never have understood why people will pay those outrageous prices for QUILTED bags. Not LEATHER. Quilted fabric!

36.00! for a cell phone/ID tote mini wallet - are you serious? More than 100 for a weekend tote bag?

2) Fat -- no, OBESE -- women who were clothes where you can see every roll. I'm all for accepting one's body type -- but geez, people, do you honestly not see how you look? You think that looks good or flattering? Boob popping out, buttons popping off, fabric stretched to its limit (I fell for the poor fabric).

I agree with you on both points.

I sell on eBay, and I learned about Vera Bradley that way, while thrift shopping with a fellow ebay seller who was hunting for Vera Bradley stuff. I remember her showing me a bag and I just asked "Why??" and she wasn't keen on it either but it sold well so she bought it to re-sell.

I also don't see the appeal of the patterns, to me it really looks like something your Grandma made for you with leftover fabric from a quilt project, and seems very "old" looking but not in a good way. Yet all the 18 to 22 year old females I currently attend school with have Vera Bradley backpacks.

On #2; I am a couple sizes bigger than I should be and I also don't get why anyone would wear things that obviously don't fit. It looks bad regardless of if you are heavy or skinny. My 15 year old will occasionally get lazy and try and "borrow" someone else's t-shirts (in the family) when he hasn't planned out his laundry accordingly... and he is a string bean kid, so everyone else's clothes are huge on him and he looks like some poor homeless kid living under a bridge.

Other things I don't get:

Huge brand names on your clothes. I feel like the company should be paying ME to advertise for them if I am going to wear stuff like that.

All of the Victoria's Secret "Love Pink" and "Pink" stuff. Honestly when I first saw these shirts and jackets and sweats I was totally confused (since I don't shop at VS) and thought it was referring to the singer. Then I thought maybe it was some sexual euphemism? I guess it's not but I still don't get it.

Skinny jeans, because they look bad on probably 75% of the people who wear them.

UGG boots. I love boots, and I love boots with fur, and I love comfy/warm boots, but UGGs, to me, look like caveman shoes. Even the name sounds caveman-like. I hate their primitive shapeless-ness. They look, to me, like someone took a basic "boot making class" and that's what they ended up with.

Ok, the one I will probably get the most flack for: big "fancy" designer purses, especially those with the logo splattered on every possible surface. I just feel like it is screaming "Look at me! Look at me! I have a $1000 purse!!" and I don't understand that. Sorry. Just don't. I understand the need for an attractive, quality purse or two (or three? four?) that is well made and will last. I just think that spending on a purse what some people spend on a good used car is kind of, well, I don't know. I just don't get it.

Now I will gladly find and sell any/all of these things to you on ebay, gently used, regardless of my own opinions.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:14 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,430,483 times
It is psychological. When large women wear spandex it makes them "feel" thinner.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
There's a place near me that specializes in Pandora charm bracelets and Vera Bradley accessories. I don't get -either- of these phenomenon. My mom has a charm bracelet, but it's an old-fashioned one, with 18kt gold charms cast into shapes with faceted semi-precious gems imbedded in them and what not. The Pandora charms just look - costumey and trendy, not meaningful at all. Like the difference between a plastic Hallmark angel "collectable" statue and a Waterford crystal statue. The Vera Bradley stuff, is just weird. They look cute as diaper bags, for the "I'm a busy soccer mom with twin 2-year-olds and I bake cookies for my 3rd grader's Cub Scout troop and will breastfeed my kids til they get married" type. But not for women who have identities beyond the "mom" title.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 PM

692 posts, read 788,340 times
Quote:
I just feel like it is screaming "Look at me! Look at me! I have a $1000 purse!!"
What kills me is how many of these look at me 1,000 bags are straight up fake, especially LV and Coach. I remember when Coach boutiques were small, intimate, had an antique library feel and only sold classic looking leather goods. Now they are all blindingly bright and sell mostly gaudy canvas bags with C's plastered all over them.

For me it's Tory Burch tunics. They aren't quite as mainstream as say Uggs or Juicy was because they are more popular with the 30+ crowd, they don't market tothe tween/teen set and can't be found in every mall near you, but young starlets do wear them as cover ups or dresses. I picked one up once. The fabric was flimsy as all get out with some embroidery around the neck and cuffs for $300 for a basic one. I could buy a better made and prettier tunic from one of the African or Indian clothing stores for one tenth the price.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,258,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
It is psychological. When large women wear spandex it makes them "feel" thinner.
Nah, not really. I've been everything from a size 7 to a size 22. Spandex makes you feel very much like you are "letting it all hang out" when you are bigger. A larger woman can go to extremes and wear too-tight / too-revealing stuff, but just as unattractive is too large/tent stuff. When I first got fat (after having my first kid), I had no experience with how to dress at that size. I was used to being relatively slender and dressing in whatever I wanted, which was usually form fitting stuff. At the "new" size, I was totally mortified and I wore these huge dresses that just made me look bigger, but even though everyone close to me was telling me that they were NOT flattering, I was so ashamed and uncomfortable in my own skin that I could not "allow" myself to wear things that fit.

Thankfully I got over that but it was an unattractive year for me, to put it mildly.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,482,726 times
I think when a heavy person looks in the mirror, they have a distorted perspective of how they really look. Photographs are what don't lie. At least this has been my experience. I knew I was overweight but when I looked in the mirror, I thought I looked average until I looked at some family vacation pictures...I was huge (a size 16). I have since lost the weight, gave all my fat clothes away, bought a new wardrobe and never looked back.

I could never bring myself to buy Vera Bradley bags. They are so not me although a friend loves them and they seem to fit her. Give me a good quality leather bag and I will make it last many years...although I do love a nicely constructed straw tote or two for the summer.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:39 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,703,785 times
What I don't understand fashionwise... Flip flops! I mean really? People keep criticising Ugg boots but how about flip flops? Ugly (even the so- called fancy ones), and very bad for the foot/ ankle... Yet some women don't seem to own any other type of shoe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I think when a heavy person looks in the mirror, they have a distorted perspective of how they really look. Photographs are what don't lie. At least this has been my experience. I knew I was overweight but when I looked in the mirror, I thought I looked average until I looked at some family vacation pictures...I was huge (a size 16).
I agree. When I see myself on pictures I can be either really happy or scared, depending on how I look.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,279,188 times
Summers in Texas demand flip flops!
Girls under the age of 8 in the color BLACK. WHY????
Charm Bracelets on women. can't stand the "jingling" everywhere they turn!!!!!
Permanent makeup. WHY????????
Women who wear foundation and their face color does not match their neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty