U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 PM

149 posts, read 211,394 times

Advertisements

never worn a whole lot, max lipstick, eye shadow, and eyeliner. but it seems as though an evener skin tone might be worth it now. what would you suggest? think my skin is a tad on the dry side, but basically normal. fair number of blotches and sun spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 01:51 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,426,168 times
Well with the spots you may be covered by insurance to remove them. Look into it. Its a preventative measure just in case those spots turn into skin cancer.

I think cream stick foundations and the BB creams are great for dry skin.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:24 PM

158 posts, read 489,182 times
Sunscreen is a must, at least 30SPF. I can't live without my concealer and foundation if I'm going somewhere special. I moisturize regularly as well. I'm the same age as OP!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 PM

40,951 posts, read 32,676,353 times
I am fifty one. I use a good moisturizer and then just L'Oreal liquid foundation. If I'm going someplace special, or if for some reason I wake up and realize that I have dark circles under my eyes, I dab a little concealer under my eyes before putting on the light foundation. I set the foundation by patting on some light powder around my eyes and on my chin sometimes.

The foundation I use has sunscreen in it. So does the moisturizer now that I think of it.

Here's my "look." I live in Texas and some people say that we wear more makeup than most other people - I don't know. All I know is that I use light foundation, sometimes powder, a little bit of cream blush, lipgloss, dark eyeshadow as eyeliner (a smudgy look, not a line) and mascara.

I've found as I get older that heavy makeup isn't flattering but that the even skin tone that a light foundation and powder gives (as long as it's applied VERY lightly) works well. I think I could even forego the blush - it's really not even a blush, just a bronzer sort of stuff, and in the summer I can go without it because I work in my yard alot and even though I wear sunscreen I get a little color in my cheeks. Anyway, here's the result of my morning ritual:

Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 PM

10,714 posts, read 19,054,470 times
I agree, if you don't usually wear alot of makeup - try a BB cream (the Maybelline actually is very nice, it's light and just a little coverage plus a little moisture) - I had sent for a sample from somewhere and liked it (I think I got sample(s) from some mag.?) - Give it a shot. You may not need a foundation, just something to blend/cover/moisturize a bit.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,488,273 times
What a cutie you are - beautiful skin Kathy!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
What a cutie you are - beautiful skin Kathy!
LOL thank you! When I was young I HATED my "fat baby face" and combination skin with occasional breakouts, but I am thanking my lucky stars for that extra layer of pudge and that little extra bit of oil now that I'm in my fifties!

SUNSCREEN LADIES, SUNSCREEN. And moisturizer every day, even if you have oily skin (use oil free moisturizer). That's my big skin care advice!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,488,273 times
I think that if your skin care is adequate, it will help your make-up to look it's best. Daily exfoliating, twice a day cleansing, moisturizing day and night...and a good eye cream....without good skin care, no amount of make-up is going to look that great. You don't want to apply foundation to dry skin.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I think that if your skin care is adequate, it will help your make-up to look it's best. Daily exfoliating, twice a day cleansing, moisturizing day and night...and a good eye cream....without good skin care, no amount of make-up is going to look that great. You don't want to apply foundation to dry skin.
RIGHT ON.

Now that I am older and my skin is not oily, one thing that I do every morning after my bath (I am a morning bath person) is rub almond oil right into my fresh, clean face. It's got a hint of lavender oil in it. Oh man, it feels TERRIFIC. By the time I'm ready to put on makeup, it's soaked in (I don't put much on my face).

At night, I do the same, or I put a heavier moisturizer cream on - it varies. What I DON'T do is go to bed without moisturizer, or put on makeup without it. Ugh - can't imagine it!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM

2,888 posts, read 4,478,213 times
Kathryn you look great for a woman in her fifties. I would have guessed late thirties early forties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty