U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,258,861 times

Advertisements

I don't know when this happened but it seems like most fragrances give me a headache. I think I am just chemically sensitive overall.

When I was younger (teen years) my mother's cologne bothered me when she first sprayed it. It didn't bother me later on when I hugged her or anything. A friend of mine always smells nice but it's subtle, no headache.

I am also sensitive to other "smells", like if someone sprays bug spray it really bothers me, especially that nasty kind that has some floral aroma added in an attempt to cover up the pesticide smell. Ugh. We don't use any spray stuff like that if we have an issue, instead we use ant baits or whatever because I can't handle it.

Hair spray smells bother me too, and I have a shampoo that I loved that I had to quit using because it was SO strong/perfumey. So, people in my household can wear perfume/cologne if they apply it far away from me and stay away for a bit.

Anyway, lighter and natural scents are not a problem. I use lavender essential oil for various things and love the smell, same with other essential oils.

Some natural scents bother me too though; magnolia for one, has a very heavy scent. Roses are another. I mean directly smelling the flower itself. Oh, and incense! Absolutely forbidden in my house. It's not that I don't LIKE these scents, it's just that I get a headache within 10 minutes.

In spite of all this I'd like to have a fragrance to wear that is not bothersome. I purchased a "fragrance blend" of all natural components (a roll on oil) and it is nice but it lasts like ten minutes. When I was in my late teens and 20's I used to wear this perfume... Paris by Yves Saint Laurent. It was pricey and I would get a bottle for Christmas and make it last and last, but it did not bother me at all. I wonder what changed? Now, I steer very far from the "perfume ladies" and that whole section of department stores because even the high dollar stuff doesn't seem to agree with me, but maybe that's just too much going on at one time.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM

10,712 posts, read 19,040,812 times
If you're that sensitive why on earth do you still want to wear something? Just make sure you're clean

Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
If you're that sensitive why on earth do you still want to wear something? Just make sure you're clean

Yep!
I am just as sensitive, and I stay far far away.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,138,341 times
I would recommend trying fragrance oils rather than sprays, since you already are comfortable using EOs. Stay away from the florals that you know are bothersome, and check out CJScents website. Very highly recommended. Her oils stay closer to the skin, but the scent lasts.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Have you tried the LaVanilla line?

LAVANILA Vanilla Grapefruit Rollerball: Shop Rollerballs | Sephora

they have different variations but its chemical free and being a roller ball you won't be inhaling sprays or over doing the fragrance.

What changed in your old standby is they probably use a different base now for the fragrance. They use cheaper ingredients and those usually tend to irritate those who are sensitive. You may even notice this is lower quality EO.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 PM

3,876 posts, read 4,571,964 times
I have a similar issue with scents, but not to the degree that you do. The LaVanilla vanilla-grapefruit products don't give me a headache, but I find the body cream and lotion are a better balanced scent than the perfume and the fragrance lasts very nicely.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,403,720 times
I agree that if you are bothered by perfumes just avoid them altogether. However if you want a fragrance I suggest checking out some of the more natural brands. Check the body section at Whole Foods, Origins, Aveda, Lush, The Body Shop (I think they have some natural fragrance and some not so natural fragrance).

Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,258,861 times
Well the thing is, I am bothered when the whatever is first sprayed. Like I said, if I hug a friend who wears perfume (and doesn't overdo it) it doesn't bother me at all and it is pleasant, so I wanted to see if there might be something out there that was mild from the beginning but would have staying power. The biggest issue with it bothering me seems to be when it is too strong or when it is first applied and i am around.

I guess I just wanted to not smell just like my unscented body wash and my shampoo/conditioner for a change.

Thanks for the more natural suggestions. I think it is some sort of chemical thing with it bothering me so I was hoping for suggestions that are not chemically heavy, seems like it might work.

Also thanks for the lotion or body cream suggestion. I already use some that are lightly scented with no problems, they just don't smell good for very long, but that makes sense to explore those if i want a scent without sprays and the like.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM

10,226 posts, read 14,078,239 times
Crabtree & Evelyn has some very nice body lotions that last and are not overpowering. I particularly like Nantucket Briar, and have received compliments on that one. Summer Hill is also nice and light. I buy it online and they usually have some good sales/package deals.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
I have a problem with different smells and perfumes. If someone comes into a room wearing a heavy perfume, I just need to leave.

I am able to wear the body sprays from Bath and Body Works. They are calling them 'fine fragrance mist.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty