Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,074 times

Advertisements

My thread on about whether the car a guy drives makes an impression on women brought out some interesting and charged responses. What I thought was obvious in that a guy's presentation makes an impression on women he is seeking to attract, seems to have had a strong reaction. Which left me asking to what extent do women expect men to be image and style conscious, especially given women's emphasis on their self improvement in this area?

You see one of the worst pieces of advice I hear women often give men is "just be yourself". I think the better advice is "be your best self": commit to self improvement and constantly seek to enhance your grooming, appearance, and fitness, along with continuing to develop a better dating skills, lifestyle, and career. And the fundamental distinction between the two approaches is that the "just be yourself" advice suggests "don't worry about it, do nothing, let fate happen" while the other advice requires goals, action, and commitment to self improvement.

But rather than discuss this in the abstract as they say, I thought I would be more interesting to just get your opinion as to how a man's dress and appearance affect a woman's attraction and impression of him. Is this one of those areas where a man should "just be himself" or should he be more style and image conscious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 AM

968 posts, read 1,137,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
My thread on about whether the car a guy drives makes an impression on women brought out some interesting and charged responses. What I thought was obvious in that a guy's presentation makes an impression on women he is seeking to attract, seems to have had a strong reaction. Which left me asking to what extent do women expect men to be image and style conscious, especially given women's emphasis on their self improvement in this area?

You see one of the worst pieces of advice I hear women often give men is "just be yourself". I think the better advice is "be your best self": commit to self improvement and constantly seek to enhance your grooming, appearance, and fitness, along with continuing to develop a better dating skills, lifestyle, and career. And the fundamental distinction between the two approaches is that the "just be yourself" advice suggests "don't worry about it, do nothing, let fate happen" while the other advice requires goals, action, and commitment to self improvement.

But rather than discuss this in the abstract as they say, I thought I would be more interesting to just get your opinion as to how a man's dress and appearance affect a woman's attraction and impression of him.
Every guy should have his own 'style' and stick with it. What works for one man doesn't for another.

To put it simply, I don't think the gals at Lowe's who think I'm hot want to see me all smurfed up in goochie clothes. The 'goochie' guy wouldn't even be in there in the first place.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:02 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
I'm not posting my opinion on this subject.

But I think it's pretty hilarious.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I think what you wear and how you present yourself is extremely important, regardless of gender. I know I get treated A LOT differently when I'm dressed in slacks and a button up shirt with my makeup and hair done vs. no makeup, jeans, tshirt and my hair in a ponytail. It's night and day. Am I any different in those two outfits? Nope, same person.

From my experience, it makes me feel good when another person makes an effort to look presentable for me. It shows they enjoy my company and want to present the best version of themselves. If a guy shows up on a date in ripped jeans and a dirty sweatshirt, he obviously doesn't care much about the date or the impression he's making, but if he shows up in clean clothes (nothing fancy, mind you) it shows that he is taking me, and subsequently our date, seriously.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM

968 posts, read 1,137,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I'm not posting my opinion on this subject.

But I think it's pretty hilarious.
Me too brother....

John Mellencamp - Pink Houses - YouTube

Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I've been a conservative dresser since my prep school days in New England. My wife has modified my underwear collection for the better and forbids me to wear loafers, but London is nearby and they make nice casual oxfords and the like.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:12 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:

But rather than discuss this in the abstract as they say, I thought I would be more interesting to just get your opinion as to how a man's dress and appearance affect a woman's attraction and impression of him. Is this one of those areas where a man should "just be himself" or should he be more style and image conscious?
Nah, I disagree with you.
I don't care what a man drives (I finally own my first vehicle under 10 years old), or what his "style" is.
If he's clean and funny, he's my kind of guy.
Suits don't impress me.

I don't even care what he does for a living so long as he's happy with himself.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:

All right dear, just remember one thing; the shiny feathers work for peacock boy, because peacock girls are on greyish side, naturally. The human girls, however, like to wear shiny feathers themselves for a reason.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
It all matters IMO. But, walk into a room filled with people you might care to impress, and they don't know where you live or what you drive or what you do for a living. All they can see is your body/mannerisms and your outfit.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:

Flip open a GQ magazine and that's pretty much my wardrobe, even though I'm very athletic.

I have never cared what anyone, especially another dude, thinks about how I dress. I see a style, I like it, and I wear it for me. If a guy has to question my manhood based on my dress, then that speaks more of him than anything. Sorry I'm not a square.

There are women who will like that I wear colored pants, nerd frames, scarfs, blazers, ties with tie bars, matching socks with everything, etc, and then there are girls who don't find that attractive.

Either way, I don't really care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty