Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times

Advertisements

I forgot to mention in my first post, When I was staying in Pasadena, CA I was walking around in a t shirt enjoying every bit of it, except sometimes at the beach it cold a bit windy and cold..

But id see people bundled up in coats when it was around 65 degrees, I thought they were crazy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
It is kind of a silly question... with a very obvious answer, but I will answer anyway.

I've spent my entire life in Texas. Well, at least the parts I was conscious of anyway (birth to age three was spent in Japan, Kansas, and Arkansas).. and I distinctly remember watching TV when I was young, seeing kids going "back to school" in jeans and corduroy and coats and being jealous. Here, I never even bothered to shop for back to school clothes for my kids until October at the earliest because they just wore what they'd been wearing all summer anyway. Shorts and t-shirts are the norm, no brisk Autumn days for back to school weather!

Same with all the magazines showing recipes for soups and Fall meals, hot chocolate and apple crisps. Means nothing to us here when it is WAY too hot to fire up an oven at that time of year!

For me, hot is horrid. And it is hot here for the majority of the year. I break the fashion rule of "no sleeveless tops", the rule I should and would apply to myself at my age/untoned arms, because it is too damned hot to care. I wear a lot of lightweight cotton and linen which seems to always be wrinkled and lighter colors even though those aren't what look best on me.

In "winter" (from December to February) I have to keep my warm stuff available plus have some sweaters and warmer things on hand, so it's never a simple matter of being able to put part of my wardrobe "away". I would love to regularly be able to wear boots, scarves, and hats but those things are worn maybe 3x a year. I wouldn't even mind the mild winters if they were consistent with temperature... like if it stayed in the 50s or 60s, but it doesn't. Winter here means weird periods of a week of 40's, then up to the 70's, then the 50's, then temps near 80! It's impossible to plan what you're going to wear without checking the forecast pretty much every day.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:30 PM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone believe that their climate limits/affects the type of clothing that you wear? Or that you would like to wear?
One would be stupid not to. There is no such thing as bad weather -- hot or cold; there only is inappropriate clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I happily live in the south where I never need serious winter gear and I think I have little limitation on my wardrobe because of it.
Sweaters and woolens hardly "limit" my wardrobe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You really don't think that an outfit appropriate for an Arizona summer would work for a Minnesota blizzard, do you?
Or vice versa!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
One would be stupid not to. There is no such thing as bad weather -- hot or cold; there only is inappropriate clothing.

Sweaters and woolens hardly "limit" my wardrobe.

Or vice versa!
When you have to wear three sweaters, a puffy coat, and a scarf covering your face, yeah, that's a fashion limitation.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Well, it's hard to wear flip flops around here in January...

We have at least six months with snow on the ground here. It's usually in the 20s or 30s, but can get to the single digits occasionally. People mostly don't care too much about fashion here, but most still aren't dressed like "big blobs" during that time. With newer technical fabrics, high loft down, and so on, you can stay dry and warm and still look like a human. And layering will keep you warmer than wearing some big bulky coat, anyways. Bright colors are common as well, and are important for safety, especially if you do much walking.

Summers last a few months, if that, and are cool and often drizzly. A nice summer day is 65F; 70F is hot and only seen a handful of times a year. But people still wear summer clothes. We lay in a hammock and drink beer on a sunny day, just like people do in warmer places. It's called acclimating. You'll even see people wearing shorts and t-shirts in the 40s, especially in the spring.

A subarctic rainforest climate doesn't have as many warm, dry days as you might elsewhere, so of course we have more winter clothes and rain gear than the average person. That seems like it would be pretty obvious. But we still have a mix of different options. I actually have a much more diverse wardrobe here than I did when I lived in Texas or Florida. I felt very limited in what I could wear comfortably down there most of the time.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Well, it's hard to wear flip flops around here in January...

We have at least six months with snow on the ground here. It's usually in the 20s or 30s, but can get to the single digits occasionally. People mostly don't care too much about fashion here, but most still aren't dressed like "big blobs" during that time. With newer technical fabrics, high loft down, and so on, you can stay dry and warm and still look like a human. And layering will keep you warmer than wearing some big bulky coat, anyways. Bright colors are common as well, and are important for safety, especially if you do much walking.

Summers last a few months, if that, and are cool and often drizzly. A nice summer day is 65F; 70F is hot and only seen a handful of times a year. But people still wear summer clothes. We lay in a hammock and drink beer on a sunny day, just like people do in warmer places. It's called acclimating. You'll even see people wearing shorts and t-shirts in the 40s, especially in the spring.

A subarctic rainforest climate doesn't have as many warm, dry days as you might elsewhere, so of course we have more winter clothes and rain gear than the average person. That seems like it would be pretty obvious. But we still have a mix of different options. I actually have a much more diverse wardrobe here than I did when I lived in Texas or Florida. I felt very limited in what I could wear comfortably down there most of the time.

Exactly. You can only get so "naked" before it becomes horribly inappropriate, or illegal.

I would definitely prefer to have the option of adding more layers to get warmer, vs. trying to wear the bare minimum of clothing and still feel like I am being roasted alive.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
I don't think this is a dumb question. Basically, I was asking whether you live in a climate where you wish you could wear different types of clothing than the climate limits you to.

For example, some people might prefer to wear lighter summer clothing all the time. While others might actually like sweaters, coats, etc.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Yes, climate affects wardrobe choices--darn! Here in NM's high desert, it's so cold in the winter I wear ugly flannel lined jeans, long underwear, wool sweaters, and scarves inside the house--sometimes a jacket and hat, too! Outdoors it's a long, down coat. Often wear mud boots when leaving the house. I liked my Seattle wardrobe--wool gab pants, lightweight sweaters, nice shoes, and a ton of precip (rain) gear.....

Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM

223 posts, read 207,786 times
Absolutely I have two separate wardrobes.

Summer and winter.

There is hardly any crossover. Winter would be your "normal" type clothing, summer is so hot here it's shorts and singlets and sarongs every day.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM

370 posts, read 624,364 times
Yes! For me a perfect wardrobe is a summer wardrobe- sundresses, lots of white, capri sandals, espadrilles. I think I was made to live in a Southern European beach town. The reality is that I live in NYC and my ideal wardrobe is something that I can wear for maybe three months out of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty