U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 PM

145 posts, read 184,016 times

Advertisements

I see denim is a staple in many peoples wardrobes. No matter the ocassion, out comes the jeans.

I am not into jeans at all. I own 1 pair but it seems many people use them as their "dress clothes".

I'm so used to not wearing denim, they almost feel odd when I do wear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,434,832 times
When they started costing upwards of 200$ a pair.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM

145 posts, read 184,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post

Good point?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM

10,729 posts, read 19,087,821 times
I agree they are a staple and have been since forever, but I don't agree that they are "dress" clothes and I don't see them "no matter what the occasion"

Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 PM

11,438 posts, read 19,468,095 times
I no longer work in an office, and all gatherings or parties I attend are casual affairs. I don't need to spend money on clothes I will never wear. I livein jeans and Land's End Sport Cords.

A lot of us don't dress up anymore. And our casual lives are taking a toll on places where we probably SHOULD dress up, but since people don't dress up anymore, they aren't requiring it.

However. That doesn't mean I don't have style. I don't wear holey stained shirts out of the house (I do around the house to keep my nice shirts nice -- and I have one shirt that I wear when I color my hair -- THAT one is a nightmare!)

Old 02-02-2013, 09:31 PM

8,279 posts, read 10,542,044 times
New dress code at the straight-laced job: "No blue jeans." So people have started wearing colored jeans. Black, brown, red, green, purple, gray. Kinda funny rebellion tactic.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,943,149 times
Perhaps the late 70s and early 80s, with the rise of designer jeans, can be seen to as a turning point to what the OP has questioned about?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM

5,538 posts, read 8,199,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
I see denim is a staple in many peoples wardrobes. No matter the ocassion, out comes the jeans.

I am not into jeans at all. I own 1 pair but it seems many people use them as their "dress clothes".

I'm so used to not wearing denim, they almost feel odd when I do wear them.
Jeans have become a lot more diverse and versatile than they used to be. There are definitely some jeans that are dressier than others, but I'd be hard pressed to consider them dressy, or wear them to an occasion that requires dressy clothes.

I think that what has happened is that we have narrowed the occasions when dressiness is required. In the past, people wouldn't have gone to a fancy restaurant wearing jeans, but now it's pretty common.

There seems to be a generational divide on this. I live in a relatively upscale neighborhood, and at 50, am one of the younger guys on the block, though there are a few of us. I have noticed that we're much more casual than the older guys in terms of what we wear on the weekends, and whether or not we bother shaving.

For me, the issue is that unlike many people, I have to wear a suit to work every day, and on my own time, I don't want to get dressed up. I went to schools requiring dressier clothes when I was younger, so dressing up has always been for me that thing I never wanted to do, but had to. On my own time, I wear most jeans, unless it's a formal occasion. But there are definitely pairs that are dressier, and can look nice with a good sweater and nice shoes, as opposed to the kind that you wear to go out and work in the garden.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 PM

5,538 posts, read 8,199,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Perhaps the late 70s and early 80s, with the rise of designer jeans, can be seen to as a turning point to what the OP has questioned about?
I think that's true. That's the first time jeans actually presented themselves as dressy rather than strictly casual wear.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 PM

863 posts, read 1,024,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Funny, I was about to post the same answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or