U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 11:30 PM

641 posts, read 812,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
And I guess it depends on where you live. I see plenty of guys strolling down the street shirtless, and with their pants sagging and showing off their underwear during the day.

Men are allowed to be hairy as gorillas. Women however are expected to spend tons of time, pain, and money shaving everything but their head, despite being born with body hair, just as men are. Let a woman go outside wearing a skirt and having not shaved her legs. Many are gonna find that nasty. Nobody gives a flying fig about a man's legs being hairy.

Like stated, women don't have to shave. And men are free to wear skirts. But neither is exactly popular these days lol You can still do them however.
I wish you'd filled out your profile, so it would be clear which region of the country (or which country!) you're seeing these shirtless guys in. It's not common in my neighborhood.

You're right that women are expected to shave body hair, but that only applies if they show the areas of the body where the hair grows. They have the option of long pants/skirts/leggings, and tops with sleeves, and then who'd know? For men, most of the time, covering up is the only option. It is true that in informal circumstances, men can wear shorts (as I said, longer than women's shorts) without shaving, but the female body is welcome just about anywhere, any time. I wonder if when we guys start wearing skirts, shaven legs will be expected as part of the look; it would be logical.

It's funny how you sometimes hear complaints that women are expected to shave body hair, but it's never connected with the obvious fact everywhere in summer, that women wear fewer clothes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 12:32 AM

23,353 posts, read 22,345,029 times
You weren't around in the '70's? OMG, check out the basketball uniforms and the runners. There were some serious hot pants on guys back then.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:44 AM

774 posts, read 1,655,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
omg eww! i hope not
I always found it interesting that this is the way most women feel about a man wearing anything that leaves any part of the leg above the knee bare. Up until about 25 years ago, short shorts were the norm for men and until the Hip Hop, Grunge, and Skater movements of the late 80s and early 90s, nobody had a problem with it. I don't remember skirts being fashionable though and I don't think they ever will. While women are pretty much free to wear any style of clothing they want, it is still very much taboo for a man to wear clothing that is thought of as female.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:10 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,839,651 times
I see men wearing suits in the summer, and I don't know how they do it. It looks inhumane to me.

Men should adopt togas for office attire in the summer. I think that's reasonable.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:11 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,279,943 times
I wonder if men were discussing such topics during the women's suffrage movement? "Why would a woman want to work? Or vote? Why would a woman want to wear pants? It's the end if the human race, gentlemen. If we allow all this to happen surely all women will become lesbians and the human race will die out for sure!"

Old 07-31-2016, 01:16 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,279,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
no, let's move forward, not backwards, let's just get rid of the most uncomfortable piece of clothing ever created.
You're not wearing the right ones apparently

Old 07-31-2016, 03:11 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,351,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I see men wearing suits in the summer, and I don't know how they do it. It looks inhumane to me.

Men should adopt togas for office attire in the summer. I think that's reasonable.
It is completely inhumane! And yes, we are all secretly jealous of the ladies in the office who get to wear sleeveless tops and short skirts in the summer (the equivalent of us wearing shorts and a tank top...aka beachwear).

Old 08-01-2016, 02:27 AM

219 posts, read 92,965 times
I doubt it will become unisex however more people will be open to men wearing skirts. I doubt it'll ever become huge, probably more of a generational thing, and doubtful it'll be allowed in a workplace environment. I have nothing against them, where whatever you want just don't push it on me, but guys have been wearing pants for hundreds of years.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:22 AM

997 posts, read 531,953 times
I have seen men wearing these kilt like things. They aren't kilts but they are supposed to be like kilts. This was very rare but I didn't care. Traditional kilts for ceremonial rites are fine. That is a cultural thing.

I wouldn't care if men wore skirts or kilts or sarongs but I don't think it is going to take off as a fashion trend. Men like to wear jeans and a T-shirt. Women like that too, so I think the Jeans and T-shirt fashion is going to stick around and the skirt fashion is not. It just isn't practical.

What kind of shoes would men wear with their skirts? That was always the problem with skirt wearing.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:47 AM

1,318 posts, read 550,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Men are allowed to go right outside with no shirt on in hot weather. Women are not. Where's the quality for that?

Women CAN go out shirtless/topless, but wisely they don't.
I for one would have difficulty averting my eyes, and I think that you meant equality, not quality, although if the boobs were not enormous, but shapely, I'd probably consider them as quality in the mini-second before I DID avert my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty