U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 06:23 PM

368 posts, read 1,780,252 times

Advertisements

Skytrekker -

You are the go to person for sure! That was exactly the kind of list I was looking for. Thanks so much. We are a week or two out from putting in an offer on a place in Old Lyme...hope to make the move at the end of the school year. Vacilate between being excited and a nervous wreck, so my way of dealing with it is by figuring out how many coats I will need - sort of micromanaging for medicinal purposes! I probably have a servicable combination of the items on your list, and will just add to it as becomes necessary.

You have been a big help, both here and in other postings. I am not sure you realize how helpful it is to be able to ask these types of mundane questions and have an answer from someone who knows. It has been of immeasurable help to me in this period of transition, and I extend my profuse thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 05:51 AM

4,459 posts, read 6,119,135 times
Good to know I can be of some help Dougnaie

We have others coming into the state from CA, AZ, TX and FL who have to 'adjust'. This October has been 9 degrees above normal.
A gal over at the New Hampshire board 'Suzet2262' is having a hard time with relocation from southern CA to Keene New Hampshire- you could be of help! Click link to NH forum of CD) Good luck in Old Lyme and with the cats moving!

Tired of people telling me to not move to Keene

Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 AM

9,402 posts, read 8,783,523 times
[quote=dougnaie;1846917]Skytrekker -

You are the go to person for sure! That was exactly the kind of list I was looking for. Thanks so much. We are a week or two out from putting in an offer on a place in Old Lyme...hope to make the move at the end of the school year.
QUOTE]

I relocated from So Cal to the Central Plains area and the first winter truly was a climate shock! I too was concerned about what type of winter gear I would need. You have received good advice from the OPs. And you will build your wardrobe accordingly. In Cali I had one set of clothes for all year . . . not so anymore! I wouldn't be without my thermals! They are lightweight and yet keep me toasty warm. I even have thermal socks . . . love 'em! Oh, and gloves with 'thermiseal'. And you'll also learn how to "stock" winter gear and equipment in your car as well. And how to stock up the pantry for those days that you can't get out due to the weather. You are a survivor, you'll make it.

One thing to remember . . . when it is freezing out, your main priority will be to stay as warm as safe as possible. You won't care if you look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy or the Michelin Man. And you will learn how to dress in layers because when you go to the store, it will be warm inside and you'll need to "unlayer".

Good luck on your move!

Old 10-28-2007, 12:26 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,323,639 times
There is no fashion when it's freezing. Good solid Yankee advice...get layers and wear them.
Underneath wear a nice sweater and pants if you are worried about 'fashion.'

Old 10-28-2007, 11:38 PM

448 posts, read 921,570 times
You don't have to be bulky to be warm....2 words for ya....Cuddle Duds. Thin lightwieght long underwear, tops and camisoles you can wear under anything.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:51 AM

9,402 posts, read 8,783,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmousern View Post
You don't have to be bulky to be warm....2 words for ya....Cuddle Duds. Thin lightwieght long underwear, tops and camisoles you can wear under anything.
Agreed! You can buy the identical product at Wal-Mart for half the price!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:08 AM

368 posts, read 1,780,252 times
Thanks, ladies - that's help...I can see why an under layer would be helpful, but have always hated the idea of feeling...overcrowded...in my clothes. I will look into the above. Thanks again..Keep the suggestions, ideas etc coming.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:38 PM

15 posts, read 72,425 times
Some people handle the cold better than others so I am going to tell you how I dress to stay warm. I was born and raised in North New Jersey. I know people that never wear thermals and are fine with a waist length coat and gloves, no scarf or hat. I couldn't live without thermals underneath my clothes. If it gets below say 25 I'm probably wearing my layers. That is the best advise I can give you is to layer. I wear my usual underwear than I put on an insulating layer that consists of thermals or tights and an undershirt with wool socks to keep my feet warm. Then my clothes, pant with sweater and boots. If it's snowing I'll wear boots that can handle that. I won't wear my nice boots to walk on ice and snow cause then I'm just asking to fall on my behind!! Then I have my coat, which is always to the knee because my thighs get super cold so I need that extra protection, scarf, hat and warm gloves. Layering is KEY!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:55 PM

12 posts, read 28,617 times
I moved from hawaii to Massachusetts last year. So the winters are cold for me. Almost every saturday I go outside to sled. For snowboarding I go to a mountain in late March when its warmer. Well anyway most of the time the tempreture is below freezing so good boots that dont easily slip on ice are very good. When I put on some snowpants, its way better if you put some lighter pants underneath. Most of the time I wear two warm sweaters. The I wear a very warm overoat. I almost always wear a hood and a scarf. If its windy I wear a ski mask. Also those big heavy gloves are realy waem.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,258,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
SAnd you will learn how to dress in layers because when you go to the store, it will be warm inside and you'll need to "unlayer".
I've noticed this, too. The stores are kept too warm in the winter when you're overdressed coming from outside. It's amazing how it works... in my neck of the woods you need to put on a coat when you enter a public place in summer because it's like a meat locker! It's the same in CA, though. Are there any normal temperatures kept inside in any state?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty