U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:00 PM

253 posts, read 180,280 times

Advertisements

I don't see why skirts won't come back into style for men. They continue to be common in many areas of the world. Probably the main thing preventing broad male skirt fashion right now is rampant sexism and misogyny. Get the right people (think mega entertainment stars) wearing them frequently, and they'd have a good shot at returning to mainstream fashion.

One potential issue (among many issues, of course) that male skirts would face would be the body hair issue. Body hair in business is, for whatever reason, considered gauche and unprofessional in workplaces. For decades, women have been forced to groom themselves so as to appear prepubescent if they wished to wear skirts in most workplaces, and often they've also had to wear pantyhose to highlight the smoothness of their legs. Men returning to skirts may significantly alter the public perception of body hair, which I'm all for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 12:18 PM

13,349 posts, read 12,016,896 times
LOL...men don't look good in skirts. Sorry!

Old 07-28-2016, 01:48 PM

4,306 posts, read 2,313,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Men are allowed to go right outside with no shirt on in hot weather. Women are not. Where's the quality for that?
That's true, lol!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:49 AM

2,730 posts, read 1,994,319 times
I am ok with guys in skirts, not my business. Why it would bother me? Fabric in different shapes, nothing else... Why a guy could not or should not wear skirts? There is no real problem for that.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:38 AM

20,071 posts, read 13,942,664 times
Hair, smells, etc....oh, my! PLEASE... NO!

Old 07-29-2016, 05:33 AM

17 posts, read 7,301 times
In some cultures it will do but never my type, everyone might make fun out of me

Old 07-29-2016, 12:03 PM

638 posts, read 810,878 times
"Men are allowed to go right outside with no shirt on in hot weather. Women are not. Where's the [e]quality for that?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
That's true, lol!
Actually men get glared at for being shirtless in public. It's not a crime, but it's not something you'll see on Main Street at high noon. Whereas women in sleeveless clothes, short skirts, sandals, that's all acceptable in just about every social and business environment, except maybe law and financial firms. Even when people wear shorts, women's are shorter. We've had arguments here about whether a man humiliates himself by wearing shorts that show his knees!

You can point out the topless difference if you want, but in every other context, it's obvious that the female body is far more welcome than the male one.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:42 PM

3,459 posts, read 2,982,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Simple question. Will menswear evolve to include skirts in the same vein as womenswear did to include pants? Discuss.
NO. Its not going to happen. If YOU want to put on skirts and prance around town have at it hoss. This is a free country and you can do what you want to do. If wearing skirts is your thing, DO IT. But it will NOT "evolve" to wear its common for the American man to wear skirts. NOT going to happen.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:20 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,582,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
"Men are allowed to go right outside with no shirt on in hot weather. Women are not. Where's the [e]quality for that?"

Actually men get glared at for being shirtless in public. It's not a crime, but it's not something you'll see on Main Street at high noon. Whereas women in sleeveless clothes, short skirts, sandals, that's all acceptable in just about every social and business environment, except maybe law and financial firms. Even when people wear shorts, women's are shorter. We've had arguments here about whether a man humiliates himself by wearing shorts that show his knees!

You can point out the topless difference if you want, but in every other context, it's obvious that the female body is far more welcome than the male one.
And I guess it depends on where you live. I see plenty of guys strolling down the street shirtless, and with their pants sagging and showing off their underwear during the day.

Look at how male students can go shirtless during sports. But the female students are policed for their attire, claiming it distracts boys if they show off too much. An argument sometimes used again raped women -she was too provocative and asked for it.

A man can be topless, or have his butt crack seen on tv and it is a PG 13. A woman with no shirt and breasts visible will bump a film to an R rating.

But it's not just this bias. Another example is body hair.

Men are allowed to be hairy as gorillas. Women however are expected to spend tons of time, pain, and money shaving everything but their head, despite being born with body hair, just as men are. Let a woman go outside wearing a skirt and having not shaved her legs. Many are gonna find that nasty. Nobody gives a flying fig about a man's legs being hairy.

Like stated, women don't have to shave. And men are free to wear skirts. But neither is exactly popular these days lol You can still do them however.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:52 PM

23,299 posts, read 22,306,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
NO. Its not going to happen. If YOU want to put on skirts and prance around town have at it hoss. This is a free country and you can do what you want to do. If wearing skirts is your thing, DO IT. But it will NOT "evolve" to wear its common for the American man to wear skirts. NOT going to happen.
Prance around. Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty