Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:06 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekster View Post
I dress as slob on days that I have too much work. Once I went 3 days with only 6 hours of sleep. The girls do that too and don't look as pretty, but that's what happens when you pick engineering as your major.
Ahhh but if you love engineering you never work a day in your life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,871 times
Hahahahaha yep, I was a penny short the other day and got a break too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Lololol...

Plus it is always good to have people under estimating you!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 AM

863 posts, read 1,129,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I'm not obligated to agree with you nor are you obligated to agree with me. I didn't say men weren't judged by their looks I said their value as a person or as a man isn't determined by their looks. Those aren't the same things. Far as I can tell any opinion that doesn't agree with what the men have to say is labeled 'bitter.' So whatever that really does nothing for me or to me....

They DO sit around discussing market value of women, obviously you don't read the Relationships forum because that issue has come up more then once. The other one is: "when do women start to age" etc. But I guess I'm making these threads up. There's a constant focus put on women losing their looks for a reason -- because that's how their worth and/or value is determined.

These types of remarks are always brushed off as 'men don't do this or that,' or there's something wrong with 'those men.' Hey, whatever. You expressing your opinion on how the majority of men think is no more 'right' then my opinion on these matters.
Actually, it is. Height is part of looks and that is one thing that is VERY important to women. We short guys are judged as people who can't protect and/or make women feel "feminine." If you're mad, you have "Short Man Syndrome"...if you're humble, you're considered a pushover. Also, if you don't "measure up" to their standards, you're basically nothing to women.

Speaking of the Relationships forum, there are umpteen threads about men's height as there are about women's looks. Which brings me to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I realize that this thread isn't supposed to be serious, but it got me thinking. Men dress like slobs because there's no point in trying to be vogue for several reasons:

4. I've noticed a lot of disenchanted men in society, so I think some have just given up after being beat down.
I've been disenchanted by women for some time now. I gave up trying to dress nicely since I'm going to be judged by them no matter what. Why waste money and time on that? I've learned to stop caring what they think about me because, in the end, like me, they're still. just. people.

By the way, why is it that women feel forced to dress a certain way? I'm confused. Nobody puts a gun to your head and says "dress to impress." If anything, I thought women LOVED to dress sexy anyway since it makes them feel "feminine."

Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Actually, it is. Height is part of looks and that is one thing that is VERY important to women. We short guys are judged as people who can't protect and/or make women feel "feminine." If you're mad, you have "Short Man Syndrome"...if you're humble, you're considered a pushover. Also, if you don't "measure up" to their standards, you're basically nothing to women.

Speaking of the Relationships forum, there are umpteen threads about men's height as there are about women's looks. Which brings me to this...
No it is very different. Women's worth is determined by looks in all aspects of their life, personally and professionally. Less-attractive women get paid less and get fewer promotions compared to their more attractive peers. There is even a little bit of evidence that makeup is required for professional success.

All of your complaints are specifically related to relationships. You don't hear about anyone chiming in on how unattractive Rush Limbaugh is when talking about his effectiveness as a leader or a talk show host. It isn't relevant to the conversation. Unfortunately, for women, looks and attractiveness are always considered relevant.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No it is very different. Women's worth is determined by looks in all aspects of their life, personally and professionally. Less-attractive women get paid less and get fewer promotions compared to their more attractive peers. There is even a little bit of evidence that makeup is required for professional success.

All of your complaints are specifically related to relationships. You don't hear about anyone chiming in on how unattractive Rush Limbaugh is when talking about his effectiveness as a leader or a talk show host. It isn't relevant to the conversation. Unfortunately, for women, looks and attractiveness are always considered relevant.
That's funny...

Mist of the current female powerhouses are not "pretty."

Hilary? Nope...
Sotomayor? Nope...
Michelle Bachman? Hell no...
Palin? Hahahahah
Obama? Can you say Predator?
Oprah? Hahahahaha
Sandberg? I think so but I'm weird.
Condi? Nope.

Power doesn't come from beauty. Power comes from brains. That short list of women are frickin scary smart or savvy. Yeah, even Palin and Bachmann. You don't just get that high in politics without smarts of some sort.

The reason it seems like beauty matters is because some women can slide by on their beauty and charm. Certainly some industries require beauty like journalism and fashion but it applies to men as well. You'll never see Rush lookalikes on news unless they have power. You'll always see Anderson Cooper look a likes though.

Meanwhile, in the real world women are hired for the same reasons men are.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
That's funny...

Hilary? Nope...
Sotomayor? Nope...
Palin? Hahahahah
Oprah? Hahahahaha
Condi? Nope.

Power doesn't come from beauty. Power comes from brains. That short list of women are frickin scary smart or savvy. Yeah, even Palin and Bachmann. You don't just get that high in politics without smarts of some sort.

The reason it seems like beauty matters is because some women can slide by on their beauty and charm. Certainly some industries require beauty like journalism and fashion but it applies to men as well. You'll never see Rush lookalikes on news unless they have power. You'll always see Anderson Cooper look a likes though.

Actually, I find most of those women on that list very pretty.

Regardless, how often do you read an article about any of those women that doesn't mention what she's wearing or what she looks like?

I'm a woman who has been told I'd never advance if I didn't 'do my hair and wear makeup'. So I guess I have first hand experiece with what it takes as a woman to succeed. I've also worked in a few places where I was part of the team who hired people and what a female applicant looked like came up in pretty much EVERY SINGLE conversation. I know of quite a few women who were hired on looks alone, and a few who weren't hired (even if they were the best applicant) because the guys just couldn't look at her 40 hours a week. The only time I can remember it coming up for a male applicant was when he was very obese and we didn't think he would be able to fit into certain compartments in the aircraft we had. This IS real world experience for me.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:26 PM

863 posts, read 1,129,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

No it's pretty much the same. Taller men get paid higher salaries. They're also respected more in the business world (and most other aspects of life). I know this isn't the rule, but height does sometimes play a factor in who will take the lead in a company also.

To show I'm not making this up:

Size Does Matter: Taller Men Earn More - Careers Articles

Why tall people make more money - CNN.com

Imagine the laughter if a 5'4" man tried running for president. Jokes about his height non-stop! Unfortunately, heightism is still an acceptable prejudice that many refuse to acknowledge.

By the way, my statement was relevant because Doll Eyes stated, "I said their value as a person or as a man isn't determined by their looks." I made the counter-point that this is, in fact, false. Doesn't being virtually ignored in the dating world show that we are also undervalued. If you want to talk about being undervalued in the corporate world, read the links above. Just because it's not a mainstream ideal doesn't make it any less relevant than your idea that looks determines the value of women (which I happen to also somewhat agree with). All in all, we live in a really crappy society.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
That's funny...

Hilary? Nope...
Sotomayor? Nope...
Palin? Hahahahah
Oprah? Hahahahaha
Condi? Nope.

The problem is no powerful woman can escape commentary on her looks. It is completely irrelevant what she looks like in terms of competency, but it is always a topic that is covered equally or even more than in some cases than actual accomplishments.

Men don't have this issue. If you are accomplished, no one drones on and on about what you are wearing and how many people think you are hot.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I dress like a slob because I think 'Fashion' is ridiculous. I have much better things to spend money on than something to cover up this gorgeous body of mine.

I just buy whatever is for sale at the thrift store
Yep. This is me also. I get laughed at when I tell certain people that I buy my clothes from Walmart, but then I just tell them American Eagle is laughing at them all the way to the bank for the suckers that they are. They just can't see past the American Eagle or some other rip-off, high class brand name and realize how insane it is to spend $80 on a pair of jeans that cost 50 cents to make in China or Bangladesh. No thanks. I'd rather put that money aside for a trip or something.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,540 times
"Men don't have this issue. If you are accomplished, no one drones on and on about what you are wearing and how many people think you are hot."

Uhh... men and women are DIFFERENT!!!

It's evolution-101. Women are judged by beauty. Men are judged by their ability to be strong and be good providers. It's hard wired. We think we are beyond it but we really aren't. I'm not saying it's ideal or right, just that it "is".

I don't think our brains can evolve as fast as our societies and cultures are changing.

A lowly employed, unsuccessful, broke guy who is shy and timid gets judged just as harshly as an unattractive, overweight woman no matter WHAT their other qualities may be.

Complaining that it isn't fair that men aren't judged by appearances the same as women is ridiculous and silly. It's Apples and Oranges!

Men and women are attracted to different things, they have different drives and they judge someone's "worth" by different criteria and by extension, SOCIETY judges
men and women by different criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty