U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:14 AM

18,261 posts, read 20,361,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
I am just wondering i don't see it anymore for those who don't know its a shirt with an alliagotor on it. It use to be for very classy men and now i see a lot of people who wear ralph lauren shirts instead.

Here is example: Lacoste L!VE Shirt, Core Slim Fit Pique Polo Shirt - Mens Polos - Macy's

Lacoste is not out of style however I believe that they made a strategic branding move over a decade or so ago to reign in the dilution and loss of exclusivity of the brand (as we are seeing with brands like Coach and Tommy Hilfiger).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,431,268 times
Depends on where you are. Lacoste is nice; R. Lauren doesn't fit; I'm a Tommy guy all the way, as they're well made.
I saw my first turtleneck in twenty-five years yesterday. Like open back dresses, they never should have gone out of style!

Travel a bit:
Calgary, AB women: jeans that don't fit (all brands involved)
Victoria, B.C. women: shiny ski pants (in Vancouver that could get you a fashion police citation of some kind)
Vancouver, B.C. women: lulu lemon with yoga pad with Starbucks coffee cup (seems inseparable)
Ottawa, Ontario women: jeans allowing curves for the hips (French Canadian)

What amazes me is that fashion retailers can figure this all out.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:14 AM

227 posts, read 901,620 times
Another thing what is good about lacoste is there bright colors.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 AM

12,920 posts, read 14,353,526 times
I always thought the little alligators (and polo emblems) and designer labels were tacky.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 AM

4,830 posts, read 7,808,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Lacoste like Polo Ralph Lauren have never been "" out "" of style.

Polo shirts along with button down oxfords and other clothing items are traditionally always in style.

The biggest mistake of both Lacoste and Ralph Lauren was to make their logo's extremely large on shirts.

It was tacky, garish and in poor taste. Anyone of style substance and dignity would never succumb to the whims of this embarrassing trend.
Both my wife and I are working professionals and we both have Lacoste branded clothing in our respective closets, what we don't have is bad taste.

I recall the alligator on Lacoste as being small just as the polo player on the RL was small also.

Those huge horses on the shirts are NOT Ralph Lauren Polo. They're made by a company called US Polo Assn. The Ralph Lauren company actually sued them for using the name Polo and having a similar logo.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:34 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,861,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I recall the alligator on Lacoste as being small just as the polo player on the RL was small also.

Those huge horses on the shirts are NOT Ralph Lauren Polo. They're made by a company called US Polo Assn. The Ralph Lauren company actually sued them for using the name Polo and having a similar logo.
Incorrect;

I'm well aware of U.S. Polo Assn. That "" brand "" is a tacky, garish wash rag line found in discount clothiers.

On one of my business jaunts to NYC I went into Lacoste as well as Ralph Lauren, both at that time were following the big logo trend. Ralph Lauren's site displaying their "" Big Pony Polo Line"" is given here; http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...ductId=2019244

Polo By Ralph Lauren Example here;

And here;

And Lacoste Big Logo here;

And here;

I'm a traditional clothing snob, I am extremely well versed in all things concerning these brands as well as Brooks Brothers, Lord & Taylor, etc.

Both Lacoste and Polo by Ralph Lauren have been on this garish big logo trend for awhile and thank God it's about over.

Last edited by julian17033; 03-31-2013 at 09:43 AM..

Old 03-31-2013, 12:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 7,387,219 times
The huge logo's are tacky, yes.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:51 PM

4,830 posts, read 7,808,883 times
Oh my goodness..... I've never seen RL of Lacoste like those (thankfully!). They are horrible but I think it was in response to that US Polo Assn issue. A lot of the kids at my daughter's school wear USPA but I won't buy it for her. I explained to her it's nothing but ghetto RL and a complete ripoff on a longtime classic American brand.

Much as I love RL, I would never in a million years purchase anything with a huge embellishment like that!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:18 PM

227 posts, read 901,620 times
This is big pony ralph lauren it will look great.

Classic-Fit Big Pony Polo - Classic-Fit * Polos - RalphLauren.com

The big alliagtor on the lacoste will look terrible.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:21 PM

723 posts, read 2,020,661 times
Agreed on all counts. I like my lacoste, Love the hoodies and shoes, not big on the polo, but when I saw the giant logo lacoste shirts I said "wtf is this". Infact, I thought it was a knockoff (and this was in the company store at the mall!)

Somebody actually sat down and produced that thing and it actually got approved for mass consumption. The smaller logo is infinitely more classy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty