U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2013, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
2,311 posts, read 3,463,007 times
Reputation: 5304

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
I agree. Only women/girls of a certain physique can pull that look off properly when crouching/sitting:


Picture credit: Julian Marshall.

Women with a "fuller body" tend to look awkward, and the thickness of their thighs is accentuated by such postures:


Source: Woman Crouching On Bathroom Scale Stock Photos / Pictures / Photography / Royalty Free Images at Inmagine

The first woman appears to be suffering from anorexia, bulimia or dying of cancer.

The second woman appears to be the average and looks much more attractive overall than the crouching corpse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Westminster, London
878 posts, read 1,119,405 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
The first woman appears to be suffering from anorexia, bulimia or dying of cancer.
She's actually fine. Young and at the end of a growth spurt, so this body shape is not atypical. I don't think it's particularly helpful to demonise girls that manage to be both lithe and healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
 
Location: East of the Mississippi and South of Bluegrass
4,096 posts, read 3,388,567 times
Reputation: 8646
Default With the utmost respect, sincerely

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
She's actually fine. Young and at the end of a growth spurt, so this body shape is not atypical. I don't think it's particularly helpful to demonise girls that manage to be both lithe and healthy.
I am hopeful that you don't think it's particularly helpful to demonize girls/women who may or may not manage to be lithe and healthy as I believe all girls/women have something about them that one may find appealing. It is after all a personal matter of preference for each individual.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Westminster, London
878 posts, read 1,119,405 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I am hopeful that you don't think it's particularly helpful to demonize girls/women who may or may not manage to be lithe and healthy as I believe all girls/women have something about them that one may find appealing. It is after all a personal matter of preference for each individual.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Good afternoon. My comment has nothing at all to do with personal preference, given that it reduces to the simple proposition: "Demonisation of healthily lithe girls is unhelpful." Nothing more.

In other words, it applies regardless of whether or not one is exercising personal choice in maintaining a slender physique. I hope that clears up any misunderstanding. My regards.

Last edited by MissionIMPOSSIBRU; 02-09-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
2,311 posts, read 3,463,007 times
Reputation: 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
She's actually fine. Young and at the end of a growth spurt, so this body shape is not atypical. I don't think it's particularly helpful to demonise girls that manage to be both lithe and healthy.

No, she appears sickly. Sure, end of a growth spurt...OK. I'm not demonizing anyone (correct spelling of demonize) I'm simply commenting on a photo of someone who physically appears ill.
And...She is not slender she's dangerously thin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Westminster, London
878 posts, read 1,119,405 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
No, she appears sickly. Sure, end of a growth spurt...OK. I'm not demonizing anyone (correct spelling of demonize) I'm simply commenting on a photo of someone who physically appears ill.
And...She is not slender she's dangerously thin.
Hi. Just a few points:

1. "Demonise" is the correct spelling in UK english. I already appreciate it differs from the americanised version of the word.

2. You can actually get a reasonable health impression from what you see in the image: For example, her facial biometry and facial fat distribution is not consistent with someone who is dangerously underweight. There is no peripheral wasting and the skin has a healthy turgor. She is skinny, certainly. Unhealthy? No. I must simply disagree with you on this point.

If you've seen cancer cachexia or end-stage anorexia nervosa for real, you'll understand how what you see here is simply inconsistent with the recognisable features of someone dying of malnutrition or wasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
14,504 posts, read 11,481,746 times
Reputation: 20971
Whew that makes me feel a lot better, "as she sits adjusting her wobbly bits"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
2,311 posts, read 3,463,007 times
Reputation: 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Hi. Just a few points:

1. "Demonise" is the correct spelling in UK english. I already appreciate it differs from the americanised version of the word.

2. You can actually get a reasonable health impression from what you see in the image: For example, her facial biometry and facial fat distribution is not consistent with someone who is dangerously underweight. There is no peripheral wasting and the skin has a healthy turgor. She is skinny, certainly. Unhealthy? No. I must simply disagree with you on this point.

If you've seen cancer cachexia or end-stage anorexia nervosa for real, you'll understand how what you see here is simply inconsistent with the recognisable features of someone dying of malnutrition or wasting.

First off my apologies on the spelling correction, you are indeed correct.

I think she is grossly underweight and as a result has absolutely no female body shape and actually exhibits a physique more indicative of a 10 year old pre pubescent boy including her chest.

I'm just not attracted to this body type due to what I've just stated.

I'll take my women curvy and shapely the way women should appear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Westminster, London
878 posts, read 1,119,405 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I'm just not attracted to this body type due to what I've just stated.

I'll take my women curvy and shapely the way women should appear.
I'm definitely not in any way challenging your personal preferences.

I think we'll leave it at that sir. Enjoy your day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 AM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 9,608,567 times
Reputation: 11672
Too bad this thread was hijacked by two posters arguing like children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top