U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 PM

863 posts, read 1,024,706 times

Advertisements

You can blame it on Anderson Cooper's mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 AM

25,575 posts, read 23,790,905 times
Jeans can be dressy with the right blouse and shoes. Ive seen salesmen that look very good in jeans and a shirt tie.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:15 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,281,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
New dress code at the straight-laced job: "No blue jeans." So people have started wearing colored jeans. Black, brown, red, green, purple, gray. Kinda funny rebellion tactic.
I personally think colored jeans are a bit dressy compared to blue jeans. I've never been much of a jean wearer and only own 2 pair of blue jeans. However colored jeans has made it easier to still feel dressed up but not over dressed, I own 3 pair. I wear my colored jeans with a blazer or satin blouse and it looks very appropriate without looking like you're trying to hard among the blue jean wearers.

I think jeans became popular when they started selling a image. Jeans that make you look thin, taller, etc. so people bought into the hype of a great/expensive pair of jeans will make you more attractive. I know women who have over 50 pair of jeans because they are convinced they make them look sexy/attractive. Jeans will always be viewed as casual wear in my eyes.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,501,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
I see denim is a staple in many peoples wardrobes. No matter the ocassion, out comes the jeans.

I am not into jeans at all. I own 1 pair but it seems many people use them as their "dress clothes".

I'm so used to not wearing denim, they almost feel odd when I do wear them.
When "What Not To Wear" Host Stacy London started promoting that horrible dark wash to cover for fat people who otherwise would have never belonged in jeans! I despise it.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 PM

692 posts, read 790,079 times
Quote:
Jeans will always be viewed as casual wear in my eyes.
Same here. I like jeans.d I wear them and at times are perfectly acceptable, but they aren't dressy whether you paid $20 or $200 for them. If say celebs start showing up at the Oscars in jeans instead of gowns, or the President wears them to a state dinner in lieu of a tux, or my office suddenly includes them in their very rigid business formal dress code (the wrong attire will get you sent home) maybe the tides will turn, but my neice wears them everyday to school. Neat, wrinkled, dark, acid-washed or full of holes they're still jeans, made of the same fabric you'd wear to pull weeds, paint the kitchen, walk the dog, help a friend move and throw on a blazer for casual friday.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:22 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,944,887 times
They are not dress clothes.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM

4,244 posts, read 3,039,245 times
They never did.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 PM

10,175 posts, read 18,160,408 times
Jeans are suitable clothing for boilermakers, pipefitters, ironworkers and farmers. So is brown duck Carhartt type clothing.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 PM
dgz

800 posts, read 2,920,396 times
I wear denim most of the time... out to dinner, to the office, to events. Sometimes there is an activity that requires 'really dressing up' but for the most part, I like the comfort and flexibility of denim. If I spend 9 hours at the office, and then I go to a class afterwards, and then meet up with some friends for drinks after that... denim just wears really well.

I think more people are wearing denim more often because it's so versatile--and fortunately, there are fewer places requiring people to dress up. I know some people love to dress up, but for some of us with very active/eclectic lives, dressing up can be a real hassle.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM

42,290 posts, read 49,879,075 times
You can dress them up with a nice top and fancy shoes, make-up, jewelry, etc.
You can dress them down with a t-shirt and sneakers.

I don't have many fancy things to go to...buying a fancy dress for one occasion would be a waste of time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or