Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 AM

184 posts, read 702,922 times

Advertisements

MACKLEMORE - THRIFT SHOP FEAT. WANZ (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't have the patience for goodwill. I'm picky about fit and fabric and I'm not the easiest fit. Plus, it's not the highest quality stuff to begin with and after a few wears and washes, the clothes tend to look a bit ratty. The first shirt's funny, though.
The quality stuff goes fast.

In fact when to go though my closets the staff in the store grabs most of it.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,554 times
I don't shop at goodwill, for more reasons then one. I mainly don't because it's all used and the thought just grosses me out. I have heard of people finding designer bags from there. However I'm guessing you would have to be in a pretty expensive area to find such things like maybe NYC, or some other large city.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I enjoy thrifting, but I'm more likely to do it for furniture and decor than I am for clothing. The main reason is because I am not easy-to-fit, and buying clothes off the rack is a pain in the butt for me in regular clothing stores where things are well-organized and labeled. In more haphazard setups, like some thrift stores, I just don't have the patience to sort through and guess. I would love to buy jeans at Plato's Closet and the like, but they NEVER have my size.

I have zero problem buying used clothes. Wash it, what's the issue?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:18 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
99% of my wardrobe is from thrift stores. Goodwill and others. I actually prefer other local thrifts to Goodwill mainly because Goodwill is a bit silly with their pricing.

If you have Thrift Town nearby (Texas, Utah, California and New Mexico all have locations) you should check them out. The one in my town is consistently voted "best thrift store" in town, every year, and it deserves it. Clean, organized, good prices, and friendly staff.

As for the "ick" factor; I hope those who feel that way realize that anything they try on in a department store could have been tried on before you by someone with hygiene issues, no underwear, open sores, etc. So I don't see the difference, but it's no skin off my nose -- the more people who feel that way, the more stuff available for me to find and buy!

As for brands and quality; today I am wearing Eddie Bauer cords, a Talbot's short sleeve tee, and an Ann Taylor cardigan, all thrifted, all in excellent condition, total $12. The cardigan had the tags still on it with a retail price of $58.

My shoes were also new/unworn and a thrift store purchase; Dansko tooled leather clogs that I paid more than usual for ($14.99) considering that they were unworn and retail for about $125.

Yesterday I also picked up 3 vintage cameras for $8 a piece that I can re-sell for $50 plus each.

I have been buying at thrift stores for as long as I can remember, specifically after I had my first child, and selling on ebay as well as a result of my thrifting habits. I started back when I wanted cuter baby clothes than what I could normally afford, and didn't like what was available at discount stores for little boys clothes. Yes, it takes patience, but to me the savings are well worth it and I love the fact that I can get "bored" with a piece and not feel guilty about getting rid of it since it probably cost me less than five bucks in the first place. I love having an ever-changing wardrobe. When I get tired of stuff I either give it away to friends, donate it back to a thrift, or sell it as a "lot" on eBay (depending on brands and condition).

I buy all of our family's clothes at thrift shops, actually, and have always been complimented on how my kids are dressed.

I could make a list of amazing finds but it would take all afternoon. To hit the highlights though: a Chanel dress, paid $7 and sold for $350, several St. John knit suits over the years that I re-sold for a few hundred each (and paid no more than $15 for any of them), an Armani sports coat that I paid $5 for and sold for $200, a few Betsey Johnson dresses with the tags still on them that I sold for $125 a piece, and a very weird pair of rare Levi's that I paid $2 for and sold for over $500 so a bidder in Japan who was a collector of specific and rare Levi's. I don't even pretend to understand the whole Levi obsession but ok. I didn't even know there were rare (not vintage) Levi's until that pair fell into my lap.

That's just off the top of my head.
I don't buy bras/socks/undies at thrifts but I do know that Goodwill sells new undies, not used (at least here).. they are often from packs that were torn open and they sell them individually.

I also think that the GW stores here in my town re-distribute their donated goods so that it isn't necessarily the case that something donated on the wealthy side of town will be sold at the goodwill over there. I think they sort it and send it out to all the stores, because I have found some of the priciest and fanciest items at the stores on the poorest parts of town and vice versa.

I agree with the idea that the best plan for thrifting is to just go and see what you find. I have found that anytime I am looking for something specific, it is as if the universe is working against me finding that thing. You go looking for a red sweater, you will find everything BUT a red sweater that works for you! You will find a ton of ugly red sweaters, or tiny red sweaters or huge red sweaters. Something akin to Murphy's law of thrifting?

For example, I have been looking for a purse for a month now. A simple enough purse but with specific needs. I keep looking and keep ending up buying other stuff and I am not finding a purse that will suit my needs (strap length, must be big enough to hold a notebook for school, must not have gold hardware, needs to be leather)... when I need a very specific item, that is when I just give in and go to a regular retail store, lest I end up making six trips to look for a purse and coming home with $20 worth of stuff each trip and no purse!

Oh and one last thing.. I love the Macklemore song, I realize it is supposed to be funny but parts of it ring so true! Especially the part where he talks about "Limited edition, let's do some simple addition" and mentions $50 for a t-shirt. (you can Google the rest of the lyrics if you aren't familiar with them, too many words that will end up censored here).

I think I "ruined" my kids' idea of what's reasonable for clothes... they were both shocked and appalled when their paternal Grandparents took them shopping and bought them $30 plain black t-shirts and $50 pairs of jeans at the mall! They wanted to take them back and get the $$ and go thrift store shopping instead. My oldest son tells me "Mom! I could buy eight pairs of jeans for the price of one, that's nuts!"

Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 PM

217 posts, read 313,317 times
I dont want to be rude, but isnt Goodwill a place where the poor go to shop ?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 AM

184 posts, read 702,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane4madonna View Post
I dont want to be rude, but isnt Goodwill a place where the poor go to shop ?
please refer to the video at the top of this page.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:02 AM

88 posts, read 159,284 times
LOOOVEEEE me some Goodwill. B-) Also America's Thrift Stores. I mostly get jeans - they will have been broken in to "just right" for the higher-end brands. I have like 20 pairs, nearly all are brand-name, and all of them except for one were purchased at thrift stores for less than $5. I bought a couch years ago that I still have for $20 -yes, that's right, $20 - later saw the EXACT SAME COUCH online for $2,000. I remember the day well...I went in looking for something else and fell in love, it was way too good of a deal to pass up...was just a nice-looking piece of furniture. Didn't have a truck, but couldn't leave the couch there (I think it may have been that it was close to store closing and I couldn't leave it overnight, I can't remember exactly but it was *something*) and there was no one who had a truck that could come within that short time to help me.... soooo ummm....best believe...I dug up some cables, got the store to help me with carryout, I tied that couch onto the back of my car ^_^ and ROLLED OUT.

Yes, that was illegal...but fortunately I had/have a big car and didn't live very far away. Plus I could literally back up to my front door. So that is what I did, I hemmed and hawed and got it in the house. By that time I had a friend who was free and could come over and help me move it around in my apartment. Still brings back warm memories to this day ^_^

Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 AM

9 posts, read 19,847 times
I shop there (and donate pretty regularly). I prefer to buy clothes there when I am losing weight, going on vacation, etc, when I don't want to spend a lot on clothes I wont use very long. I also find cheap toys/games there for my classroom.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 AM

149 posts, read 343,256 times
I have shopped at 4/5 different Goodwills.I can tell usually as soon as I go through the door if I will find alot of good bargins or maybe only a few.
There is one Goodwill that I Love to stop in going toward Ky.Everytime I pass buy there 5/6 times a year I always stopand always leave with a huge bag or 2 of fab finds.This store does not hang anything on the racks that is smelly,or overboard outdated.I dont know where their donations come in from but they have well made top brand clothing.This is rather a small town not much there so I know the folks that live there really love their nice Goodwill.Truely its crazy its more like a botique.I wish I lived closer,I could afford to dress better.
To me its really about what YOU look good in,what suits you and fits your body type,what colors look best on you ect...it doesnt matter where your fashioneista clothes or vintage jeans or jacket came from its how you feel and look in anything you were.I like saveing money it goes around alot further this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty