U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,374,857 times

Advertisements

To me, this little illusion / trick works best on straighter figures. It can give the effect of an hourglass shape for women who lack a super-defined waist. I don't think the silhouette dress is useful for already curvacious figures, although a variation (color blocking) can work nicely to strategically camouflage .

Somehow the black on the sides looks more "pathetic" or "obvious" than the nude.. I like the dress on Kate Moss best.

I guess the problem really is "we know what you're trying to pull" when you wear a dress like that. It almost makes one imagine your body might be worse than it really is underneath the eye tricks and gimmicks.

Last edited by k9coach; 02-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: added more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 01:09 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,148,932 times
I like them but then again I don't need the help. I already have the hourglass figure. It's good for women who do not though.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,403,050 times
The one from the Dress Shop is lovely. The others? I don't think so. It's just like every other fashion fad - women who have no business wearing them will try to do so.

Stretch pants on heavy women. Skinny jeans on not-so-skinny folks. Uber-short skirts on women who should never wear anything except pants. Costumey garments meant for entertainers on stage but worn on the street by your average woman. None of these are flattering. Or fashionable.

There's a commercial currently showing for one of the diet companies, I don't remember which one, but one of the testimonials is from gal who says, proudly, "I'm 50 years old and I'm back in a bikini!" Trust me, madam, you shouldn't be. But people latch onto a style whether or not it suits the age, weight or body type.

The silhouette looks best on a woman who doesn't need it. JMO

Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,429,096 times
Ehhh...I think this effect is pulled off better through seams instead of color.

The dresses with rectangular color down the middle look better than the curvy shaped cuts.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:24 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,403,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Ehhh...I think this effect is pulled off better through seams instead of color.

The dresses with rectangular color down the middle look better than the curvy shaped cuts.
Absolutely.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 AM

1,033 posts, read 3,238,513 times
I had to see what this "silhouette" dress is about.

Im a guy heres what I think.

Kim already has really nice curves, she doesnt need to accent them, she looks like an image from one of those mirrors in the fun house....The curved one that makes you look really short and round.

But my god... Kate Winslet is drop dead gorgeous in her dress...wow, just wow.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 AM

17,579 posts, read 21,763,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
http://www.uptowntwirl.com/wp-conten...tte_dress1.jpg
http://www.heatworld.com/upload/135928/perez-1.jpg

I've seen more and more dresses that utilize this technique of putting a curvy silhouette in a contrasting color on the front of a dress to give the illusion of a much slimmer figure.

I'm torn. On the one hand, it is certainly flattering, though I think the Kim K. picture looks shockingly unflattering. On the other, I can't help but think of one of those cheesy souvenir t shirts like so

http://highonadventure.com/Hoa08oct/...20T-Shirts.jpg

So what do y'all think?
Personally I find them a bit tacky. I know what you mean by flattering. They seem to be able to add or subtract inches. However, I think the intentional visual manipulation is a bit cheesy and over the top.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 AM

14,513 posts, read 11,495,704 times
I think the top photos are just tacky, not flattering one bit, Kates is the worst, she looks like a blown up doll... the old dear is the best of the bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty