Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM

957 posts, read 1,132,660 times

Advertisements

As Capablanca said, and as an Italian thus by definition an expert in fashion , knee high boots are definitely a woman thing, like hairbands or skirts.
If you're a guy and wear those you're at least a metrosexual...
of course military boots are another story, they look good on soldiers indeed, woodcutters, fishermen, neonazi and the likes...
I've also to add that it's not that easy even for women to wear such stuff, the border between being sexy, classy and resembling a cheap hooker is pretty thin eh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Any by "fashion forward" you mean gay?
I don't see what a person's clothes have to do with their sexual orientation?

Fashion forward. Daring, innovative, but still wearable. That particular man favors a modern pirate sort of look and I dig it.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Really?!?! You dont see it?!?!? Are you serious?!?!? Are you for real!?!?!

How about a person's orientation having something to do with their clothes/fashion sense. Does this provide a bit more clarity for you?

How many straight guys do you know who wears boots like that? Take a look at the recently posted pics - the guy helping the bride, the runway dude and the dude standing on the street with the purse. The only one who is probably not gay is the runway dude because he's getting paid to wear those for about 30 seconds only. The other guys are out and about wearing that. There is NOTHING wrong with it, its just that only certain "types" wear high boots like that.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Really?!?! You dont see it?!?!? Are you serious?!?!? Are you for real!?!?!

How about a person's orientation having something to do with their clothes/fashion sense. Does this provide a bit more clarity for you?

How many straight guys do you know who wears boots like that? Take a look at the recently posted pics - the guy helping the bride, the runway dude and the dude standing on the street with the purse. The only one who is probably not gay is the runway dude because he's getting paid to wear those for about 30 seconds only. The other guys are out and about wearing that. There is NOTHING wrong with it, its just that only certain "types" wear high boots like that.
I don't know how many gay folks you've known, but they wear many and varied items, same as straight people. And the man in the picture I posted is straight, so I don't know where you've gotten this idea that the way a person dresses has anything to do with their sexuality.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,300 times
Quote:
I don't know how many gay folks you've known, but they wear many and varied items, same as straight people. And the man in the picture I posted is straight, so I don't know where you've gotten this idea that the way a person dresses has anything to do with their sexuality.
LOL. Its not so much that a person who is gay is expected to dress a certain way, as it is that a person who dresses a certain way (i.e., knee high fashion boots, eye liner, pink scarf, etc.) is more than likely gay. I have several close friends who are gay (plus, I live in the gay capital of the world - Los Angeles) so I know what Im talking about.

The pic you posted of the guy in boots helping the bride is just a tumblr pic you found on the internet, you DO NOT KNOW THAT GUY!!! For you to say he is straight is hilarious because - 1) you do not know him; and 2) all the clues in the pic leads one to believe that he IS gay. Plus, I know him, he is gay.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
LOL. Its not so much that a person who is gay is expected to dress a certain way, as it is that a person who dresses a certain way (i.e., knee high fashion boots, eye liner, pink scarf, etc.) is more than likely gay. I have several close friends who are gay (plus, I live in the gay capital of the world - Los Angeles) so I know what Im talking about.

The pic you posted of the guy in boots helping the bride is just a tumblr pic you found on the internet, you DO NOT KNOW THAT GUY!!! For you to say he is straight is hilarious because - 1) you do not know him; and 2) all the clues in the pic leads one to believe that he IS gay. Plus, I know him, he is gay.
Uh, I actually do know him. His name is Jeff Garner, he designs a line called Prophetik and I walked in one of his fashion shows. He and his girlfriend have a kid. He's not gay, he's just got good style.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,732 times
Quote:

Fashion forward. Daring, innovative, but still wearable. That particular man favors a modern pirate sort of look and I dig it.
I like it too. It works for him.

My fifteen year old REALLY likes clothes. He is not gay. He complains all the time that the assumption is, if you are a guy who likes fashion, especially anything unconventional, that you must be gay. He likes history and historial fiction, sci-fi and fantasy, 70's glam rock, and inventive clothing that goes along with all that. He hates the limitations put upon most guys these days with clothing choices. He has always had a keen appreciation for lush fabrics, textures, colors, and unique design.

I feel sorry for guys who want to wear things outside the current "norm" for males but don't because they are afraid they will be assumed to be gay.

As a woman I can wear some pretty weird stuff, outlandish, crazy, or I can dress in guy clothes, and while other women most certainly WILL judge me for it (but whatever, women judge each other for every-effing-thing), I can still get away with it without the same problems as a guy would have.

Sucks.

My older son would probably dress like a pirate if he could "get away with it" and my younger son would probably run around looking like a very fine English gentleman from the 1880s, again, if he felt he could "get away with it".

Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 AM

33 posts, read 302,885 times
Actually, I disagree with most of the above. I just finished a 2 week vacation in Oregon & Washington. In the beginning, I passed by Scappoose to pick up my new 18" kneehigh logger style workboots. I wore them all the 2 weeks to break them in, that is for hiking in nature and for walking Portland and Seattle. I only got positive comments, both from girls and guys. So for me its a no-brainer: boots for Ladies and Guys, YES!

It seems very unfair to me that you Ladies can wear the most sexy boots all the time while guys should have to hide behind utility reasons to do so, like workboots, patrol boots, etc. In fact, I envy you for wearing high heel boots. If it was publicly accepted, I would wear kneehigh boots with high heels all day long.

Opinions?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:05 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,530,564 times
I believe for the guys, it depends on the style if it is knee high or what kind of pants they wear with it. Otherwise, i think knee high is a bit too much...just slightly below the knee is better like these guys(backup dancers) here. Only women can really pull off knee high boots.

[120112] Nine Muses - Intro + News (M!Countdown) - YouTube

Last edited by JL; 01-17-2014 at 10:18 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Here's my newest boot:

Ooops, maybe it's the wrong sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty