U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times

Advertisements

I wonder if it's just where I live in Australia, but I've noticed that skirts - of whatever length - seem to be a lot less common than they used to be. The decline began in the early 2000s. When i was in high school a lot of the girls would wear those short skirts, but nowadays most teenage girls seem to wear those short shorts if not pants. Dresses actually still seem not that uncommon, yet for some reason skirts are less in fashion here. Middle aged women these days are much more likely to wear pants than skirts nowadays. I've even noticed primary school uniforms for girls now include shorts include of a skirt. Maybe the trend will reverse again, as fashions come and go, but it's just something I've observed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 02:32 PM

10,542 posts, read 4,675,530 times
Can't give a scientific/studied answer, only the anecdotal response of one person, me.

Have never been the sort to wear dresses/skirts, bc. they are not conducive to my getting stuff done.
I walk everywhere, so pants/shorts are functional & comfortable for such activities.
I detest sensation of my legs touching each other, which is a hazard of skirts/dresses.
Also, I wouldn't wear sneakers with a dress/skirt, and dress shoes-while they look lovely-are utterly impractical for walking places.

My lifestyle is such that I've no occasions to attend that would warrant fancy outfit or trying to appear "feminine".
Not to mention, I just don't care for how dresses/skirts look on my body shape.

So, I wear a skirt or dress maybe 3x/year, in summer.
I do live in a generally cold climate, so I imagine I'm not alone in my fashion/sartorial choices...

But that's merely one person's opinion/impression (reasons)-don't know about anyone else.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:50 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
They're common enough, here, though not in my actual line of work, where people are generally literally on the floor, working with disabled kids...need a better range and ease of movement than skirts and dresses would allow.

For myself, I tend to prefer dresses to skirts. Part of the benefit of a dress is that it's all one piece and you don't have to coordinate an entire outfit. I wear dresses more in the spring and summer months than in cooler weather, because I don't do shorts, period, and a sundress is the reasonable alternative if you're not gonna wear shorts. When it's hot, I pretty much live in sundresses.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:29 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,914,194 times
I'm in suburban Tucson, Arizona, USA. Very few skirts here. The only ones I see are in formal offices (which are few and far between) or long, loose cotton ones worn for dressy-casual, usually with tank tops.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM

5,258 posts, read 7,787,752 times
Not overly common here. It's more about shorts and jeans, although I do see casual skirts every now and then. Personally, I'm really not much of a skirt person, nor do I pay much attention to whether women wear them, but based on my perceptions, it seems as though they're not huge here.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:11 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
I've seen a lot of long dresses lately, and the teachers at my daughter's school wear skirts.

Personally I dislike skirts because they get in my way, they usually have to be worn with a slip, they're hotter (temperature, not appeal) than pants, and they mostly don't have pockets. They're useless for riding a bike or walking a dog, things which I do several times a day.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:16 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,258,861 times
From my observations where I spend most of my time (large public university), everyone wears yoga pants. EVERYONE!

When I see a skirt or dress I am startled. Well except on "job fair" days on campus. Then I see lots of young women who look like they are wearing their mother's skirt suits.

Personally I wear dresses and skirts about equally and pants less often. I've always been that way. More comfy to me.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:22 PM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
I like them. I buy them, but hardly ever wear them. Not sure why.
The one I wear the most is a long one I tend to wear in the evening with a sleeveless top in the hot weather. This is funny, because I hate long skirts in general, but like the look of above the knee skirts I would wear in place or shorts.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,482,726 times
It has to be the right skirt, but I like them also - love a classy pencil skirt. I like a nice khaki skirt and a white blouse and sandals in the summer....I have a faux wrap red and white bandana print skirt that I love to wear in the summer- great with a cute t-shirt and sandals. I also think straight jean skirts are cute with tennis shoes and a t-shirt

Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
At work here in DC my female co-workers where dresses/skirts and pants -- maybe even 50/50.

Me, I haven't worn a dress/skirt in well over a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty