Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,779,701 times

Advertisements

I hope Christina Hendricks never googles herself.

She is a polarizing figure, huh? I think she looks dreadful most of the time, on every red carpet with her breasts pushed right up to her chin and out in the real world looking frumpy. But on the set of Mad Men I think she looks absolutely unreal gorgeous. I don't know if its because those clothes flatter her or if she has an elaborate set of girdles and pulleys keeping her in place but either way she looks stunning.

In conclusion, whether she is fat or chubby or average or slim, I think she should dress as Joan Holloway 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

She is a polarizing figure, huh? I think she looks dreadful most of the time, on every red carpet with her breasts pushed right up to her chin and out in the real world looking frumpy. But on the set of Mad Men I think she looks absolutely unreal gorgeous. I don't know if its because those clothes flatter her or if she has an elaborate set of girdles and pulleys keeping her in place but either way she looks stunning.

In conclusion, whether she is fat or chubby or average or slim, I think she should dress as Joan Holloway 24/7.
I have a body very similar to hers and I can testify that it's EXTREMELY difficult to dress well. I know she has the money and whatnot, but while a very thin person could throw on a button up shirt and jeans to go shopping and look cute, her boobs will make that shirt look like a tent and make her looks MUCH larger than she really is. Hell, I've taken pictures on same day wearing different outfits and go from looking great to looking horribly obese. I've learned to love elastic belts that cinch right under my boobs for this reason and I wear them fairly often otherwise a shirt or sweater can make me look much larger than I really am.

Incidentally, during my 'rocakbilly' phase I dressed like Joan on Mad Men often (this was quite a bit before the show came out though) and its uncomfortable and time consuming. Those dresses were not forgiving like today's fashion. Yick. Special occasions only, now

Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh yes, on those pictures that you've posted - definitely.
But watch her here - it's a different story.

Those few extra pounds make a difference for her; that's when from "voluptuous" she turns into "overweight."

So on those Esquires pictures she had simply a different weight - it was not just "photoshop."
And another thing - those chubby girls whose pics I've posted earlier can't be turned into "curvacious," girdles or not. That's why they are "chubby," while that Christina Hendrickson is not, even when she is overweight.
Not sure of your point in posting this video...I still see an overweight woman wearing a waist cincher.

Here she is without the shapewear. Flat butt, thick waist, droopy boobs:

http://cdn.theblemish.com/images/201...COQ_102810.jpg
I think she's put on a few pounds since then too.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 AM

26,772 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

I agree that she looks wonderful in "Mad men."
But then again I've already pointed at it earlier, that she looks very 50ies or 60ies, and so that style of clothing suits her to a "t." No push-up bras, "cleavage-creating bras,"- that stuff that she is using when walking red carpet, apparently; just few pounds lighter, and right kind of clothing - that did a trick for her in Mad Men.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM

95 posts, read 198,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Not sure of your point in posting this video...I still see an overweight woman wearing a waist cincher.

Well that is your opinion I don't think she looks overweight at all. I do see the point of that post. Not everybody wants to look like Kate Moss and not every guy is attracted to kate Moss. Change Kate Moss for Christina in the previous sentence and the same is true.

Thank God people have different taste, otherwise we will all look like clones or be single forever.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 AM

26,772 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post

You are free to see whatever you wish; the reason I've posted that video is simply to point that she indeed has different weight in different pictures, and that makes a lot of difference as far as I can see.
Modern attire - i.e. tight jeans is not the most flattering style for her type of body - that's reserved for women who are more narrow in hips, with longer waist line and long legs ( although her legs are quite proportionate to her height.) It's not flattering, particularly when camera is aimed at this angle. ( You do realize, that in movies the type of body/face of each and every actor is carefully studied in order to present them in best way possible?) As for "waist cincher" - I don't see her wearing it with jeans in both pictures; she is just naturally curvy ( although obviously it shows more when she wears it under those classy dresses,) and with or without it she still has those curves. That's what "voluptuousness" is - same case as with Marylin Monroe, who also had tendency to add some pounds.
Whether one likes this type of beauty or not - it's already a matter of personal preference, but when you leave it up to men to judge, there are enough of them it seems who appreciate it.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,744 times
Default biological-based cultural prejudices

Back in the day and in much of the 3rd World (which have faster growing economies than we do nowadays)
women were assessed for child-bearing capacity. Wide hips, full breasts, etc indicated what was thought to be a prime child bearer. However have you noticed that none of the models in NYC or LA or France for that matter are what you call "real women".

Society is still so sexist, even in nations with so-called progressive gender viewpoints like China, Cuba, etc that women with curves, a woman's appearance, comes first. Have you ever noticed that there are few what are referred to as "unattractive woman" in television broadcasting and films? Like the "height" of men (a tall man is preferred by most women..not sure why as tall men are no more masculine than average or short men...from one who has played many sports and spent considerable time in locker rooms) and their vocational/financial success. It is just cultural baggage that falls on both genders. Perhaps in the future, like racial stereotyping, these cultural prejudices will fade out. But I am not holding my breath waiting.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 AM

95 posts, read 198,436 times
Well you are trying to get ratings, it is easier if you put beautiful people

Fashion shows are watched by women and gay men. Thin women are attractive and unthreatening to the less curvy ladies who find them skanky and fat. When you watch the "guys" channels or read men's magazines you will find more curves because that is their target audience, men. Men like to watch curves

I don't see anything wrong with putting beautiful people on tv. The only problem I have is with fake unrealistic looks like women full of silicone or women who are so thin they are unhealthy. If people are not smart enough to figure out that most of us cannot look like Goerge Clooney or Jessica Alba then they need a brain transplant not a boob job.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 PM

711 posts, read 2,106,972 times
It's all about political correctness.

Picture of a fat girl with stretch marks "brave" enolugh to show her body gets "you are so beautiful!" "don't let anyone tell you that you aren't perfect!" Girl with 6 pack abs "Disgusting!" "Eat a burger!"

Old 04-04-2013, 12:42 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Pulcino Pio View Post
Well that is your opinion I don't think she looks overweight at all. I do see the point of that post. Not everybody wants to look like Kate Moss and not every guy is attracted to kate Moss. Change Kate Moss for Christina in the previous sentence and the same is true.

Thank God people have different taste, otherwise we will all look like clones or be single forever.
Correct that is my opinion, hence the reason why it appears under my user name.

By the way, Kate Moss and Christina Hendricks aren't the only body types out there. There are a great many of us who aren't underweight nor overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty