U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,605,701 times

Advertisements

Yes, men will be adding skirts to their wardrobe, any day, now.
NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM

20,071 posts, read 13,747,950 times
That's just wrong...PERIOD!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,719,242 times
We see this quite a bit in Oregon already, especially the hipsters in Portland. Personally, I think it's like stretched earlobes, tattoos, piercings, etc. It's just something a certain type of personality does for attention. It's the VooDoo Doughnut of men's fashion du jour, I suppose. It'll pass. Someday. (Hopefully.)

Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM

582 posts, read 888,025 times
I certainly hope not, especially on windy days. But then again, if David Beckham is the person in question on this windy day… .

Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 PM

6,229 posts, read 9,510,885 times
Now now. Not ever. Scotland and the pacific island nations are the only places on Earth that I know of where skirts are acceptable masculine wear.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
To be fair, even in Scotland, it's largely ceremonial/formal or uniform-regimental settings when men wear kilts...it's not standard everyday wear for most.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:57 PM

62 posts, read 65,649 times
No. Shorts are more practical for men if they want to wear something to keep them cool.

Skirts do not at all look flattering on men.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:36 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,237,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Now now. Not ever. Scotland and the pacific island nations are the only places on Earth that I know of where skirts are acceptable masculine wear.
Think again, an Indian guy comes with an ankle-length skirt at his work at my former workplace. It is their national wear and all guys wear it back home as well. It's rather about those mini-skirts that women wear, tanga underwear and high heels - I can't see it happening, ever.

Also, most of the traditional Slav shirts are almost exclusively elongated and are length of a mini-skirt, usually trimmed to fit the body anatomy of a man. Basically it's like when a woman wears tight trousers and still wears a mini skirt over it (but in the case of man, it's the elongated shirt followed with baggy trousers). Slavs are the most numerous European group of nations, mainly inhabiting eastern Europe and Northern Asia.

Also, overwhelming parts of Eastern Europe, Iran, and Central Asia also have various versions of katfants/cherkez/random coats that are either resembling a long full-body dress or are literally reaching your feet/ground with their length. Coat is considered as manly as you can get over here where I live, not the suit or anything else. And it often looks like you're wearing some kind of long dress/robes, indeed, especially with specially sylized male coats.

Many kaftans/coats are either collarless or with large collars, either about the knee length or completely reaching the ground, being one-colored or with various decorations engraved in it, people often even wear some sort of shawl around your waist to tighten it and then it fully looks like a long skirt, with boots often barely being visible. When you add to the point that you wear shawl around your neck or even face and that vast majority wears large hats during cold climate/snow - you'd hardly sometimes know if it's a man or woman unless you know what dressing is male or female.
Long coat is just considered bad-a$$. Most of those long coats really do make you like an epic character from your favorite movie or anime show. Ceremonial suits are often accompanied with szablyas or other types of swords and long knives.
I've planned to wear my traditional coat in the USA, but it would make me like a visible foreigner 24/7 when I wear it. The Indian guy got mugged twice and had multiple troublesand still wears the clothings from his country, talk about someone's persistence

And here are female versions:
1. http://www.iphonebok.com/wp-content/...ssack-hat1.jpg
2. http://www.c-and-a.com.cn/en/fashion...g/yessica3.jpg
3. Kaftan,View farasha, Product Details from D. E. CORP on Alibaba.com
4. Emirati label Keswah makes versatile kaftans » La Moda Dubai | The UAE's authoritative source for all things fashion, beauty, celebrity, and glamour.
5. Khaleeji Kaftan from Maxim Creation,Mumbai,Maharashtra,India,ID: 4290759562
etc.

Those would be some of the fashion designs for women outside of Western world for some hats and clothings. Keep in mind that those wears are historically stemming from men's wears, but those were re-worked to have feminine designs - including cutting the coat length or making kaftan transparent, making feminine-looking hats, etc. It's more associated with elegance in female wear than with sexiness, which is why it isn't really a mainstream like short, tight miniskit & high heels are, for example, and it never will be, at least for the Western world.
Of course there are more conservative versions of those clothings for more conservative countries, usually fully enclosing bodies in a way a non-transparent kaftans and dresses would, or they wear longer coats & hats. Western designers do try to popularize it with more of a sexier outfit based on those clothings, but the mainstream is still revolving on good old tight mini-skirt, big cleavage and heels.
But the thing is that those clothings that are posted are rather originally stemming from male-wear, generally from military or highly influential personalities or historical figures.

So basically speaking - in most parts of the world guys tend to build up more layers of clothes as a preference rather than being shirtless or with bare legs. Thus it clearly cannot bring any sex appeal. When it comes to men's clothes, guys are rather into heroic looks in appearance: the less the other guys can see of you - the more mysterious/epic you look. That's why every single superhero generally wears a full-body suit, a cape/coat/etc and that's why it never gets old. Women will have to live with that fact

Last edited by nald; 04-19-2013 at 05:48 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 PM

222 posts, read 355,789 times
Not in my lifetime! You couldn't pay me to wear one of those, lol!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,075,318 times
no, let's move forward, not backwards, let's just get rid of the most uncomfortable piece of clothing ever created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty