Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing about BB cream and I want to try it, because at my age I think that the heavier the makeup, the worse it looks! I'm including a photo of my skin tone to help with your recommendations.

I am fifty one years old. I have combination skin that's a bit sensitive but not crazy (I mean that it can tingle a bit if I put something really strong on it, especially PABA-containing sunscreens). I don't have many breakouts and I don't have a lot of dryness - just a little shine to my forehead and chin sometimes. I use a lightish foundation right now because my skin tone itself is light (on a scale of 1-10 with one being extremely fair and ten being very dark African), I would say I am a 2. People are often surprised at how light a foundation I use but it's like my skin is fair but I have a lot of color to it, if that makes any sense.

Here is a picture of my complexion:

I would appreciate any suggestions! I like to look as natural as possible and use as few products as possible but protection and nutrition for my skin is my top priority.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Kathryn, you are gorgeous. I found Revlon BB cream at Walgreens. It comes in three shades, one of which is light enough for my pale peachy skin. I use it instead of makeup in casual situations, and under makeup when I take the time to look fully put together.

I like Revlon's colors for blondes; they get that peachy undertone just right. The cream is moisturized and goes on nicely. I doesn't completely even out my skin tone; but if I put makeup over it, my skin does indeed look very even in tone.

I've learned to use both BB and makeup sparingly. I apply the BB cream over my regular moisturizer. (I have dry skin.)

I have some redness on my face. And an age freckle on my cheek. That's what I'm referring to about evening the skin tone.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I have only tried the one from Olay. I like it ok, and since I don't wear makeup, it does give a light coverage that I am not used to, but it looks fine. It does not bother my skin, and I have pretty sensitive skin, and it also has a very 'fresh' scent.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,469 times
Your skin is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell do you do to it? What do you eat? Do you exercise and if so what and your schedule. I mean really beautiful skin!!!! I mean a babies bottom really.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
I have tried two. I just started with the lower end, not wanting to spend a lot and end up hating it, so the first I tried was Cover Girl. It was okay. I recently tried an Aveeno version and I like the feel and scent a lot better. I ended up keeping it and giving the CG to a friend.

Both of them seemed pretty flexible as far as not needing to be a perfect match for your skin tone. Not like foundation. What I mean is, if it is a bit off, it blends well and isn't obvious that it is "off".

Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Kathryn, you are gorgeous. I found Revlon BB cream at Walgreens. It comes in three shades, one of which is light enough for my pale peachy skin. I use it instead of makeup in casual situations, and under makeup when I take the time to look fully put together.

I like Revlon's colors for blondes; they get that peachy undertone just right. The cream is moisturized and goes on nicely. I doesn't completely even out my skin tone; but if I put makeup over it, my skin does indeed look very even in tone.

I've learned to use both BB and makeup sparingly. I apply the BB cream over my regular moisturizer. (I have dry skin.)

I have some redness on my face. And an age freckle on my cheek. That's what I'm referring to about evening the skin tone.
Thank you and this is great information! Sounds like we have similar skin.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
Your skin is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell do you do to it? What do you eat? Do you exercise and if so what and your schedule. I mean really beautiful skin!!!! I mean a babies bottom really.
Well, thank you very much! In that photo, I AM wearing a light foundation (and probably concealer under my eyes, can't remember).

But I did manage somehow to inherit my red headed Scots Irish grandmother's fabulous skin. She was pretty vain about it and took scrupulous care of it, and did her best to pass her tricks down to me. I'd like to take credit for "keeping it up" but the reality is probably that a lot of that is due more to good genes than my care.

That being said, I DO take some precautions to safeguard my skin, which is why I am so interested in BB creams.

I don't get in tanning beds. I wear sunscreen every day. I do get out in the sun (I think sun is good for us in moderation), but mostly as I'm working in my yard, or walking, that sort of thing.

I exercise moderately - mostly just walking, or getting on the treadmill. I do work out in my yard a lot - probably at least an hour a day (or more) except for in the winter. Oh and I love hiking but I don't get to do it as often as I would like to!

I have to admit to one habit that I do think plays a critical role in keeping healthy skin - I eat very healthy foods and keep things as natural as possible. Lots of fruits and veggies, plenty of filtered or spring water, very little red meat, plenty of good oils and very few bad ones. Not many fried foods. I prefer to get most of my nutrients from foods, but I also take biotin for skin, hair, and nail health - and boy does it seem to work. I can really tell a difference if I run out of it and don't take it for a few weeks.

I also use natural oils on my skin for moisturizers after cleansing it. I prefer almond oil with lavender essential oil in it, or avocado oil with lavender. (lavender soothes skin) In fact, I sometimes use coconut oil also. JUST A LITTLE BIT GOES A VERY LONG WAY.

Oh, and I do NOT pull on my skin or use anything harsh on it. I stick to as natural as possible, including cleansers. (I really like Dr Bronners soap or natural oatmeal soaps or olive oil soaps.)

None of this stuff is expensive. I do pamper myself with two luxuries, however. One is that I get a professional facial about twice a year. The other is that I buy Borghese's Italian mud mask and I give myself a mask about once a month. It's really scary looking but I love it! Apparently it lasts forever because I've had the jar I've got now for probably eight years (I know - experts would say to throw it out but it smells and looks fine and feels terrific!).

Old 03-14-2013, 12:26 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Based on a thread from last year:

BB cream - ever heard of it?

I took one poster's recommendation for Missha and figured out my shade based on just the color swatches online. It was super easy.

Since this concept began in Asia as far as I have learned, I thought it would be better to try the real thing first before buying the American version(s). And I'm glad I did.

In the last few years I have been struggling with bouts of redness and nothing seemed to help including many prescriptions from the dermo. The Missha BB cream gives a flawless complexion, and it lasts all day. It doesn't smear of rub off, it actually sort of 'sets' as soon as you swipe it on. Light coverage - you can't really tell it's even there, but it evens everything out and no more redness. As in, my skin has improved since using it, partnered with Finacea at night which before had no impact at all.

I got a full sized bottle on eBay and I haven't even gone through half the product yet. It smells nice and the pump dispenser keeps everything clean and neat.

You might want to read through the linked thread because there are lots of good posts and recommendations there. I hope you find your true love BB Cream as I have.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I have tried two. I just started with the lower end, not wanting to spend a lot and end up hating it, so the first I tried was Cover Girl. It was okay. I recently tried an Aveeno version and I like the feel and scent a lot better. I ended up keeping it and giving the CG to a friend.

Both of them seemed pretty flexible as far as not needing to be a perfect match for your skin tone. Not like foundation. What I mean is, if it is a bit off, it blends well and isn't obvious that it is "off".
This is what others have told me as well. That's odd, but cool.

I hope there's not really weird stuff in these creams. I wonder what makes them so good? They sure do seem to be all the rage.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is what others have told me as well. That's odd, but cool.

I hope there's not really weird stuff in these creams. I wonder what makes them so good? They sure do seem to be all the rage.
It is great for me, because that was the main reason I stopped trying to wear foundation. I got so sick of trying to match to my skin tone (I am very pale with pink undertones). I like that I don't have to worry about it with the BB cream. I still only wear it when I am going somewhere specific (school or a social even), I don't bother when I am running errands or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have to admit to one habit that I do think plays a critical role in keeping healthy skin - I eat very healthy foods and keep things as natural as possible. Lots of fruits and veggies, plenty of filtered or spring water, very little red meat, plenty of good oils and very few bad ones. Not many fried foods. I prefer to get most of my nutrients from foods, but I also take biotin for skin, hair, and nail health - and boy does it seem to work. I can really tell a difference if I run out of it and don't take it for a few weeks.
Have these been lifelong habits or more recent? Just wondering if there's hope for a 'turnaround' for me at 41, soon to be 42.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty