Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:41 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,872,469 times

Advertisements

As a general rule of thumb, I'd say so. Whether it's right or wrong, a woman has more to lose when her looks begin to fade then men, who simply aren't valued as much strictly based on their appearance alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 12:19 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,226 times
I think it applies to maybe 50% of women. Women hit puberty sooner than men do. And boys don't really look like "men" in my opinion until they're around 23. We look like "women" at a younger age.

Assuming you don't drink or smoke and work out/have a great diet, you should be ok. However, if you tan and drink and eat crappy food, don't be surprised if your looks start to fade as a woman while your SO's don't. Then again, I have seen plenty of men that age terribly because they drink so much and don't take care of themselves as well.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I think men age faster. I see most of my male former classmates compared to female and they seem to have aged a lot faster for several reasons I would guess; they drink a lot more, do a lot more drugs, some have done time, outdoor sports, less sleep, eat more junk, don't take care of themselves, don't take care of their teeth (a big thing that people don't often realize can add or take years off your appearance), and possibly engage in more risky behaviors that can alter their health.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,872,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
I think it applies to maybe 50% of women. Women hit puberty sooner than men do. And boys don't really look like "men" in my opinion until they're around 23. We look like "women" at a younger age.

Assuming you don't drink or smoke and work out/have a great diet, you should be ok. However, if you tan and drink and eat crappy food, don't be surprised if your looks start to fade as a woman while your SO's don't. Then again, I have seen plenty of men that age terribly because they drink so much and don't take care of themselves as well.
I hear all the time women deluding themselves into thinking they look younger than they actually are. Very few of them actually do (though I normally humor them as I'm not an outright jerk). I just think there are more "decent/handsome" gentlemen that are 40+ then women. No doubt there are exceptions (the nascar watching, beer drinking, copenhagen dipping in-law/distant cousin we all seem to have).

Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post

Not to brag or anything but I've been out in the sun every summer for as long as I can remember and still look younger than a lot of my age group.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 PM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
was a bit of a sun worshipper myself , and it doesnt seem to have hurt much but then my eyesights so bad I probably think I look twenty years younger hahahahahahaha....

Old 03-06-2013, 01:00 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Geneticlly ,people are going to be a product of their parents.
Common sense teaches, that if there are tendencies in your parents past, that are detramental , then it is prudent to take steps to avoid those tendencies .
Not make excuses .
Not make excuses.
Most of us all know that eating the junk foods are not going to produce a healthy body.
Many of us know that sodas ,processed meats ,and grains ,and alcohol and drugs even prescription drugs are detramental .
The body lives on living tissue , that is where energy comes from .
Most deseases are preventable, but they bring too much profit to the medical community to care to cure ,they prefir to manage it in stead.
The process of aging is excellerated with poor circulation = dead food .
The woman that cares about her hsband makes an effort to encourage healthy foods by eating healthy her self .
I have observed both sexes and their habbits and though women have the biological clock to be concerned with , taking action KNOWING changes are going to take place makes a giant difference .
But acting like it isn't going to happen,they are the exception to the rule, and like it is some sort of big supprize, one earns the product of their own neglect.
Men suffer differently in that those of us whom have been culture to work hard ,putting loads or injuries on our bodies never designed for ,pay for that in time, and it all comes back to haunt as age takes it's tole.
Kids rarely learn form the warning of the aged , I did well , but not well enough .

Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
As a general rule of thumb, I'd say so. Whether it's right or wrong, a woman has more to lose when her looks begin to fade then men, who simply aren't valued as much strictly based on their appearance alone.
I don't care one way or the other, but to answer your question, I would say that it generally does.

I think aging is natural, and it is what we do, but some men look at women differently as they age, etc. On the other hand, some women look at men who are aging, and think it is attractive. I am one of those women. I like those little wrinkles at the sides of the eyes and the bit of grey....

On the other hand, I am almost 40, so maybe I am getting to an age when my counterpart may have that look, and I should be attracted to that, who knows.

Different strokes for different folks.

If you polled the C-D Relationships forum, the answer would be absolutely. Older women are just done with. No more good for anything, etc, etc.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Weight has a lot to do with it and men have naturally more muscle then women.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I'm a guy and it hasn't affected me much. I've aged slightly in the past 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty