Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM

855 posts, read 1,383,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Depends on your size and shape.

I'm tall and large busted....NOTHING fits. I have to order most of my clothing (even t shirts and jackets) online because they're never long enough in the torso or sleeves. Lately I've been lucking out and I've found 2 pairs of jeans that were 'long' and they fit all the way to the ankles on me! Everything else is ordered, and extended sizes are more expensive.

Consider yourself very lucky if you can buy things off the rack.
I can understand your side of the coin jet. The tall ladies I know who have difficulties shopping for clothes that fit complain more about not finding a nice pair of shoes or sandals large enough.

On the flipside, I have to get a lot of my pants tailored because there's never enough leg room, plus the fact that I'm a short guy. Almost always, I have to my pants hemmed because the legs are too short. Bad enough that the sizes that can accomodate my thick thighs and big calves are in the much larger size range.

Have you tried any of the Tall Girl Shops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
I can understand your side of the coin jet. The tall ladies I know who have difficulties shopping for clothes that fit complain more about not finding a nice pair of shoes or sandals large enough.

On the flipside, I have to get a lot of my pants tailored because there's never enough leg room, plus the fact that I'm a short guy. Almost always, I have to my pants hemmed because the legs are too short. Bad enough that the sizes that can accomodate my thick thighs and big calves are in the much larger size range.

Have you tried any of the Tall Girl Shops?
Luckily, I'm tall but wear a size 10 shoe so I have plenty of options in that respect.

I do know how to sew, and if I can find a nice shirt that is long enough and big enough for my chest, I used to just nip in the waist a bit to fit. If I find a shirt that fits, it's a guarantee I'll own one in every color. I have bought clothing from Tall Girl shops, but they can be reallllly expensive. I usually stick to Alloy or Gap Tall because I think it's silly to spend $200+ on a blazer and pair of slacks.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 AM

855 posts, read 1,383,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Luckily, I'm tall but wear a size 10 shoe so I have plenty of options in that respect.

I do know how to sew, and if I can find a nice shirt that is long enough and big enough for my chest, I used to just nip in the waist a bit to fit. If I find a shirt that fits, it's a guarantee I'll own one in every color. I have bought clothing from Tall Girl shops, but they can be reallllly expensive. I usually stick to Alloy or Gap Tall because I think it's silly to spend $200+ on a blazer and pair of slacks.

Consider yourself a little bit lucky. There are women taller than average (5'7 to 5'10) but shorter than your 6'1 who need size 11,12 and 13 shoes. They are hard to find.

I agree with you about not spending big time dollars on certain clothes. You'll never see me buying the $150 - $200 pairs of Levis at specialty shops. I'll take the discounted Levis, Wranglers or Bluenotes that get sent to outlet stores due to minor imperfections. It's amazing that the major jean companies will drop the price nearly 80% and pawn them off to stores like Winners or Wal-Mart because of one bad stiching that nobody really notices.

Gotta love that home-ec class way back in middle school! I appreciate Mrs D. that much more after so many years for teaching me all kinds of sewing techniques. I alter my own clothes but if there's something I can't do without ruining it, I'll get them adjusted professionally.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:39 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,039 times
I do notice that the assortment of men's clothing at big box stores like TJ Maxx and Ross are incredibly more casual than the women's clothing. It's ridiculous, in all honesty.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 AM

3 posts, read 5,184 times
Because some men don't care about their looks.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:18 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Why are there so many men that dress like slobs. In clothing that doesn't fit. Or pants that sag so low they can't even walk. Or dirty baggy white tees that should have been re-purposed for dust rags, 3 years ago?

What are these men thinking, it is so not attractive. They really should present themselves better and stop being so slobby.*

Spoiler
This is tongue in cheek. Way too many threads talking about women's attire and looks here, time to reciprocate.
Because no offense, but based on what I know, some males actually are slobs and they see no need to try to hide this.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:50 PM

10 posts, read 16,800 times
Most men know they look "good" in suits, but suits are expensive, take time to put together right (w/ tie, pocket kerchief, etc.), and need to be drycleaned and ironed after use. I think as a matter of convenience, a lot of men these days just prefer jeans and a t-shirt or something simple like that.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Here are my reasons:
  1. I am cold sensitive and long sleeves + jeans are the best way for me to stay warm.
  2. Spending time on choosing the right type of clothing every day is boring and annoying. Unless there is an occasion or need why waste time on clothing. Put on what looks sensible and move on with stuff
  3. I don't wear makeup or beautify like women. What you see is the real deal
  4. I don't like to be waxed clean. Some of us like our body hair, and perhaps this is what makes you think we are disgusting slobs, while in reality we are not and keep our bodies just as clean as shaved guys, except with a bushy layer on top.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:03 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Here are my reasons:
  1. I am cold sensitive and long sleeves + jeans are the best way for me to stay warm.
  2. Spending time on choosing the right type of clothing every day is boring and annoying. Unless there is an occasion or need why waste time on clothing. Put on what looks sensible and move on with stuff
  3. I don't wear makeup or beautify like women. What you see is the real deal
  4. I don't like to be waxed clean. Some of us like our body hair, and perhaps this is what makes you think we are disgusting slobs, while in reality we are not and keep our bodies just as clean as shaved guys, except with a bushy layer on top.
Do you dress like a slob, or just dress casually?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Do you dress like a slob, or just dress casually?
What I have as my profile picture is usually the kind of clothes I wear everyday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty