Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:40 PM

518 posts, read 1,004,154 times

Advertisements

I'm in my mid 40s and shop in the Junior department for all of my clothes. I like the way those styles fit my body and I love the cool designs and colors that clothes in the Junior department offer. Even though clothing in that department are primarily geared for women 16 - 25, those are the only kind that I wear and am comfortable in and look good in. The clothing they make for women my age are boring and appear outdated! They remind me of clothing from Lane Bryant but for slender women. Skinny jeans are comfy, stylish and they look good on me. The Junior tops and dresses have cool designs and I like the way they are cut.

I'd like to know if there are any other women like me in my age range that also shop in the Junior department? And if you don't shop in that department and instead shop in the Misses department, what are your reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
I'll be 40 this year and I've been shopping in the junior departments for many years. The t-shirts they sell in the junior departments fit me better (and in a more flattering way) than t-shirts in other departments. Also, many of the junior tops have much cuter designs and look better to me. Some people say that I'm too old to be shopping in Juniors, but as long as the stuff fits, I'll wear it!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I'll be 40 this year and I've been shopping in the junior departments for many years. The t-shirts they sell in the junior departments fit me better (and in a more flattering way) than t-shirts in other departments. Also, many of the junior tops have much cuter designs and look better to me. Some people say that I'm too old to be shopping in Juniors, but as long as the stuff fits, I'll wear it!
Yes, I've heard women say that before. And, it's their opinion. A woman being in her 40s or 50s does NOT mean she should start dressing like a senior citizen! You and I dress in the Juniors department for the same reasons. Now, I have seen some women my age wearing clothes from the Juniors department, and...well, it just didn't look good on them. It wasn't because they were overweight because most of them were slim like I am. I can't pin point exactly why those styles didn't look good on them.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
I think it's a tad weird personally to see 40+ year old women in snug fitting abercrombie t's. To me, it's seems as though they are trying to cling to their youth way too much and it comes off looking desperate and trashy. These types also tend to spend way too much time in the tanning salon and have obvious botox work done, as well as a set of poorly done fake *i*s (no offense to anyone I may have rubbed the wrong way by expressing my personal opinion).

Last edited by Philosophizer; 02-28-2013 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 PM

355 posts, read 912,901 times
I'm 39 and I shop Juniors, I think its what make people surprised at my age. I won't wear anything with characters on it or Abercrombie like PP mentioned, I like Jennifer Anniston's style. I am not quite ready for the "Misses" department and frumpy clothes.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 PM

No offense taken. You are entitled to your opinion. However, when I wear clothes, I wear them for me and for my guy. If people don't like the way I look in my tees, skinny jeans and halter tops, they can avert their gaze elsewhere. I've never done Botox and never will; it's not worth the risk and I don't mind having my small furrow lines between my eyebrows. Life is about having facial expressions, not trying to look like an expressionless plastic barbie doll. I tan outdoors during the summer and use Banana Boat SPF 8 Tanning Oil to keep my skin soft and melanoma-free. I've always used a self tanner on my face instead of exposing it to the sun, which is why I hardly have any wrinkles around my eyes and mouth and why my facial skin is still plump and healthy looking. I would never have breast augmentation because I don't need it and am perfectly happy with my 34Cs (and so is my sweetie!).

Old 02-28-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
I'm 39 and I shop Juniors, I think its what make people surprised at my age. I won't wear anything with characters on it or Abercrombie like PP mentioned, I like Jennifer Anniston's style. I am not quite ready for the "Misses" department and frumpy clothes.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:02 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I'm in my mid 50s and I shop in the juniors department sometimes!
In fact I sometimes shop in the juniors/teenage boy department (when buying cargo pants and shorts and jeans.)

Reason being is, I am very slim and most pants or shorts targeted towards my age range are designed for women with big thighs and butts and simply do not fit me. At all.

Now, I do not buy trendy-branded clothing, teensy halter tops, Daisy Duke type shorts or tops that would leave my bra straps showing. Because that would be just wrong and besides, I don't really want to dress like a 14-year-old. But my style (depending on the situation) is somewhere between outdoorsy-casual and Stevie Nicks retro hippy-ethnic style.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:06 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
There's a huge gap between frumpy old woman and 15 year old girl. You can look flattering and elegant without dressing like the latter

Old 02-28-2013, 05:07 PM

136 posts, read 239,124 times
I've seen some nice tops in Juniors. i bought a sweater dress but do not shop there regularly. I wont go anywhere near their pants (plumbers crack). Target , JCP, KHOLS have fairly decent Juniors department. Actually better than Macy's which has entirely too many skanky items. I had to bribe my daughter (18) to stop her from shopping in Macy's junior department. They seem to have gotten better the last year but only slightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty