U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 PM

26 posts, read 85,224 times

Advertisements

I've already read this article: Jeans for Older Men – Denim for the Professional Man over 30

Some of the stuff with the crazy stitching on the back pockets is too much for me, I prefer a more subtle look.

I like 7 for all Mankind and Adriano Goldschmied, but I'm not sure if these brands are geared for adults or teens?

Little help here, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 04:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,444 posts, read 50,699,085 times
Costo, $13.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM

1,033 posts, read 3,241,913 times
Id say some Levis are fine.... Not sure if you want jeans that are only $150 and up or not though...

Go to macys and check out their stuff, its not hard.

I would only sitck with darker colors, like dark blue, charcoal, to black.

Levis, Calvin Klein, GAP.

Most of the other brands that are more expensive get all crazy with rips and dumb stitching with weird fading.

Whenever Im "lost" in the clothing store(usually macys) I wont hesitate to ask a woman working there, they usually have pretty good style suggestions and will almost help you shop through the entire store. Just be straight with them, tell them what you want and ask them if you look goofy with these jeans on..

Id almost rather take a womans opinion on clothing anyday.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,457,369 times
Real men wear Lee. It makes their heinies sexy.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 PM

408 posts, read 841,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreQ View Post
I've already read this article: Jeans for Older Men Denim for the Professional Man over 30

Some of the stuff with the crazy stitching on the back pockets is too much for me, I prefer a more subtle look.

I like 7 for all Mankind and Adriano Goldschmied, but I'm not sure if these brands are geared for adults or teens?

Little help here, thanks.
I understand how you feel. True Religion is too flashy, and Levi's is too boring. Here are some understated quality jeans:

Men's Casual Pants by Brooks Brothers

or

Men's Straight Fit Jeans & Denim - Men's Denim & Jeans - J.Crew

or

Men's Jeans | Slim-fit and Straight-fit Jeans | Ralph Lauren

Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 PM

OP said he wanted a subtle look.......

The links that were provided above.....

just saying half the jeans on Brooks are in fact Levis.

Ralph Lauren does have nice jeans, but they are all light colored and kinda flashy. they look long too.

The J.Crew jeans have heavy fade in them.

I just think a guy should stay away from "blue" jeans and other light colored jeans... A guy in his 40s with heavily faded jeans is just trying too hard IMO, even a guy my age. Maybe its just my style though.. Light colored jeans are acceptable in the summer during the day.

For me, nothing beats a simple dark colored jean that fits your body type and a colored tee shirt, depending on where your going you might want a button up, no polos.

Darker Levis jeans and a colored shirt works for me though, If I choose a button up, I have some nice ones from Express that are fitting and colorful.

Your going to want some nice shoes too.. Avoid New Balance, Nike, and brands alike.... Im a Puma guy so I pretty much only buy Pumas. Id say to check out some of Clarks Shoes they have some nice casuals..

Bottom line, You should really just go to your outlet and ask a lady for help.... After you get some jeans picked out tell her you need a couple tops, and then after that you need some shoes to go with all of it.... It sounds like a lot to throw on someone working but they know whats up with style and love dressing people down. Ive done it before and they all have fun doing it.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,955,056 times
older men should definitely wear proper fitting jeans, seems like the young men either wear baggy extra long sloppy jeans or girly skinny jeans?

you should wear relaxed fit jeans, straight leg or slightly tapered

or loose fit with straight legs and no hip hop jeans with silly embroidery

Old 02-17-2013, 11:26 PM

408 posts, read 841,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post

Id say to check out some of Clarks Shoes they have some nice casuals.
Or Allen Edmonds if you're into understated quality and class. Clarks are definitely lower quality shoes that are not handmade.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 AM

^ some very nice shoes there... My style, I really like their McTavish, and Rapid City and a couple other models in their casual section. I would wear those with a pair of jeans.

But some of their other casuals are too casual and still seem too "luxury"

Maybe its just me but Im not really interested in handmade shoes. I could definitely get into them if I wanted a nice quality shoe that will look sharp and people will notice what are on my feet.

But where I go out to be social I wouldnt want them getting stomped on and drinks spilled on them. If I was going to the Owl Shop in New Haven with a red hot date for a night of live jazz, stogies, and Johnny Walker then I would rock some Allen Edmunds.

I still go there in my Pumas though

Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 AM

5,538 posts, read 8,198,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
^ some very nice shoes there... My style, I really like their McTavish, and Rapid City and a couple other models in their casual section. I would wear those with a pair of jeans.

But some of their other casuals are too casual and still seem too "luxury"

Maybe its just me but Im not really interested in handmade shoes. I could definitely get into them if I wanted a nice quality shoe that will look sharp and people will notice what are on my feet.

But where I go out to be social I wouldnt want them getting stomped on and drinks spilled on them. If I was going to the Owl Shop in New Haven with a red hot date for a night of live jazz, stogies, and Johnny Walker then I would rock some Allen Edmunds.

I still go there in my Pumas though
I like your taste in shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty