Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 AM

8,265 posts, read 8,641,305 times

Advertisements

Most of the men in my family do not have wedding rings. Father, grandfathers, uncles, and brother in laws don't have rings to wear. I can't remember any of my friends wearing rings. And for ruth4truth, half of them are Croatian and a few are Russian. Most of the rest are Slovak and Poles if anyone is keeping score at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I quit wearing mine when it caught while I was working and nearly took my finger off.
My brother nearly lost his finger while washing a Chevy van. His ring caught on the roof rack as he jumped down from washing the top.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,252,882 times
From "Neil Armstrong" Wikipedia entry:

In the fall of 1979, Armstrong was working at his farm near Lebanon, Ohio. As he jumped off of the back of his grain truck, his wedding ring caught in the wheel, tearing off the tip of his ring finger. He collected the severed digit and packed it in ice, and surgeons reattached it at the Jewish Hospital in Louisville, Kentucky.[

For me, it's just a matter of not liking jewelry.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
IN all actuality a ring or no ring -- doesn't mean much to either sex. I had a friend (note past tense) who preferred married men. They fit nicely into her lifestyle and generally didn't give her any trouble when she kicked them to the curb.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:26 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What do you think the biggest reasons are?

Irritates their hand?
Want to look "available"?
Keeps it in safe place like a safe deposit box?

I wear mine. I can't think of a reason not to wear it. Why do so many married not wear their rings?
Get the ring caught in a spinning tool of any kind and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I don't wear the ring in daily life but if we go somewhere to an event of any significance, I put it on. In my daily life I like to work with lots of tools for my hobbies and fixing things around the place. Using many of the tools, gloves are a hazard and rings are just a finger loss waiting to happen.

What is in the mind secures the relationship, not the ring. The ring is a symbol, the mind the reality.

Study after study has shown that women will "hit" on a man wearing a ring as often or more so than one who doesn't wear one. Supposedly, it is the idea that if one woman thought the man was good..sort of like a screener.

If wearing a ring was an indicator than someone wasn't available, how then to explain the rates at which women get involved with married men? They aren't all taking their rings off are they?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Study after study has shown that women will "hit" on a man wearing a ring as often or more so than one who doesn't wear one. Supposedly, it is the idea that if one woman thought the man was good..sort of like a screener.
I told my girlfriend I don't plan on wearing a ring when/if we get married and she said she was glad for this very reason. As she put it, women see a guy with a ring as worth pursuing. They see a guy without a ring and wonder what the problem is.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
As she put it, women see a guy with a ring as worth pursuing.
Maybe I should wear three or four rings?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,165,670 times
I lost my first one.
It was a little loose and I lost it working on the farm.
The wife wasn't happy.

I wear the 2nd one when we go out.

I work with machinery, it's tough on a expensive ring plus you could loose a finger if it gets caught on something.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I literally never worry about it when my husband doesn't wear his ring, whether he's with me or not (and it's USUALLY when he's out of town, because he works out of town and works in an industrial setting - it would be ridiculous for him to take that ring with him and slip it on every evening and off again every day. Can you say "LOST RING?").

I am not at all an insecure person, and I'm married to a good man. He's not cheating on me. That's honestly the least of my concerns. I'm more concerned about how well the Saints will do this upcoming season! Or whether or not I remembered to give my dogs their flea and tick treatment on the 1st of April.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 PM

685 posts, read 1,104,709 times
My grandfather has NEVER taken his ring off. That's right. And my g-ma has passed away. He wore that ring every day as a fire fighter for 25 years too. I guess he wasn't afraid of loosing it or getting a burn or whatever fighting fires for a living. But that was men then from his generation..

To some, it's not just jewelry. To me, it tells the outside world that you took a vow. I'm not a "jewelry" person either. I have lost earring, bracelets, you name it. I misplace things all the time, yet I somehow always remember to put my ring on when I leave the house. It's pretty much the only piece of jewelry I wear. My husband always wears his too and I would find it quite odd if it was too much for him to wear it. Guess we're old school. Also, no ring is going to fall off if it's fitted properly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty